What other good GPS is there other than Tom tom &Garmin? (1 Viewer)

Gazzet

Banned
May 29, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
Pilot
Exp
since 2009
My first GPS was from Lidle:Sad:It took a very long time to find satalites could only use degrees and mins.Then i bought a garmin :Smile:which is very good dose everything i want but it now wants to use every side road and needs a update.

I need a new one.I wanted a tom tom untill i tried them,the ones ive seen under £200 cant use co ordinates and dont have a card slot

I would buy another garmin but what about mio or nav or one of the others that on paper offer a lot at a lower price?

Or do we all buy Tom tom except me?

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I've got a nearly 5 year old TomTom, still going strong, covers all of Europe and rarely lets me down.
I've just started using the Ventura Snooper I bought months ago as scared of getting into narrow lanes etc.. Taken a bit of getting used to but it has some useful points.
I find the "advance planning" on the TomTom useful for calculating driving time each day.

OP
OP
Gazzet

Gazzet

Banned
May 29, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
Pilot
Exp
since 2009
Ive been looking at GPS used in other vans ive met.The old tom toms great wish i had one the new ones are IQ routes no co-ordinate input and poi not worth having.
Cant remember the names of the GPS ive seen online but good specs.My problem is to know if they work?A mio for example.dose it use co-ordinates 45.123456 will it be ready to navigate in less than 60 seconds normaly,what poi dose it have ----
Its very hard to find another GPS to try,shops dont have many demos today and the specs dont list start time co-ordinate entery etc

So i thought id ask:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
We have a Tom Tom start 20 and a 25 both are sub £200 and both have coordinates and both have a micro sd card slot. :thumb:

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
I had a Snooper and didn't like it at all. It had two serious faults and Snooper were no help at all. I ended up having to get my money back from the credit card company. I also thought it was very cheap and plasticy (if there is such a word) for the money. I definitely wouldn't have another.

I have a Tom Tom and have to say it the quality is far superior to the Snooper in every way.

And I did get another. I was in Spain and had forgotten my satnav. I bought a cheap one called an N-Drive for 59 Euros and was AMAZED as to how good it was. It has maps for the whole of Europe including speed cameras. Apparently, you can also get it for an iPhone or an Android. For the money it was unbelievably good.

Now that I've got rid of the Pooper, sorry Snooper, I'm thinking of getting the Blaupunkt New York 800 for the motorhome as it has a lovely large screen, oozes quality, and the mapping looks top class.

OP
OP
Gazzet

Gazzet

Banned
May 29, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
Pilot
Exp
since 2009
The new ones dont have co-ordinates
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/gadgets/tom-tom-gps-and-sat-nav/tomtom-start-20-962477/review

QUOTE:

Now that I've got rid of the Pooper, sorry Snooper, I'm thinking of getting the Blaupunkt New York 800 for the motorhome as it has a lovely large screen, oozes quality, and the mapping looks top class.

Blaupunkt have a bad press better try first only what ive been told and shown

Things are changing FAST i want a new laptop found my T60 better than new ultra pcs battery life processor speed and screen

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
most smart phones have good gps mapping on them and as most use google maps they dont need updating as much.

i have a pioneer in the motorhome and the update dvd's are a fortune
check what the situation is regarding updates with the blaupunkt before committing to buy one

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
My Tom Tom uses co-ordinates if I want it to do so and I can input POI's... but then I am a huge Tom Tom fan... maybe it knows this and is being nice to me...

I think people are so wrong to blame the sat nav for taking them down narrow roads and the like...

After I have done my preference settings... fastest route... shortest route... with tolls... without tolls etc and asked for a route I always check the selected route to see if it is one I would like... there are many different ways to get from A to B...

Then off I go and if Serena tells me to turn left ahead and I don't like the look of the choice she has made I don't do what she says... and you know what... she stays calm, accepts my decision and adjusts her route accordingly...

TOM TOM ROOLS OK...

JJ :Cool:

OP
OP
Gazzet

Gazzet

Banned
May 29, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
Pilot
Exp
since 2009
you dont have the dumbd down tom tom sold now

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I'm a Garmin user. They all have various quirks and limitations, but I think Garmin virtually invented the SatNav and I would buy another.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I've got a Garmin 1490T, I had problems initially where it doggedly stuck to the route it first planned. I found in the preferences 'Do not allow U turns' was ticked, turned this off and no problems at all now, if I miss a turn it immediately recalculates.

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
Very Excited and watching for the postie.

Have just ordered a NEW TomTom from QVC.

Our old one was second hand when we got it and we've had NO problems at all..... we just ignore her when she tries to get us out of the fields we keep going into on these new roads.

This new old has daily map upgrades FOR LIFE, has a 5" screen and is so much thinner.

AND Only £139.95 with free postage and 4 monthly payments.

I have no links with the shopping channels apart from the money I keep paying them, but there are some good buys on TV, and it saves on the shoe leather.

June

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I have the standard Blaupunkt sat nav/ reverse camera screen in my Swift Bolero, bloody useless, if it wern't fot the R/C I would junk it.:Sad:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Do Garmin sat navs have internet connection and therefore live traffic/road works/weather information?

Does a Snooper sat nav have Live Google Search where, if you suddenly fancy a pizza you just just type in "pizza" and the sat nav tells you where the nearest pizza restaurants are... Choose one and it navigates you there?

Will it, with the press of a button, let you call the place and book a table?

If they don't then they will never get my custom...

I don't think my Tom Tom is dumbed down...

JJ

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I had the Blaupunkt as originally supplied with my van, not worth a light. Got a TomTom IQ Routes a while ago and it was okay, though much better than the Blaupunkt. Recently downloaded an upgrade for the TomTom and now it is brilliant. The upgrade allows it to do all the things I wanted, co-ordinates, forward planning etc. My Sonya is great (Sonya? She gets 'sonya' nerves sometimes!)

Bill

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Panasonic Toughbook cf 18 with built in gps loaded with google maps/microsoft maps/ 10"touchscreen. wifi, waterproof , drop proof , doubles up as a laptop on site.
I can view my progress on earth maps
I can use the mouse to point to the correct routes (not down a lane)
Velcro fixed on passenger side dash:thumb:

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
I've always had TomTom until mine was wrecked during a map update download. It was replaced by TomTom but the same thing happened again :cry: We are having ongoing discussions with TomTom :RollEyes:

I replaced it with a Garmin Nulink 1695 which did a good job of guiding us around Paris and Normandy in April.

But last week, for a simple journey from Tenterden to New Ash Green in Kent, the Garmin directed us up back roads, parallel to the main road, from Tenterden to M20. It's a good job that we were in the Volvo and not the MH! All the settings were correct and I ignored it on the outbound journey (when it constantly tried to reroute us) but followed it on the return. Wierd!!

I prefer TomToms but, as I say, I have an ongoing problem with downloading map updates, possibly because we live out in the sticks where Broadband struggles to achieve a speed of 1.9mbs. I'm hoping to resolve the dispute with TomTom by changing to their new Go Live Camper and Caravan device which appears to provide for map updates on SD Card. We shall see, but I have been unsettled by the Garmin.

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
MY New Toy Has Arrived

WOW!

Ordered Monday, and it's here already..... Wed 1.00pm.

The new Tomtom is a VIA 135, Started playing with it and forgot that it was voice activated, so got confused putting in our home location. The speak and go facility means we can reprogramme while driving without having to break the law.

The advanced lane planning seems to be clearer than our old model, so less of the 'does she mean this junction or the next one?'

It comes with Bluetooth so we can answer mobiles, that will suit Dave as his always rings in his trouser pocket when we are on the road, when he is driving.

The window mount is integrated so no tell tale holder left on the windscreen to show we have a sat nav onboard.

Lovely large screen. 'I like em big' Hee! Hee!

Free carry case, so we will always find our way back to the carpark where we've parked.

I am currently downloading updates to European map and safety camera locations.

Happy so far, will test out this weekend on our trip to Yorkshire.

June

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
We have an old Tom Tom which we use most of the time. The new motorhome came with a Pioneer system which is far from user friendly.

I am JUST, after a year, getting used to it and starting to trust it enough to use it on its own without Tom Tom on at the same time!!

I have lots of POI for TT, but very few for the Pioneer, does anyone know where I can get campsites, aires etc etc and how I can install them??

Thanks for any advice

Ginny

Jan 22, 2011
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt 2 berth
Exp
Since April 2011
I got the New York 800, the first one had to be replaced with the newer version so it's about 6 mths old.

Very pleased with it, it does everything. You must get it professionally fitted including the remote gps aerial. I also had a USB fitted in the glovebox for my iPod.

It's the best satnav I have had, it even has a motorhome as the icon. Enter height, width, length and weight and it directs you away from low bridges and other restrictions.

Make sure you don't get the World version. It's not a satnav

Sunty

Free Member
Dec 10, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Swift Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2002
We have a Garmin and it recently let me down when the message ' waypoint memory full' appeared every time I put a destination in. Eventually garmin replaced it at a cost of £36 because it was out of guarentee. My favourite, however, is microsoft autoroute on the lap-top which I mounted on the passenger dash. The satellite finder coast £35 and the operation is like a giant satnav. The uptodate maps can be downloaded from one of the 'free' sites and 2011 is currently tops. Benefits include looking at the whole journey on a larger screen, and whilst it calculates new routes if yours is blocked, etc, you can see the road map on screen at any magnification which allows you to choose your own route easily. Campsites etc can easilty be added and shown on screen together with other poi's.
I don't travel abroad without this 'essential' map.
Arthur.:thumb:

mhmaddog23

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Zumerzet
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
8 years
They all have issues

I think I'll stick with the Garmin 1490T from my wife's car. It does the job and provided you do the basic look at a map before you go, then it's possible to avoid the narrow lanes that most motorhomers want to avoid.

I bought a Garmin DESL 560 LT which is apparently for trucks, MHomes and caravans but it on first use it tried to send me down almost every narrow lane it could find, no matter what settings I employed, so having bought it from Amazon I was able to return it with a full refund. The most popular free Android satnav (Navfree) seemed OK, but I couldn't find how to use the UK version with postcodes (whereas the US and Canadian version does use them) so I'm currently playing with CoPilot.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back