What makes a good MH forum ? (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
As most are aware there are many MH / RV forums, some busy, some very quiet and on many, the same member names can be found.

I puzzled over this and came to the conclusion that the most popular forums had some common elements..

1. An active and friendly meet program
2. Good data bases and download section
3. Catered for all, irrespective of van size or type.
4. A friendly atmosphere without being over modded

So, what attracts you to any particular forum, and this one in particular, no need to mention forum names, this isn't a post to slag off or advertise others.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
feeling welcome

no being trashed for being a numpty

helpfull advise

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
I agree a nice relaxed, helpful, non-judgemental atmosphere. The fact that Kath and me have only been Funsters for a short while, haven't met anyone face to face yet, but still regard a number of funsters as friends just from quiz nights and evenings in the chat room says it all for me. Haven't felt the urge or need to visit other sites.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
I agree with the above - I hate sites where you are talked down to or presumed to be thick for asking a basic question. Don't mind the light hearted banter, but I have seen comments on some sites that made me cringe & coloured my opinion of the whole forum (Never to be visited again)
Too many rules and restrictions are also a turn off as far as I am concerned :Smile:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
1. An active and friendly meet program
2. Good data bases and download section
3. Catered for all, irrespective of van size or type.
4. A friendly atmosphere without being over modded

Jim,

All of the above but (in my humble opinion) I would prioritise them in the opposite order to your list.

Phil

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
:Smile: Hi when in the past I subscribed to the 'Darkside', though I personly had no problem's I felt they critersised much to much on the like's of spelling and grammer and were a little snobish!, we all cannot chucky up a £50k + campervan in order to lord it over other's then park it next to me.
I then have a nice view of his £50+van and he has a nice view of my £2k+ van so I think I am winning at the moment :ROFLMAO:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Jim,

Leaving aside a forum's qualities, and I agree with your list, I think there may be another issue at play regarding activity levels.

There is an empirically derived law in marketing often referred to as "Double Jeopardy". This explains the relationship between penetration (how many people buy a brand) and loyalty (what share of their purchases in the product category, go to that brand).
Basically, big brands enjoy a double benefit because not only do more people buy them, but they buy that brand more often than other brands. And conversely, small brands suffer double jeopardy. This runs counter to the belief of many managers of small brands, who think that their brand appeals to a small, but loyal following. The evidence contradicts this belief. When I want to be provocative in discussion with a group of marketers, I put the proposition that "there is no such thing as a niche brand, only an unsuccessful one".

I think the same issue may be at play in the case of forums. The bigger forums have more members, and those members tend to allocate a disproportionately large share of their activity to the bigger forums - even though they may be 'consumers' of several forums and indeed, prefer the ambience of a smaller forum.

So the answer to increasing the activity levels in a smaller forum is to get bigger. Achievement of critical mass should bring with it an accelerating level of participation.

Philip

froghopper

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
which site

well, all the replies above say it all. we are friends, we are cheeky to each other,(in good fun) dont we brian,, we can ask the most basic questions and have fun with the answers, every body knows something, and if you find that person, its worth a fortune,, to JIm and his helpers, to YOU all out there,, THANK YOU, lets keep it nice, and friendly, and polite,,,,:ROFLMAO:well as close as we need to,, after all we dont want fuddy duddy total P C, ,, ,,,, we are after all funsters,, i realy do believe a couple on here are quite inteligent :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I agree with all the above especially about the grammatical critics. But also the smart arses that raise their hands in horror at someone daring to ask a question. I like to ghelp people any way I can and offer suggestions,my life won't end of they choose to ignore what I say,with some forums it is treated as a capital offence.:winky:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
the best forum

Brian is spot on "The People" they are the forum, some excellent exchanging of ideas and opinions on here, "Adenough" I would buy a drink at the bar anytime.

Time for a group hug guys.:beer:

john-A

Free Member
Dec 6, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Laika
Exp
n/a
I agree with Taran_Las, hilldweller, froghopper and sebthegecko to sum up Link Removed YOU:thumb:

sue1959

Free Member
Feb 11, 2010
Ireland
Funster No
Exp
non as yet, hired in Canada a couple of times. hope to buy in the next few years.
I lIke the fact that even though I don't have a MH (hopefully in the future I will have) I'm made to feel welcome. Love the jokes and the sense of comaradery ( sorry, that wouldn't get past on the other site I'm sure!) Also I like the way that all info is free and given without reprimand even though I might sound 'thick' sometimes!
Sue

Dawnbreak

Free Member
Aug 30, 2009
Sussex
Funster No
MH
Not as yet
I looked at another forum and just got lost in it......found this one and the way one is made to feel so welcome. As yet hubby and I have not purchased but plan to do so early next year. Questions we ask are kindly answered, not made to feel stupid......no bias that we're here and we are motorhomeless:cry: at the moment. Tried out the chat room for the first time last night, tad weird at first but had a chat to some lovely people. So first and foremost for me....

The warm welcome and friendlyness of everyone.
The knowledge that whatever age of people/life experiences/which motorhome or none......that everybody starts from the beginning....knowing nothing about it.
Hopefully that over time and when we purchase our motorhome and are out and about that we might meet some of the lovely funsters and who knows "friendships might ensue".
The wealth of knowledge....reviews and opinions.

Think that about covers it. ttfn x::bigsmile:

barnybg

Free Member
Jan 23, 2010
Bulgaria/Greece/Turkey/Wa
Funster No
MH
coahbuilt
Exp
ON and off 10 years but trav 25
Good M/H forum ?

As others have said but i would like to add,its nice to have some kind of answer to a post in a couple of hours or a day,even better, in a few minutes (lol) unfortunately some you could wait days or weeks,which is not much point really,its also nice if several or many answer the post than just the normal couple,seems like many members are either shy or dont want to be known or ridiculed maybe ? As other forums tend to do this,and the sayingis,once bitten ,twice shy.
An interesting ,helpfull,friendly site which is well used daily. :thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
the answer to this one has already been given it is the people. so what attracts the right sort of people.
1)Friendlyness
2)Information
3)Tolerance of everything from bad jokes to bad spelling
4)the willingness of people to help, forming a real family not just a community.
5)most people who originally would have said the price now discount this one and would be happy to pay. You cannot buy the help and care that eminates from this forum. Long may it reign supreem.
:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Probably all of the above really but would like to just add,

What attracted me here?
seems so long ago I cant remember but I do remember Going to The first motorhomefun Newark meet, meeting with others they all seemed such a miserable lot that I thought they were just my cup of tea. I therefore realised I was in the right place. :ROFLMAO:

I also like the enphasis on being FUN. not to snobby, just fun, a self moderating forum without the need to be completely pulled to task, especially for spelling etc really is cool.

Lots of family orientated people,

lots of Doggy orientated people.

lots of nice people.:thumb:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

While I agree with nearly all that has been said already,

However, I think the main thing that makes a forum is the software, it seems that ones that use a similar format to this really do stand out and attract people, as the opening page lets you know straight away what is going on and allows you to actually get involved even before you join albeit I know you can't reply,

The software layout on some forums won't even let you view, or only have limited viewing until you join and some the layout is so unfriendly you have to keep searching every section just to find something you may or may not be interested in.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
All of the above...........
BUT, as Wildman has spotted and stated.. tolerance ..
That is really the biggy.. Everyone on Fun accepts everyone else's foibles .. ( welll, most of the time ! ::bigsmile: )

It is tolerance that makes people good friends.. and good friends make a great forum !!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
we are friends, we are cheeky to each other,(in good fun) dont we brian,, we can ask the most basic questions and have fun with the answers

It's a pub with your mates.

Sometimes we drop the odd clanger ( well not me of course ) but normally it's a good laugh, serious when we need help.

Most of us will be thinking some of the time "if he says that again I'll deck him". But how much better than a PM "I've removed that message it might offend transvestite members with one leg and halitosis, please refrain from such posts in future".

FUN !

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
Friendly people, being able to have a laugh, information 24/7 ( if your daft enough to stay up that long ), the banter, never made to feel stupid should you ask a stupid question ( ya keep ya thoughts to ya self :roflmto: ), no matter how big or small your outfit is everyone treats you the same, finally the Funster Meets only been to one and cant wait until we have the time to go to another.

Dale

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I think a friendly fun forum is what makes a good one. You often find on others, people are bitching at each other which isn't the idea!

Tolerance is another, there are people that not quite as good with the written word as others, just as there are those whom do not read the posts properly or mistake or misunderstand what is being said. Others mispell, some have fat fingers - who really cares??? It is about a single hobby that unites all - not about silly foibles.

A good forum is open to everyone, and everyone knows what they mean - if they don't, then they can ask for a simplified explanation without feeling an idiot. Accept people for what they are and respect that - no one has to be perfect, everyone has something to learn! What is common sense to the experienced, may be new ground for the novice - but most importantly, they should be able to ask on the level without fear of ridicule.

Like hildweller so rightly said - in a pub with your mates!:thumb:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Some really good answers, most seem to be in agreement and that there is no secret formula .. it's the members and the site owners ethos that make a great forum

thanks .. :Smile:

Last edited:

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
For the first and perhaps only time I agree with everyone!

To start with, many, many thanks to Jim Lad. You set the style and do the work. Look how brilliantly you (and a few other techies) sorted out that serious problem a few weeks back. He also listens - for example, I enjoy some people's avatars, I moan at others, but I don't want one, and my voice, with others, was listened to when I wrote I didn't want to be branded about the matter... all that happens now is.. nothing, and quite right too.

Second, thanks to all those who really do know their stuff and churn out help to us lot, especially newcomers. I may pull the legs of some very real experts, too many to single out - but I do so, I hope, as a weird sort of friendship, and I'm quite happy to receive it back twice as hard.

Third, it's good to see how equal we are, no fuss or bother about how we write or spell, or our grammar, or how big our equipment may be, it's the message that matters. ( I typed "massage" which proves something.)

So, let's keep this up, as the bishop once remarked to the actress...

Cheers, gang!

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
I would agree with what rainbowchaser says.its a good site for everyone to enjoy regardless of how much you own or how good your education.
Thank you Funsters.
JohnM. :thumb:

Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Jim,

An interesting question.

I am a member of over 30 forums with my various hobbies and interests.

Of course the friendly attitude of members is very important. After all you don't want to start a thread and no one responds to it because you are not seen as being part of the 'in crowd'. Yes I am on a photography forum like this so don't put much up these days!

I visit a few of these forums on a daily basis and others when I need information rather than looking how I might be able to help others. Of course if I am looking and can help I will.

However, I believe the biggest single factor on why I would want to visit a forum is it's size. After all if it is too small nothing much happens and questions or statements just don't get commented on. If it is too large then you are in danger of asking a question that disappears to quickly off the front page.

One forum I am on that is invaluable for information and others on here will most certainly use it is AVForums. There are currently over 347,000 members! Imagine what happens if you ask a question? It disappears almost straight away. The only threads that get anywhere are the ones started by known knowledgable people. But, because it is so big there is likely to be answer somewhere or a thread already started about the same subject.

I am on smaller forums, but take RVOC as an example. There are just over 1,000 members and you can ask a question or make a thread and nothing happens for a while. This is not a complaint but a realisation that if you need an answer then come here or to the other forum we all know.

Like a lot of the old hands around here I have enjoyed watching 'Fun' grow into a useful and well natured forum. Most of the pointless bickering at the other forum has disappeared which is a good thing as we are here to enjoy ourselves not knock others.

Best regards

Chris

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
I don't think I can add to what has already been said really.

What attracted me to this site was, primarily, the ease of its use and its very professional appearance; the rest of you who will always come up with an answer to a problem really quickly; I love the albums; I love the intelligent debate it's possible to have on here.

I'm an active member of one other forum, The Mudcat Cafe, I've been there many years and this site reminds me of it a bit in the commitment of its organisers and easy moderation.

Anyway, I'm glad I found it (and I WILL keep bashing away at the one big thing that crops up on here that I don't like!). :thumb:

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Enthusiasm - the site was started enthusiastically and it's infectious - everyone who stays long enough will catch it.

Everyone likes to be part of a success story.

Friendly, welcoming, helping, non-recriminatory atmosphere leads to everyone wanting to help and post their experience however limited - it may help someone somewhere and won't get rubbished.

No ranking of members.

No members referred to as 'technical experts' who must be deferred to and take umbrage when you stray into their territory.

I'm counted as a 'member' on another site that boasts a large membership - but I can only read some of the posts and am not allowed to post myself - limited observer would be a better title.

:Smile:
Keith

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back