What lessons have your learned from last year? (1 Viewer)

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
We are going to really really try this year to do shorter distances each day...

Already started - 50 miles can be quite far enough some days.
Never assume there's nothing behind you.
Believe it or not that's over £2 grands worth of damage.

DSC02132.JPG

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
explore and enjoy wherever you are as much as you can before you move on, rather than say we'll do that next time just in case there may not be a next time.............

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs

View attachment 208812

DIY............ £40 or less, looks an easy job... (y)

Ask Brian @hilldweller .... :nod:

And his was a lot worse than that...

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
You will need to change your sign to think motor home think motor home. :)

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that

View attachment 208812
Could this be an opportunity to fit a towbar, with a cut out where the damage is for the electric socket? Difficult to see but it might work. Also a tow bar would cost less than the repair and would give you protection from future rear end shunts

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Carry a 10 litre plastic watering can for topping up the water.

French service stations often have free drinking water taps in the trucker's section of the car park, so why pay at an aire?

If your toilet cartridge doesn't have wheels on it, use a lightweight folding shopping trolley with a detachable bag.

A Sanef Liber-T tag make life a lot easier on French toll roads - just Bip 'n' Go.

Swivelly front seats are a definite bonus, fixed front seats can literally be a waste of space.

Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
@Stealaway give David Hulse a call. He is a Motorhome/Caravan bodywork repair shop and he did a magnificent job replacing the long side skirt on my nearly new Swift Escape for a very reasonable £100. I supplied the skirt that I had already bought from the Swift dealer in Newark. He charged me £78 for the skirt + shipping. David quoted me £20 for the skirt, but I had already paid for the dealer supplied part.

He is behind the Don Amott site (you have to drive through Don Amotts to get to him}. Don't be put off by his premises, he knows what he is doing and will advise you well.

dahulse@btinternet.com

Good luck

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
We lost so many close friends last year that we are going to do it NOW, whatever IT may be. No more putting it off to next year.

We lost a number of friends and family last year, all our generation. :( It's a wake up call to get on with life while we can.

There are 7 days in every week, none of them are "someday"(y)

Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
We didn't do a lot of motorhoming last year. :( Lousy weather in UK and uncertainty about French reaction to Brexit (in hindsight, needn't have worried about that). This year, hopefully, will be different.

Just go for it and have fun, France is so great for Motorhoming and we had nothing but friendliness all the way.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Hang on, aren't they reversing sensors on the rear bumper?

In my defence the sensors had been playing up and I made a instant decision to back up a bit so I had room to drive into parking spot I'd just missed.
I only reversed two feet - unfortunately the Renault Clio was less that to feet away. :Eeek:
As I had reversed into another vehicle the repairs have had to go through the insurance.

Anyone who know me on this forum, would know that I would never be paying anything like that amount to repair a plastic bumper, but my insurance excess is only £200 - so heyho!:cheers:

Notice the price of the small plastic bumper end caps - each! On top of the price of the plastic bumper.
All prices - Plus VAT! Scandalas.

quote.jpg
Clio was bit less than two

Dec 29, 2012
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7066df
Exp
Since 2014
In my defence the sensors had been playing up and I made a instant decision to back up a bit so I had room to drive into parking spot I'd just missed.
I only reversed two feet - unfortunately the Renault Clio was less that to feet away. :Eeek:
As I had reversed into another vehicle the repairs have had to go through the insurance.

Anyone who know me on this forum, would know that I would never be paying anything like that amount to repair a plastic bumper, but my insurance excess is only £200 - so heyho!:cheers:

Notice the price of the small plastic bumper end caps - each! On top of the price of the plastic bumper.

View attachment 208849 Clio was bit less than two

I know it's easily done, reversed into a tree at Camping Roquetas just before Christmas :(

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User

View attachment 208849 Clio was bit less than two
Reverse sensor kit for £650 :Eeek: don't think the other costs look too bad.
This year's lesson...NEVER visit your repairer!

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
explore and enjoy wherever you are as much as you can before you move on, rather than say we'll do that next time just in case there may not be a next time.............
We're doing the opposite this year. Last year we stopped and explored so many places we didn't get to where we wanted to get to. This happened another time too. So this year we are going quickly through Germany and Austria (I mean only 4 or 5 stops but they will be of a two/three day duration) to get to Slovenia and Croatia. We'll take it much more slowly on the way back.

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
...................never to tie a washing line to a lamp post..............:swear2::whistle2::swear2::whistle2::swear2:

The Tincas

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Worrying is interest paid on a debt not yet due. Hell .... it is NEVER as bad as you imagined it would be ... and IF it is .... then there is still nothing changed by worry. Easy to say I know ... but it is true. Have a HUGE smile it scares the hell out of others (y)(y)(y)(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back