What purification tablets do you use in the freshwater tank (1 Viewer)

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
as above, I've just cleaned all the tank and pipes, now what purification tabs do you use ?

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
If we're leaving it for more than 3 or 4 weeks and it's over 25c we add a few drops if Elsil. It's designed for the job - depending on dose it either stabilises or purifies the water, is safe for the boiler and plastics etc., and economic. You can buy it on Amazon etc... https://www.elsan.co.uk/drinking-water-management.aspx

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We don’t. We filter water into a food standard container to drink and leave the tank to its own devices.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Babies bottles are plastic, not stainless steel. And they don't have Milton solution in them all the time, unlike a Truma boiler.

John's Cross told me the probable cause of the leaks were the use of Milton type purifierers which I think they said attacked the slight impurities in SS, which caused the pin prick leaks.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Babies bottles are plastic, not stainless steel. And they don't have Milton solution in them all the time, unlike a Truma boiler.

John's Cross told me the probable cause of the leaks were the use of Milton type purifierers which I think they said attacked the slight impurities in SS, which caused the pin prick leaks.
They'll on,y do that if you leave it standing and use a strong mix. Couple of drops milton and rinse

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
They'll on,y do that if you leave it standing and use a strong mix. Couple of drops milton and rinse
You need more than a couple of drops to make any difference for cleanliness of the whole water system in a motorhome, unless you are a believer in homeopathy.

The OP was asking about continual use for "purification", not just used for a quick clean then flush.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years

They'll on,y do that if you leave it standing and use a strong mix. Couple of drop
You need more than a couple of drops to make any difference for cleanliness of the whole water system in a motorhome, unless you are a believer in homeopathy.

The OP was asking about continual use for "purification", not just used for a quick clean then flush.
Actually you don't. It's strong stuff. You need about 5mg per litre of free chlorine for an hour to kill any bacteria.

I think Milton is 5% w/w free chlorine. That's 5grams per 100mls. I'll do the maths later as I am watching the mighty LUFC but it's not much.

People always use far too much bleach. That's the issue. It's not an oxidizing agent at low concentrations and will not attack stainless steel.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
What is a "purification tab"?

Sounds a tad religious to me...

JJ :cool:
Better than sterilisation. That doesn't sound good.

Nov 19, 2010
Walking the dog
Funster No
MH
Hymer 680 Starline
Exp
since 2012
Truma recommend....

"Add 2 litres of white wine vinegar to 10-12 litres of water into the tank. Open the taps to draw through the system including the boiler, leave for 4-5 hours and then flush through. " Simples.

Terry

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Milton is what Swift recommended, but use only as described ie quantity and only leave in for 15 minutes max then flush through until no taste at the taps, 3 full flushes I did. Never caused our van any problems in 9 years

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Milton is what Swift recommended, but use only as described ie quantity and only leave in for 15 minutes max then flush through until no taste at the taps, 3 full flushes I did. Never caused our van any problems in 9 years
Sounds good advice to me.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Truma recommend....

"Add 2 litres of white wine vinegar to 10-12 litres of water into the tank. Open the taps to draw through the system including the boiler, leave for 4-5 hours and then flush through. " Simples.

Terry
And Truma's instructions also states when cleaning and sterilising that "Products containing chlorine must not be used".

Milton contains chlorine.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
I see the theory - He would be wrong though. By the time the water gets to your home there is normally only a small amount left and by the time you have squirted it into a tank there will be virtually none in most cases.

However all you need to do is re add what the water company put in.

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
I never cleaned out my water tanks on my boat and the water remained in there for months on end. I drank it in smallish quantities( prefer tea & coffee) with no apparent ill-effects. Whether it will preclude a telegram from the Monarch is too early to say.

OP
OP
bigalw35
Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
Many thanks to all who answered, after reading all the posts and various company blurb I went for Elsil, time will tell if I’m wrong ?

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Many thanks to all who answered, after reading all the posts and various company blurb I went for Elsil, time will tell if I’m wrong ?
It will be fine. Hydrogen peroxide is an oxidising agent that disinfects water just like chlorine.

It has the advantage that it decays quickly and has no taste

It has the disadvantage that it decays quickly so is not as effective over a long period

At high concentrations it is corrosive to stainless steel. But like chlorine, you won't have high concentrations

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Puritan fro a Motorhome. (d) “Stealer” 1 tab does 250 ltr so 1/2 a tab four 100ltr tank.
Particularly after standing for as long as ours has 🤬
Mitch

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back