What no doors? (1 Viewer)

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
I've been looking as you do at motorhomes to upgrade to and obviously would love to own a Niesmann&Bischoff. I saw a couple for sale that were just in our price-range BUT on closer inspection of the photo's it seems that they have no driver or passenger doors only the habitation door witch when on U/K roads would be on the outside.This to me seems to be a problem with dogs and if having to leave moho in an emergency on motorways.
N&B owners comment please.
:)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
can a Hymer owner reply??

we do have 2 doors but both on offside (UK offside)

RHD drive with drivers door and habitation door on same side, no passenger door

The motorway example is the biggest fear we have, although initially Bev was convinced that if we ever had an accident and rolled over we were bound to land on the door side and be totally trapped o_O

Never yet been a problem for us, but as yet we haven't broken down on a motorway (y) we only use fully off road lay byes to pull over and if the worst should happen on a motorway by getting as far left as possible we would be fairly safe for the few seconds needed to escape

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I think I have actually seen quite a few A class MH's with only a habitation door, mainly older ones though, does make the cab area much more roomy and comfortable, prefer a coffee table to one side than a door any day (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
they have no driver or passenger doors only the habitation door

I'd be quite concerned about emergency exit in the event of a fire or any emergency for that matter. For that matter, one door, one door gets used a lot, one door lock will fail a bit more than if you had two doors.

But it makes huge sense to the blinkered sales/design department to make the best of available interior.

If you do buy one I'm sure you'll find windows you could roll out of in an emergency.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Used to,have a Frankia a class with only a habitation door ...never had a problem but on reflection as @hilldweller says it could have been a problem in a fire as the hab door was halfway down the vehicle opposite the kitchen so had we had a fire in the kitchen anyone in the lounge area at the front of the vehicle would have been trapped.

Nov 25, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2006
When we started looking for our long term Motorhome, 1 door only was high on the list of wants as our previous Euramobil was broken into in Bilbao through the cab door.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I'd be quite concerned about emergency exit in the event of a fire or any emergency for that matter
That's what size 10s are for.....if the vans on fire in a serious way I certainly wouldn't hesitate in kicking out a PLASTIC window or two.
Better to fall out of a window and risk injury than stay inside and risk death.

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Also our Carthago only has a hab door , but windows are reasonably sized if needed at both ends

Kath

OP
OP
Mr Ed
Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
When we started looking for our long term Motorhome, 1 door only was high on the list of wants as our previous Euramobil was broken into in Bilbao through the cab door.

Yes I can see where you are coming from with that,BUT often when parked up in towns and city's we exit our van from nearside passenger door with the dog.Not safe to open step (making us a foot wider) and get out on the offside.

As an aside when travelling on the "other side" abroad,Ikeep my warning triangle in my gas locker as that is on my side (near-side) as my locker(garage) would be on the out-side.

Thanks for the replies.

You pay your money and make your choices.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The motorway example is the biggest fear we have, although initially Bev was convinced that if we ever had an accident and rolled over we were bound to land on the door side and be totally trapped
if and it is a very big IF you were very unlucky and were involved in such a rollover accident, where the door side is on the floor.....there is a huge door in front of the driver and passenger. Just kick the windscreen out and walk out with the dog to safety

Jan 16, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt low profile
Exp
Since 2016
This was one of the reasons we chose a coachbuilt Hymer over the very similar A/B class versions. I didn't fancy not being able to get out away from the traffic.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
My Rapido had a little red hammer with the paperwork ,l figured it was to break the windscreen if the need arose .We keep it on the wall adjacent the side window
And it is also excellent for breaking my slabs of toffee lol.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We have Niesmann+Bischoff Flair, Yes only the hab door and I don't concider it a problem, if you are worried about a roll onto the door side the large skylight has to open wide enough to get out through (German regs).

The cab floor in an A class van is usually raised to the level of the habitation floor and this would make it very difficult in many vans to get into, it would certainly need an electric step outside.

The other argument for not putting the door in the front is the removal of the insulation and structural integrity of that area together with reduced security as has been mentioned.

It's your choice though.

Martin

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We're spoilt for choice ... we've got 5 doors on our PVC ... brilliant when it's really hot and we can throw them all open to let the air through! :D

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Many RVs don't have doors.
Your quite right my first one didn't have any apart from the hab door
my second one did it was sold as having an escape door:Eeek:
Did i want to drive anything that had/needed an ESCAPE door:doh:

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
Previous RHD Hymer (B640 Starline) had UK N/s drivers door and UK O/s hab door.
Current B660 Bestline, LHD, has the same door layout.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I've had only one cab door in my last couple of mh.
Only ever used the hab door.
Also less drafts to worry about.

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
Met a couple whilst looking around a dealers who would only have vehicle with hab only door as when wilding and settling down for the night would park with door by an obstruction, lampost or wall, so no break in through door possible.
We have only hab door but plenty of windows in emergency.

OP
OP
Mr Ed
Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
Stop moaning and buy one :)

I/we will not be rushed into a rash decision by a Evertonian.(If there is such a word)
We like to take our time.

And I'll have you know I have a degree in moaning.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Many RVs don't have doors.
Climbing through the window must be a bugger (y)

On a serious note we have one door, but three big windows ( two side one rear) are 'Emergency Exit' windows. They can be used like normal windows, openable with fly screens etc, but a red lever either side means the whole window frame and all, opens to make an emergency exit

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back