What legal protection is there after buying a motorhome with a serious faults? (1 Viewer)

Nov 9, 2015
Addingham, West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099f
Exp
Veteran
Minefield I know.
i bought a 14 year old Rapido 7099F which has only done 12000 miles and has full service history, hab checks etc etc.on the video about the van on YiuTube the owner of the firm literally says its been service, hab checked and mot’d and that “ the only thing I can see wrong is a bit of dirty carpet”

So, I paid and drove 200 miles home. The gears did feel a bit “slippery” in 5th and 6th so I noted it in my head.I then soent 2 weeks dleaning the moho inside and out as it had obviously been sat somewhere for periods of time. I mentioned this early on .

This was and still is my dream van and ive had newer Rapidos!

It came with a 6 month warranty and to date:
the gears have got more slippery ( i dont think its the clutch as it revs when not using it and now has got worse with hardly any engine braking. Its going to a garage soon.
Thenfridge has never worked on gas alone but works fine otherwise. My local guys trued to fix it but says a new fridge is necessary.
the hot water boiler is working at half speed so needs a pci bus ( God knows!

The dealers saying all was ok when sold which is irrelevant as the huge potential cost of repairs should be covered my the warranty.

Got there sorry!
is there a link to some concrete advice on my rights to potentially return the van ( i don't want to) or what the dealer cant get out of repairing with caveats and small print

Any views are also much appreviated.

thanks👍🏻

May 2, 2021
Selby, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail F70
Exp
I have to assume you have contacted the dealer with the list of errors ,and have kept copies of the correspondence and dates the vehicle was sold to you with no defects reported by the dealer ,it is his responsibility to correct all the issues you have reported. Set a time limit sat 21 days to resolve the issues or to give you a full refund , go legal if the dealership fails to respond or refuses ,also get a quote for the works to be done

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Minefield I know.
i bought a 14 year old Rapido 7099F which has only done 12000 miles and has full service history, hab checks etc etc.on the video about the van on YiuTube the owner of the firm literally says its been service, hab checked and mot’d and that “ the only thing I can see wrong is a bit of dirty carpet”

So, I paid and drove 200 miles home. The gears did feel a bit “slippery” in 5th and 6th so I noted it in my head.I then soent 2 weeks dleaning the moho inside and out as it had obviously been sat somewhere for periods of time. I mentioned this early on .

This was and still is my dream van and ive had newer Rapidos!

It came with a 6 month warranty and to date:
the gears have got more slippery ( i dont think its the clutch as it revs when not using it and now has got worse with hardly any engine braking. Its going to a garage soon.
Thenfridge has never worked on gas alone but works fine otherwise. My local guys trued to fix it but says a new fridge is necessary.
the hot water boiler is working at half speed so needs a pci bus ( God knows!

The dealers saying all was ok when sold which is irrelevant as the huge potential cost of repairs should be covered my the warranty.

Got there sorry!
is there a link to some concrete advice on my rights to potentially return the van ( i don't want to) or what the dealer cant get out of repairing with caveats and small print

Any views are also much appreviated.

thanks👍🏻

If your worried about the Gear's/Clutch take it to a Fiat Professional Garage and get a 2nd opinion

Upvote 0

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Fiat has abdicated its service responsibilities. Stoneacre are looking st it a eeek tomorrow 👍🏻
thanks.
its a 14yr old base vehicle.
how has fiat “abdicated its service responsibilities“
it is well out with the expected timescale where a fault would be covered by a Fiat manufacturer warranty. (Irrespective of the mileage)
ar e fiat saying they will not look at it? or they won’t look at it even if paid?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Richard Mason
Nov 9, 2015
Addingham, West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099f
Exp
Veteran
its a 14yr old base vehicle.
how has fiat “abdicated its service responsibilities“
it is well out with the expected timescale where a fault would be covered by a Fiat manufacturer warranty. (Irrespective of the mileage)
ar e fiat saying they will not look at it? or they won’t look at it even if paid?
Fair point but 1. The vans only done 13000 legit miles so I woukdnt expect any faults with the gear box however old the van is. FSH as well.
2. Fiat has as far as I'm aware shut its own Fiat service centres in England. While Fiat were average I still feel a main service centre would know its equipment and previous issues.
Ive read somewhere that slippage is common with this age of gearbox but for some reason hasnt been addressed with a recall.
i accept your point but we as customers should have more fight in us. If Fiat is happy to produce gear boxes that break after 12000 miles then it will lose business. Simple as that.
Ive now formally notified the dealer with 21 days notice👍🏻

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Was there a pre purchase mechanical inspection by the rac/aa etc?. I think at 14 years old even at 12 k miles there is likely to be issues with hoses/ seals etc and I'm not really sure if that low a mileage is an indication of things being in good or poor condition due to not being used. Hope you get it sorted ok the slippery gears sounds like clutch problems to me.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Hi Richard, question please just to clarify, when you say slippery gears do you mean that the van slips out/jumps out of gears, especially under load, or do you mean its looses traction, engine revs higher, especially on hills, or low gears. Sorry if that appears to be thick question, its just that over the years I have had both scenarios on different vehicles but not a Fiat Van. The first problem was a well worn gearbox, the second was a clutch issue.
Good luck with giving your dealer 21 days notice, I hope they take heed and do something for you, as its sounds like a fix could be expensive.

LES

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back