scbunurse

Free Member
Jan 17, 2018
Inverness
Funster No
MH
Test driving tomorrow !!!
Exp
So - eagerly awaiting collecting our Bailey Autograph in March but can't resist going to the MH show in Glasgow in Feb as it's just down the road (well about 3.5 hrs away)

I know we'll be tempted by all sorts of gadgetry whichever way we turn so can all you experienced MH's advise please on what would be really useful and what is a waste of space/weight/money.

We will be getting levellers and a Sine inverter if there are deals to be had but other than that...

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
There are lots of things to not buy...... but you should notice those. :D But external screens are pretty much essential, and an extra battery, especially if you going to use an inverter. (y) . Have a great time shopping.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Don't buy anything until you have used it for a few weeks and also have decided what type of motorhoming you will do - campsites and wildcamping need different equipment.

However, if not supplied with the MH then I suppose Electric cable(EHU) and a water hose. Having said that we carry an EHU and since we wildcamp we have never used it except leaving it at friends but for that we have a short EHU lead which would link to any household extension cable.

So basically my first para applies - most of the stuff can be bought either locally or en-route to first stop. If you buy stuff and it is unused it will waste more money than paying a bit over the odds for what you do need.

Geoff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Don't buy anything until you have used it for a few weeks and also have decided what type of motorhoming you will do - campsites and wildcamping need different equipment.
A sensible answer......

You can buy a lot of 'must have one of those' things then find you use then once or twice and they then become ballast in the back of a locker.
Wait and see WHAT you NEED....not what you THINK you NEED.

Upvote 0
Apr 30, 2017
Blisland Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 752
Exp
Owners since 2017
We have just (in December) taken possession of our Bailey Autograph 75-2 and asked a similar question. What we found was that it was all the small things that we were short of like pots and pans, cutlery, cups and plates rather than anything major. We were given a couple of Butane cylinders by a friend with a caravan only to find that the gas pigtail supplied was for a propane bottle but a quick visit to a camping supplier sorted that out.
We also invested in a decent satnav that you can put in your height and weight (not yours, the vans:D) so that in theory you won't go where your van can't.
We had a Whale hose supplied and an electric hook up cable. I think these are standard from Bailey but could be wrong.
As we intend to use our van all year round, we picked up a couple of small rugs so that dirty feet won't spoil the interior of our new pride and joy. These paid dividends on our second outing as we only had a 6A hook up and we kept on tripping it forcing a short walk across wet ground to the RCD trip.
A roll of non slip material (from a well known store chain) available by the Metre that can be cut up and line draws and cupboards to stop your plates and glasses etc from sliding around. You can get individual plate separators but they work out a bit dear.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Awning
Cadac
Alltheaires
Electric bikes
Satellite dish on a tripod
A dedicated satnav
Ccc subscription , similar cc
Long hose pipe
All things we have bought and don't use.
Things we can't do without
Motorhomefun forum
Solar panel
Watering can
Table for outside
Mobile phone with here maps app
Park4night app
Searchforsites app
Pretty much else you need is available anywhere as you go along(y):)

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a corkscrew
more batteries
solar panels
more batteries
silverscreen cover
2 comfortable lightweight folding chairs

the best advice i can offer is camp out on the driveway at home for a few nights. anything youre missing is likely in the house

impulse buying is a big issue and keeps the classified ads and awning sales very busy.

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
We have just (in December) taken possession of our Bailey Autograph 75-2 and asked a similar question. What we found was that it was all the small things that we were short of like pots and pans, cutlery, cups and plates rather than anything major. We were given a couple of Butane cylinders by a friend with a caravan only to find that the gas pigtail supplied was for a propane bottle but a quick visit to a camping supplier sorted that out.
We also invested in a decent satnav that you can put in your height and weight (not yours, the vans:D) so that in theory you won't go where your van can't.
We had a Whale hose supplied and an electric hook up cable. I think these are standard from Bailey but could be wrong.
As we intend to use our van all year round, we picked up a couple of small rugs so that dirty feet won't spoil the interior of our new pride and joy. These paid dividends on our second outing as we only had a 6A hook up and we kept on tripping it forcing a short walk across wet ground to the RCD trip.
A roll of non slip material (from a well known store chain) available by the Metre that can be cut up and line draws and cupboards to stop your plates and glasses etc from sliding around. You can get individual plate separators but they work out a bit dear.
If you have kept the butane be aware it will not work below about 10degrees @bertiebus

Upvote 0
OP
OP
scbunurse

scbunurse

Free Member
Jan 17, 2018
Inverness
Funster No
MH
Exp
All really helpful - thank you! The EHU cable and hose are supplied and the dealer threw in (not literally!!) a second battery. There is a 100w solar panel which I suspect may be next to useless until we start venturing South (based near Inverness). I will need a decent inverter as plan on using a sewing machine. As we have had a trailer tent for 30+ years we are pretty well equipped with crockery and cutlery etc and use 'hug rugs' (other brands available!) to stop mud getting trodden onto groundsheet. I had wondered about silver screens Jim so good to hear a definitive answer on that one. Lidl are currently selling rubber shelf liners and a mat that looks as if it might cut down and be useful. I use the non slip mattfor all sorts of things so will look out for some more. Do people use cutlery tray or just line drawers with this?

Upvote 0
Apr 30, 2017
Blisland Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 752
Exp
Owners since 2017
Yes we are aware of that thanks and we will be picking up a couple of propane bottles although things were ok at Longleat over Christmas at -2 Deg C outside.(y)

Upvote 0
Apr 30, 2017
Blisland Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 752
Exp
Owners since 2017
We have lined all draws and cupboards with the non slip stuff just in case.
The solar panel seems to work quite well in keeping the engine and leisure batteries topped up which was surprising as I thought they may be a bit of a gimmick.
With a decent hook up I would have thought that you wouldn't need an inverter as the current used is quite small in a sewing machine (I am an electrical engineer by the way) but I guess if you are wild camping you will.

Upvote 0
Apr 30, 2017
Blisland Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 752
Exp
Owners since 2017
Just noticed Mitzimad that you are from Walthamstow. We are originally from Ilford and Canning Town now in Cornwall.
Sorry a bit off topic.:whistle:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
scbunurse

scbunurse

Free Member
Jan 17, 2018
Inverness
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thanks - hoping to wild camp quite a bit as we are in Highlands of Scotland. But that does mean only a few hours of daylight in the winter and that's mainly when I would expect to be sewing. In the long summer days we'll be out hopefully...

Upvote 0

raysalaugh

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2011
Leyland
Funster No
MH
AT Delaware
Exp
since 2010
A big umbrella
crocs
wellies
collapsible bucket
all useful

Upvote 0
OP
OP
scbunurse

scbunurse

Free Member
Jan 17, 2018
Inverness
Funster No
MH
Exp
Milton Crescent - near Valentines Park. I went to Newbury Park Junior School and my brother went to Barking High

Upvote 0
OP
OP
scbunurse

scbunurse

Free Member
Jan 17, 2018
Inverness
Funster No
MH
Exp
Wow - I left in '67. My brother was three years older....the head was Ken Aston - world cup referee and responsible for introducing the red and yellow card system to football. Needless to say we played a lot of football!

Upvote 0

Deleted User
Good quality easy chairs that fold as flat as possible.
Skid mats for that muddy field.
Plastic storage boxes, for the odds and sods.
Decent wheel brace, or long handle wrench, small extension and right sized impact socket.
Melamine plates etc.
At least 2 LED torches, small for around the van and a good long distance.
Triangular road/safety signs.
2, High Viz jackest that fits over outdoor clothing. ( It's not always dry at 9.00pm )
USB socket, mains and cigarette holder.
Awning steadies for high wind. Decent screw pegs. There is a kit that comes with plates, screw pegs of different length, usually about £70, but last a life time. Needs Battery drill, and then of course charger.
Beware of the light weight folding bowls and buckets, a sharp knife very easily penetrates, making it a waste of money. Prefer large bucket/bowl, 2 handles holds all the laundry or pots and pans etc. Stand about 18 -24" high, sounds big, but is lightweight and pack loads of stuff in for the garage.
Folding stool/step.
Little Devil, cooking aid. Bit like a waffle maker or toastie etc, but 3" wide, use on electric, gas, bar b q.Does savoury or sweet, £15.
Microwaveable non staining containers.
Motorhome wi-fi, expensive and dosn't work every where. Only boosts what is available on short range. We tried it and couldn't even access MacDoalds
Rubber door mat

That's about it for starters.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
er - what's the watering can for?
I used to be the biggest critic of filling with a watering can but since taking the plunge on a whim never got a hose pipe out again , in fact don't carry one anymore , no need to get the right fitting or unroll a hose through the muck and roll it up again and having to clean it , when you see a tap with your can , you know it will have the correct fitting and you can shove a canful in as you go, start off with a full tank and it's surprising how long you can go on a canful or two a day.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back