What length of hose to buy? (1 Viewer)

SKI Mobile

Free Member
Aug 8, 2017
North Yorkshire
Funster No
Kitting out our new MH (Rimor Europeo 69+) and would appreciate advice on what length hose to buy for filling up onboard water. Looking at the food grade collapsible type. Also does anyone know if you can buy a pack of different fixings or do you have to get them separately? Which do you use most for GB sites? Have already purchased watering can, funnel and container for drinking water having looked at previous threads! So thankful I can tap into your expertise!!

Aug 11, 2016
ipswich
Funster No
MH
Not sure
Exp
1 year
I use an expandable garden hose. It is about 8-10 feet long but expands to 50ft. so easy to store. You can buy a kit with all sorts of fittings or just the odd one or two separately.

Upvote 0

lawry

Free Member
Jun 25, 2017
MERTHYR TYDFIL
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840se
Exp
8 years
I use
I use an expandable garden hose. It is about 8-10 feet long but expands to 50ft. so easy to store. You can buy a kit with all sorts of fittings or just the odd one or two separately.
Same here but being a really lazy bugger got 200 ft one !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
I have 2 of the above(£8 fleabay) and a box of assorted tap connectors which covers most eventualities

Upvote 0

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
Kitting out our new MH (Rimor Europeo 69+) and would appreciate advice on what length hose to buy for filling up onboard water. Looking at the food grade collapsible type. Also does anyone know if you can buy a pack of different fixings or do you have to get them separately? Which do you use most for GB sites? Have already purchased watering can, funnel and container for drinking water having looked at previous threads! So thankful I can tap into your expertise!!

Hi - have a look at this food quality lay flat hose 20mt.

It's a great hose - winds up immediately after use with minimal drainage and no transfer of plastic smells to the water

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Is your watering can "food grade"? So why worry about the hose? Water will be in contact with the hose for much less time than the can. Flush it through first.
Whatever length you get, you can be sure it'll often be 6" too short. Those expanding ones are light and compact. Don't always last very long, but they're not expensive. Get two shortish ones and a 'joiner' and you will avoid the 6" rule.

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
As above, we use a watering can.

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
We're off to France soon staying on aires what are the normal connections for them?

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We're off to France soon staying on aires what are the normal connections for them?
Surprisingly the thread on the taps are exactly the same as over here, i.e. 1/2", 3/4" or 1" BSP. You can get a tap adaptor with all 3 sizes in B&Q for £1.

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
Surprisingly the thread on the taps are exactly the same as over here, i.e. 1/2", 3/4" or 1" BSP. You can get a tap adaptor with all 3 sizes in B&Q for £1.

That's great, got those, France here we come.

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Found a 'female' connection this year. Not sure what it was intended for. Snook over after dusk to see if my hose joiner would fit and it did.
Problem was that the water was on, and at full pressure. I got soaked. Took a few movements and many litres to extract the damn thing and stop the water. At least we got a free fill-up later!

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
To cover almost every eventuality you need the normal 3/4" and 1/2" adaptor, which usually come as a set together. Then there are the times you need a 1" adaptor which I've only ever seen for sale on line. But you can always use a watering can or bucket and funnel providing there is a tap of vaguely conventional design.
A small number of irritating aires need a male to male connector. If you are organised you will use these with a short bit of hose with a tap in it. If you don't have one of these you will just have to accept getting wet because when the adaptor is pushed in the water flows out with a million bars of pressure behind it. I just accept this as normal.
Then there was the aire in France which needed a connector not even French there had. It was some sort of male to male connector but the dimensions were weird and sadly without this magic key you couldn't get any water out at all. I think this was a special water conservation adaptor. :)

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Found a 'female' connection this year. Not sure what it was intended for. Snook over after dusk to see if my hose joiner would fit and it did.
Problem was that the water was on, and at full pressure. I got soaked. Took a few movements and many litres to extract the damn thing and stop the water. At least we got a free fill-up later!
Most of the new Bornes are like that come across loads of them.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
This is my hose collection, 1 x 3m, 1 x 7m that can can be linked a 20m flat one taken off the casstte for emergencies, only used once in 9 years. ½, ¾ & 1" connectors plus other bits.

Hoses collection.jpg

Upvote 0

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
On the aire at Pampelonne at present. Late season rate of 10 euros per night. Water charged at 2 euros for 10 minutes on the fresh water tap.

There is a German couple who take their large 5 or 10 liter water bottles to the beach to fill them up at the beach shower facility where they also shower in the mornings.

I thought the Scots and Yorkies were tight but this takes the biscuit!

Ps I have 2 lengths of at least 10 meter garden hose and a watering can!

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
IMG_0064.JPG
Like to see you fit a hose on these. Very common in Spain. I use two watering cans so you only walk half the distance and they fit all known taps.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Problem was that the water was on, and at full pressure. I got soaked. Took a few movements and many litres to extract the damn thing and stop the water.

That happened to me as well at an aire somewhere or other (y)

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I have a 25m one on a reel with built in connections so it doesn't need completely unwinding every time.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back