What made you spend all that money on a motorhome (1 Viewer)

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
Fancied one for a while but the final straw was lugging all our stuff into IOW festival last year and then being miserable when it rained. Decided to finally bite the bullet and go looking for one.

Thought our budget would be £5k but spent 10.

We enjoy far flung foreign holidays too much to spend any more than that.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Started out caravanning as a kid then camping in the scouts and onwards, last time I went camping I got the flu and decided that was it! I bought a leaky £500 caravan then another better model but sold it after not using it much. Then I read about the flexibility of MH's with regards to Aires and wild camping and being treated as a vehicle with regards sleeping in many countries. Its been a revelation and an interesting time camping in all the wierd and wonderful non campsite (and campsite) places you can stay in Europe in a MH. Probably the highlight being wild camping next to fjords in Norway. I also actually enjoy parking up and using the public transport systems of the countries I have visited, great way to see daily life! I also enjoy driving the MH but never really the car and caravan.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
We did give Barclaybasher's post a 'like' but it was for the right reasons, as we're sure others did too.

Thanks to all that read my post, buying a motorhome made a big difference to a very bad situation for my wife and, later joining 'Fun' a welcome distraction for me, not through meets but on the forum.....

a picture of Wanda in the Burstner.... the cushion on the dash was for her feet, the most comfortable for her .... no .......not safe.... but so what........... a lovely lady with a lovely smile............
upload_2016-2-13_23-15-2.jpeg

:lips:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Long story .... we didn't go down the usual 'route' to getting a motorhome and although we'd hired one sometime in the late 80's it hadn't been a good experience as I was ill for most of the week so we never hired again (it was very expensive too!).

Fast forward a good few years to the early 1990s ... hubby used to have a Bond 875 microcar before we got married and he fancied having another many years later so we bought a Bond Mk E Estate minicar which we used to go to car rallies/shows in, taking one or two dogs with us who stayed in the car whilst we went in a B&B. This was okay but we found that we missed out on a lot of the 'fun' on a campsite at night - sitting round the bonfire and chatting into the wee small hours - something you can't do when you have to be back at a B&B by 11.00 pm ... and the expense of a B&B too. The solution was to get a tent and all the gear which was great but bl**dy cold (and I really FEEL the cold) so after a year or so I was reluctant to keep doing it.

By late 1995 a few of our microcar owning friends had started to get motorhomes we decided to scrimp together the money to buy something ... it took a while mainly because every time we saw something that was within our price range by the time we rang it had been sold. One lunchtime we bought a copy of Auto Trader and saw a 1970 Commer Autosleeper conversion (pop top) advertised for a set price (part of an estate) about 30 mins away - the chap selling it could only ask the fixed price, no more, no less, because that was what had been stipulated by the executors, but he'd made the condition that the FIRST person to get there and pay a deposit would get it. Fortunately we managed to get permission from work for us to go there and then to see it - as we got there a chap had beaten us to it and was crawling all over it ... our hearts sank as thought we'd missed it ... it turned out though that he was just being 'nosey' ... when we looked back to the gate we'd entered there were roughly 10 people waiting there to come and look at it ... so we quickly told the seller we'd have it! o_O We knew it hadn't been run for a long, long while and would need a good bit of sorting out but it was going to be ours!!!! It was original and virtually mint inside, and had only had very, very minor touch up work on the paint outside with just the one owner from new. We had to get it taken to a local garage on a low loader and left it with them for months to fit the work in when they had quiet times to keep the cost down, eventually we got it back in a usable state by Easter 1996 and we used it many times - it was great and even towed our microcar on a trailer all the way up to Scotland without a murmur!

Although we loved the Commer we found it was a bit tight for us and the dogs (the bed was less than 4ft wide for us and a couple of dogs!) so in August 1997 we bought an ex-ambulance which we converted over winter ... I did the planning, making furniture, installation of it all etc and hubby helped with the electrics and other odds and bods ... but hubby kept the 'home' - running, cooking, cleaning etc whilst I was out in the cold (and getting high on the varnish fumes!) ... hard work but I loved it (we sold the Commer in spring 1998 to a chap who'd always admired it at the car shows). Our very first trip away in the newly converted ambulance was to Germany in April 1998 for an international microcar meet (without the Bond though) and everything worked! Yay!!!!!

As we had 5 dogs (rescue/not wanted ... don't ask!) we had to rely on hubby's dad to come and stay at our place to look after 3 of them and took 2 with us, so our time away was very limited. After a while we ended up with just 4 dogs then at Easter 1999 within the space of 15 days we went down to 2 dogs ... whilst we never wanted to lose our dogs (old age) this gave us something we'd not had before ... the freedom to go away in the camper WITHOUT having to have a dog-sitter. So later in 1990 we therefore decided to get a 'manufactured' motorhome so we could use it all year round and after a lot of trailing around found one locally - an H reg (1990) Elddis Autoquest 320D - the chap had been trying to sell it for ages but lived out in the sticks so no-one would go look at it, consequently we got it for a better price than we ever thought we would which was a massive bonus to us!

As we enjoyed our MH holidays more and more we decided to get a newer one (with power steering!) so on 11 September 2001 we swapped it for a Swift Suntor 590RS which we had quite a few problems with so in May 2003 we got a Rapido 709F which was brilliant at only 5.53m long with a fixed bed! After nearly 4 years we changed in Feb 2007 to a Rimor Sailer 645TC at 7.23m!!!! Sublime to the ridiculous!!! :wasntme: We had it for 3 years before getting a 5.99m Chausson Flash 04, then decided to take the 'risk' of getting a PVC so bought an Autocruise Accent in August 2012, before finally changing to our current Globecar Familyscout L in May last year.

If it hadn't been for the microcar I don't know if we'd have got 'into' motorhomes at all ... now though although we don't do microcar rallies any more there's no way we'll part with our camper ... not a chance!!! :smiley:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We like most others started off with a tent then folding camper, caravan and now on our 3rd MH.
I have always liked the relaxed attitude of camping and just doing what you want on holiday, we have done many other types of holidays and although i enjoyed them still prefer the van.

One of the main reason though was to give our daughter Sophie a bit of life experience rather than taking her to the same resort every year, now at the age of 18 she has truly got the travel bug and while all her friends are heading off to Magaluf this summer Sophie has bought an inter rail ticket and will be travelling round europe. Seeing her doing something like this has made having the MH worth all the money we have spent and more.

Its amazing how relaxed you can feel just 20 miles down the road from home sitting in your mh.

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Just retired and want to travel easily and comfortably. Partner has Parkinson's so we want to see as much as we can while he is still able bodied and hopefully after his mobility becomes reduced too. Hoping to hear from others who are travelling in a MH with this condition but so far haven't . For me the MH represents freedom and excitement and novelty in our retirement rather than hanging up hat and getting older in my armchair. We sold our big family house and bought a small terrace house with a drive two weeks ago and with the spare money got a Hymer which is sitting outside right now with my son using it as a spare bedroom for the first time tonight at our family gathering. Including both double beds in the MH we can still accommodate our big family when they all visit which is a tremendous boon. The MH dwarfs the tiny terrace house on our drive!

Apr 27, 2012
Rushden, Northants
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
11 years
We started in the early 1970's with a pup tent and a toddler sleeping between us and sitting on a garden chair and tool box in Mablethorpe going next to a frame tent then a trailer tent which was too big to pitch for less than a week then to a 10ft caravan which was fine till the eldest couldn't sleep in the canvas bunk as he was too big so had a bit bigger caravan and then a 15 year break for work reasons after which we decided a motorhome was the way to go and we are now on our third - we tried a Eldiss and a fixed bed Chausson before our current Wildax pvc which we bought when planning retirement on the theory we could use it if needed instead of a car and if white van man could get there and park so could we! We love it - it's got great on board facilities and so easy to get about with.

Anthony496

Free Member
Jul 18, 2015
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
My wife and I met at the "duke of Edinburgh" award so we were no strangers to camping my wife went on to be a DofE assessor. Once the cuts were made in the youth service my wife was made redundant and after a while missed the camping and outdoor breaks.

We decided to hire a motorhome with our two kids 2 years ago and it was by far the best holiday we had. We saved for 18 months (and had another baby) and bought the new motorhome a 6 birth bessacarr 496 which we love to be bits. I'm typing this message now sitting watching Tv with a beer on a cliff top in Devon. Kids are asleep after a great day out (cost of staying here with full facilities £23 a night) we have been offered an extra night for £10 so might stay on!! It's that kind of freedom which is why we bough it in the first place. We already have 5 more long weekends booked with loads of last min hols to still book :)

We also looked at holiday homes but didn't want to commit to one particular place, the motorhome alows us to tour the uk in luxuary.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2015
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
Since 2014
Hi,

Like many others we started late in life, I had built a small car (my avatar) and wanted to use it, Julie and I got together and we decided to tour in the car and camp and we started off with a very small tent slowly we progressed through the tents mainly Vangos until we bought an air beam which unfortunately was too big to carry around at 48kgs so we ended up with a trailer tent which we could tow easily with the car. Unfortunately I got cancer (2012) so life suddenly took a different slant and we talked about what we wanted to do with our lives and the idea of a Motorhome came up and we thought yes why not but in 4 years times when we could retire with nice pensions to see us through. And then we found a Motorhome which ticked all the boxes as to our requirements. A Eura Mobil Integra 810, yes very big but what we wanted so last year we acquired said Motorhome with the intention of retiring in 3 years and setting off to tour Europe, slowly we started to put the things we thought we would need onto Maurice(the Motorhome) solar panels, gas low system, inverter etc. Etc. Etc. And then at Xmas last year I was diagnosed with the blasted disease again so now everything has changed yet again. Everything is accelerated as we intend to retire and bigger off at the end of the year coming back for checkups (flying home) and we intend to enjoy it as much as possible, I am to cantankerous to pop my clogs and the NHS has worked wonders so our thoughts are relax out of the rat race and maybe I won't get it again. Any regrets to having the beast on our drive with various things happening to it???? No in fact we now have a trailer for the little car and we will enjoy and relax as we travel around Europe. We have even bought a tipi so that we can if necessary camp away from Maurice if the need arises.

Regards

Bob

Lynne Steele

Free Member
Feb 13, 2015
Lleyn peninsula
Funster No
MH
Majestic accordo 125
Exp
4 years
Bob, I wish you and Julie an amazing time travelling, and I am glad you are too cantankerous to pop your clogs. I am sure the sun and the fun of travelling will improve your health. Good luck with everything.

Lynne x

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
What so endeared you that you’d part with many thousands of £.
Do you mean apart from being told to do so?

Had caravans 30 years, friend bought MH and told me tales of cheap French holidays, shut door, turn key and go. Getting too old to hook up, tow, set up etc.
Now retired so fits in nicely to absorb the spare time.
I am at the stage where I have health,time and some cash, spend it, enjoy it, then when unable, sell MH. The money hasn't been squandered away, just put aside!

Well said @Larby we also had caravans for 30 years and I couldn't have put our reasons for spending a ridiculous sum any better!! (y)

Plus of course "there are no pockets in shrouds!!" :)

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
Wife and I are ageing campers, dipped into pension pot and here we go. Freedom of camping but with the required levels of comfort and warmth. Planning long term winters somewhere warmer than west of Scotland.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
As a 12 year old my parents used to drag me off on camping holidays in Scotland. When we were first married, we had our first small boat, 23 feet of it. On and off we’ve been boating ever since, never quite making it to sail, but the whole of the Thames became our back garden with ever increasing sizes of boats, and with the occasional trip across the channel to France or the Channel Islands thrown in for added excitement

As the years rolled by (retire in 5 years, whoopee!), our enjoyment has been eroded by increasing ‘elf and safety bureaucracy, ever rising costs and the gentrification of our beloved Thames to the point where an overnight mooring becomes a very rare find indeed. With our time now being split between the UK and our home in mid Portugal, seldom using the boat nowadays, and an eye to impending retirement, it is now up for sale.

The dream of a motorhome has been with us for years, with two grown up daughters no longer on our hands, and prompted by the premature death of a close friend whilst having other friends and family who love the lifestyle, we decided to take the plunge. There are indeed no pockets in shrouds. Chausson featured highly in ratings, and the availability of a fixed bed arrangement in a 6M van that the missus felt comfortable driving sealed the deal. Basically, if we didn't make the leap now, we may never have done. And if we didn't like it, then it was our kid's inheritance we were spending, depreciation on a M/H isn't as bad as it is with a boat, and at least we'll be using it.

It’s early days, but so far we both love the lifestyle and the warmth and sincerity of all those we have met on our limited travels. Time will tell, but so far, we both wish we had done this years ago. Buyer’s remorse? Not even on the horizon.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
As a 12 year old my parents used to drag me off on camping holidays in Scotland. When we were first married, we had our first small boat, 23 feet of it. On and off we’ve been boating ever since, never quite making it to sail, but the whole of the Thames became our back garden with ever increasing sizes of boats, and with the occasional trip across the channel to France or the Channel Islands thrown in for added excitement

As the years rolled by (retire in 5 years, whoopee!), our enjoyment has been eroded by increasing ‘elf and safety bureaucracy, ever rising costs and the gentrification of our beloved Thames to the point where an overnight mooring becomes a very rare find indeed. With our time now being split between the UK and our home in mid Portugal, seldom using the boat nowadays, and an eye to impending retirement, it is now up for sale.

The dream of a motorhome has been with us for years, with two grown up daughters no longer on our hands, and prompted by the premature death of a close friend whilst having other friends and family who love the lifestyle, we decided to take the plunge. There are indeed no pockets in shrouds. Chausson featured highly in ratings, and the availability of a fixed bed arrangement in a 6M van that the missus felt comfortable driving sealed the deal. Basically, if we didn't make the leap now, we may never have done. And if we didn't like it, then it was our kid's inheritance we were spending, depreciation on a M/H isn't as bad as it is with a boat, and at least we'll be using it.

It’s early days, but so far we both love the lifestyle and the warmth and sincerity of all those we have met on our limited travels. Time will tell, but so far, we both wish we had done this years ago. Buyer’s remorse? Not even on the horizon.
With you on that one pyro. ,sold my sailing boat two years ago ,it cost me £3000. A year just to park it

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
With you on that one pyro. ,sold my sailing boat two years ago ,it cost me £3000. A year just to park it
Precisely. £3,000 a year to park 'em, £600 a year Thames Licence (joke), average £300 a year for the "Boat Safety" scam, £450 a year for insurance, £600 a year in winterising, dewinterising and service, I ended up spending the better part of £5k a year for just standing still

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Many motorhome owners are no strangers to camping. Some have done the full apprenticeship, maybe starting with a simple ridge or dome tent, buying a frame tent, moving on to a trailer tent, then maybe towed a caravan and are now in motorhome. Others have taken a simpler path to motorhome ownership. But what made you do it?

For most of us buying the motorhome was probably one of the biggest purchase of our lives. A considerable investment in an item that is likely to lose money from the moment we buy it. A decision then not to be taken lightly; So why did you do it?

What so endeared you that you’d part with many thousands of £. Did you agonise over the decision, were you scared, did you wake up the next day full of buyers remorse or were you like a kid in a sweetshop.

I am re-vamping our buyers guide and your answers here about why you bought a motorhome will be much appreciated. Thanks.
No different for tuggers really. Add the price of a decent (ie. relaxing to drive) towcar to the price of a van & you're within spitting distance of MH prices. So two answers: (1) I had a caravan until I didn't need a 'decent' car. (2) Why not.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
had vans and caravans, campers , trucks and all sorts.. spend most weekends away somewhere at the races, so have to live somewhere. Travel too far to consider a caravan, need speed and simplicity.

Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
Borrowed one from a friend years ago to go and experience the eclipse with our sons in Cornwall. Loved it and always wanted one of our own. Sons grown up and gone now ( well, one gone and one nearly there:D) and it's a new found freedom to be able to just go exploring on a whim. ::bigsmile:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
because i could :whistle:

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
I wanted one, I had the money, you can't take it with you. Enjoy what you have while you can you never know what's round the corner.

Spongy
if you cant take it with you , im not bloody going.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
My parents took us on camping holidays around Scotland. That was all they could afford and wanted to ensure we have a family holiday together. As kids we loved it, even with the wind and rain in summer.:)
My Mum would get cheesed of especially if the tent got flooded out. We would always end up for 1 night in a B&B but would sneak the caming stove in so we could have tea:)

My husband grew up with no camping holidays at all and I could not persaude him to try them. Then one day i just happened to say that if we buy a cheap tent package (I think it was £299 tent and all the equipment) if we dont like it we haven't lost much. Nearly fell over when he said yes. Well that started us camping but the tent grew in size and the equipment soon needed and roof box and then a trailer.

I then noticed that you could buy these folding camper things, that would solve all our problems :) well for 2 years it did and suddenly hubby is saying lets get a caravan. Great holidays followed for 4 years but the urge to tour was always there. I planted the seed of a motorhome (tbh planted all the seeds ). Suddendly it was his idea to just go for it and get one. Now two years on we have gone bigger and taking delivery of next MH. It took me 11 years from the first cheap tent to the most expensive holiday accessory we have ever bought. But it is so worth it we love every holiday. We do like to fit in the occasional cruise though, but that to me is still touring but with a little more luxury

Hopefully we have created memories for our girls and lots more to come.:)

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
Tented for 6 years
Got fed up of packing everything away in October and not getting out until early April
Didn't want to tow so with all these celebs dropping and a few older friends dieing and leaving thousands to family who only went out and blew the money we thought sod it let's do it
A lot of people we've spoken to have gone
Tent,caravan then motorhome and have said they only went to a motorhome because they were too old to caravan
We decided to motorhome while we are young ish so we can really appreciate what this hobby has to offer
Paul 36
Kate 34
Love this way of life and it's the best decision we've ever made

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Never camped really since scouts.
Thought about buying retirement apartment in Spain or somewhere but as prices went beyond budget I also realised I am a traveller.
Thought about an RV in US or Oz but discovered they were more expensive than the apartment.
Decided on MH but colleagues suggested caravan a cheaper better option so investigated that but the empty drive even when funds allowed suggested I wasn't in fact a potential tugger. So back to the MH idea.

In my researches I decided on a new budget van, would stretch my budget but not being practical decided new was best...
Then I got seduced by MHF :oops:.
Learned the valued of used - hmmm.

Went to PBoro show 2015 and within 30 mins of walking in I'd signed for a brand & model I'd never heard of :doh:.

...and so I'm here at Britstop 453 beginning a great adventure in a world that I barely new existed a couple of years ago :).

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
My self and the wife went camping in France and Belgium the boys had flown the nest.
We had a grat time till the could nights started.
We were in Belgium and it started to snow the power went off in the middle of the night the wind started to blow the tent started to literally tare apart as objects hit the tent everythingthing from branches off trees to weely bin we escaped to the car sat up all night lookin at the motor homes thinking I have to have one built my first one fifteen years ago 17seter patent transport
Had a few different vans from Pvc to coach built
We still tent from time to time
Bill
Edit don't know if this thread is ment for the older Van owner we have probably got the oldest van on the forum
Bill

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back