What perverse pleasure do hackers get? (1 Viewer)

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
How come these hackers don't use their unquestionable skills to profitable causes? How can breaking someone else's website bring satisfaction.

I am no conspiracy theorists but you wonder if there are darker forces at work?

Steve

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
How come these hackers don't use their unquestionable skills to profitable causes? How can breaking someone else's website bring satisfaction.

I am no conspiracy theorists but you wonder if there are darker forces at work?

Steve

They are looking for new computers to turn into slave BOTS by attacking the server they hope to get control of your/mine computer.

They may have already done it.

Doug...

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Sad idiots they are.........

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I suggest its the challenge....

Many Many years ago, I had an Atari and when I was working on Manchester I met a guy called Rob C, he was the single biggest hacker of software, not to make any profit, but, to remove any protection from the software.

To him it was a challenge, by 'trade' he was a postman, he chose this as it gave him the most free time during the day. he was a very slight, pale man, very this, did not see much daylight, but you should have seen his face when someone brought him a piece of software that had not been broken.

I saw him at work and in those days he could write in machine code 6800, no basic , just an assembler.

I suspect that no end of money would have made him happy, he had found what made him happy.

I have also met individuals who's life revolves around stealing from banks, some are motivated by the same cause, to see how or if it can be done.

Lastly, when I was working for a Software house, one for their staff was an University sandwich student, we named him the 'fat controller' his life revolved around getting past security, we had a hell of a job keeping him out, when we went with him to see clients we would have to keep an eye on every keystoke he did. Again money meant nothing to him...

Does that shed any light?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Steve

I remember as a kid getting huge satisfaction from getting into the Motor Show at Earls Court by finding a side entrance.

I remember getting to the top of Manchester's tallest building.

Harmless fun. A challenge.

Well it's the 21st century and kids have different fun. It does not have to be malicious, just a challenge very much inspired by popular TV and movies. At least it's not like the similarly inspired violence on the streets. It's Graffiti on computers.

So the question is "What is hacking" and there is no single answer, it's from a simple challenge to criminals out to make millions.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The biggest problem is the script kiddies.

There are very few what most would term proper hackers. Ones who investigate a system or piece of software to find a security issue, then write the software to exploit it. Most of the gits download a bit of untested exploit code, do a search on google for the relevant file name and blitz every server they can find irrespective of the OS/Version etc.

I run a bunch of servers and you wouldn't believe the number of attempted attacks I thwart on a minute by minute basis. A good 30% plus are aimed at windows systems and mine all run on Linux.

Scripts kiddies a thick, lazy and irritating but make up the vast majority of the so called hacker damage done on the web. :Angry::Angry::Angry:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
When I graduated in the 1980's I decided not to go to the graduation ball. After a few beers in the pub though a mate and I decided we would gate crash. It was in a big plush hotel in Bristol and the guest of honour was the Solicitor General for England & Wales. There was loads of security as the troubles in Ireland were at their peak.

We rolled up to the front door and were refused entry. We eventually entered via the kitchens and with security agents giving chase ran round and round hotel corridors until we found ourselves in the ballroom. We slipped our jackets off and had a few beers whilst the security guys were going ape and chattering into their walkie talkies. We were about 5 feet away from Sir Patrick Mayhew.

They never found us - thankfully:winky:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
When I graduated in the 1980's I decided not to go to the graduation ball. After a few beers in the pub though a mate and I decided we would gate crash. It was in a big plush hotel in Bristol and the guest of honour was the Solicitor General for England & Wales. There was loads of security as the troubles in Ireland were at their peak.

We rolled up to the front door and were refused entry. We eventually entered via the kitchens and with security agents giving chase ran round and round hotel corridors until we found ourselves in the ballroom. We slipped our jackets off and had a few beers whilst the security guys were going ape and chattering into their walkie talkies. We were about 5 feet away from Sir Patrick Mayhew.

[HI]They never found us - thankfully[/HI]:winky:

They have now....

OP
OP
steveclecy

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
No crime commited though Shiftzz:thumb:

Given time and access, I'm sure I could come up with something illegal to plant in your pocket, change some files, witnesses from Peckham, need I go on?

I'm sure that Jonathan Aitken will have seen you there....

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
How about "looking at me in a funny way", "treading on the cracks in the pavement", "coughing without due care and attention" and "urinating in a public convenience".

I tell you, we are on to you.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BO8EpfyCG2Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If someone can do a Youtube link better than me, please do!

Steve

I think if they had apprehended us at the time they would have given us a hard time before releasing us:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back