What Polish (1 Viewer)

R

RogerD

Deleted User
When you have got your motorhome nice and clean, what polish do you use? Is there a good one for my 2 acres of plastic. What polish do you people use. Or do they not need any polish?

H

Hugh Jardon

Deleted User
well not sure on the motorhome yet but i have discovered a fantastic polish for cars and i will be trying it on the motorhome

you can get it from halfords, and it is colour coded to your cars colour and it comes with a touch up lipstick thing for touching up stone chips

i have sold a few cars recently and have used it to amazing effect for hiding the minor scratchs and giving the car a really nice shine

it is easy to apply dry or in the damp and very easy to polish off and does not leave those annoying marks on the rubber or trim

cost around 8 quid and superb stuff i must say

i will get a white one for the motorhome for sure

Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi RogerD,

Some info on the polishing of my Winnie from another site. It may contain too much information, but I hope you find it of use. The process is one that is used by detailer's and the Porter Cable I mention is a device that looks like an angle grinder but specifically designed for the job:

The Winnie detail (polishing) has started. Spent 7 hours today doing 2/3 rds of one side! About 20ft x 10ft. For my first attempt using the Porter Cable (PC) polisher I am not too fussed with the time. I did part of the RV by hand last year using T Cut and Megs Pure Wax. I took a weekend to do about 10ft x 10ft and the finish was nothing like I have achieved today. I am sure when I continue tomorrow I will be quicker with my new found experience.

Having washed the MH last week, all I did to start was use a product called Quick Detailer (QD) and a clay. These two products basically take out of the paint work any particles that have been embedded and will not come out with washing. In the detailing world this is fundamental to getting a good finish. You can tell if your car needs it by putting your hand in a plastic bag - like you get at the veg counter at supermarket - and running your hand along the paintwork. You will be amazed at just how much there is in the paintwork, even on a new car.

I used Megsuiars (Megs) One Step Compound no 67 for RV's and the yellow SFX-1 pad from my new PC kit. Spread at speed 1 and then up to 6. About three passes and then buffed up using a micro fibre (MF) cloth.

Went over this with Megs Pure Wax no 56 for RV's again about three passes using the blue high gloss polishing pad. Spread at 1 and polished at 5. Buffed up with MF cloth.

Finally I used Jetseal 109 which is an amazing product that totally seals the paint. It was developed for the aerospace industry but has recently become available for the automotive world.

For interest I had a go at cutting stage using a product called Menzerna PO85RD Final Finish as I had a couple of places where I could not get totally rid of the clouding. I found this to not work at all on the RV and reverted back to the Megs 67.

DSCF9275.jpg

DSCF9278.jpg

DSCF9281.jpg

Above piccies where taken a couple of hours in. The stunning bit for me was the bottom dark grey area. This paint has been very mottled since I bought the RV and further investigation shows this is common. The paint just fell off as I was polishing. Totally wrecked the pads and had to wash part way through.

Some of the info above may not be of use to you, but I have included it for those who may wish to do the same. Anyone needing additional information please let me know and I will point you in the right direction.

Nackered now and enjoying a glass of red! Will continue with the efforts tomorrow. If I have time I may do the bonnet of the Disco.

Regards

Chris

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Polishing Fibreglass

Hi Chris,

Some good info there, thanks.

My trouble,( probably the same as Roger D's), is the fibreglass front and rear. I have used a pucker cutting liquid from a major boat builder, with an electric polisher. The finish is excellent. I then apply proper fibreglass polish from International Paints.

By the time I am done, it looks brilliant, until a few weeks down the line, and it all goes dull and flat again. In contrast, the painted sidewalls have only been polished once in the last 2.5 years, and they are very shiny.

Keith (KandS) used "Muck Off" on the rear wall of our MH, which left a great finish, however, when it rained, it brought all the muck down from the roof and left black streaks all over the back wall, much more than it normally would.

Any ideas on the flat looking fibreglass issue please?

Cheers,

Jock.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
I used some of this on my boat very good stuff but not that cheep ..

www.poliglow.co.uk i will be giving it a go on the rv :Smile:

FORDY:Smile:

Hi Gary,

Thanks, (again :winky:),

I'd be pleased to know how you get on with it, re the RV.

Cheers,

Jock.

Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Jock,

Sorry it took a while to come back. Just giving this some thought, my Winnie is fibreglass! So what I have done should be the same for you I think?

I believe but stand to be corrected my sides are gel coat fibreglass and the front is just fibrelass like on a kit car.

The only difference with the front is it was more faded and took a lot longer to sort. It is still not perfect but the Winnie is a few years old and will take me a bit more work. It is of course important not to use a normal car polisher on fibreglass because it cannot dissipate heat like metal can. This is why the porta cable is better but must still be run at low speeds.

Don't suppose you are going to Shepton show? If so we can have a look there and I will bring my kit with me.

Regards

Chris

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I managed to burn straight through my graphics with a proper polisher.

Would love to watch how you do it Chris.

My baby sorely needs it.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Don't suppose you are going to Shepton show? If so we can have a look there and I will bring my kit with me.
Hi Chris,

Sorry but no, we're not going to Shepton. A shame really as I would liked to have viewed your hardwork and progress.

I managed to burn straight through my graphics with a proper polisher.

Hi John,

I did manage to catch the graphics on the rear panel too, but not so much that one would notice. Phew. :blush:

I am also looking at the "Poliglow" product that Fordy recommended, and am waiting for a reply from them.

Jock

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Hi all again,

Just gone through my emails, and came across the reply I was waiting for.......

Hi Jock,

Thank you for your interest in Poliglow.

I believe that Poliglow is used quite widely on motor homes in America. There is some need for caution for use on cars, as the paints used in the automotive industry are not as hard and chemical resistant as those in the marine industry.

Poliglow has been designed for the regeneration and protection of older gelcoats, therefore it should be just what you need.
The marine environment is very corrosive and whilst you will get road dirt on your motorhome the Poliglow will stop dirt getting into the microscopic holes and therefore be easier to wash off.
Once Poliglow has been applied, I would expect it to last 9 to 12 months, and be easy to keep clean and reapply.
Poliglow is easy to apply, and avoids the need for the "cutting " of the gel coat which will eventually become thin.You need only apply a couple of maintenance coats (9 to 12 months down the line) after the initial application.
I have been using Poliglow for many years and know the results that can be obtained with it, however if you are disappointed with the results within a 6 month time frame we will refund the cost (minus a small admin charge and delivery), though I have every faith that you will love it ! To date we have not had a disappointed customer!

Look forward to hearing from you

Kind regards
Vincent Cook

A very quick response, especially on a Sunday. Sounds like a decent product too.

Jock.

F

fordy

Deleted User
Nice one jock and they have been going for a good few years now i see there is rvs planes and boats on the packing :roflmto: i will be buying some more ,,

Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Like the sound of the Poli Glow so bought some to take to Shepton and try it out, however, having paid dearly for delivery - £20 instead of £4 - I am unable to go due to a severe back problem!

It has arrived and I will give it a go when I feel up to it and let you know how it goes.

Regards

Chris

F

fordy

Deleted User
Hi why £20.00?? sounds a lot for p & p .........
hope the back gets well soon i know what its like :frowny:

Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Fordy,

Guaranteed overnight with signature via Royal Mail for 2.6kg. It is right because over 2kg we use Interlink, but this was at 16:45 yesterday and their courier had gone!

Oh well!

Back is an ongoing nightmare but flared up last week when I was leaving site at Cerne Abbas. I not only felt the discs go but heard them! Ouch! I have a scan that was carried out a few years ago showing them firmly embedded in my spinal cord and bending it! Really horrid, but others have worse. Thanks for your thoughts.

Regards

Chris

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back