What it is like to be a programmer.... (1 Viewer)

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Been there many times :LOL:
The thing is, though, that it shouldn't matter what the users do. If the system is working to specification it will tell them to either RTFM or call support.
It does & they do. That's when they baffle me with how they got into the mess they are in.

Some of our users don't just dig holes, they have a JCB on standby to help ....

Mind you, the forensics to work out just what they have done can be quite fun sometimes.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The old chestnut has just cropped up again. Spaces Vs Tabs.

What do you guys use?

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
What does your style guide say you should use? :LOL:
I use the PSR-2 style guide except for tabs/spaces. I am old school and use tabs but set them to 4 spaces wide.

Can't stand spaces, hence I giggled a bit when I saw that previous video.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
VIM ? Just a gurly, wishy washy version of Vi.
Now you have done it... :mad: The first thing I install on a server I am configuring is vim as vi is just not up to the job.
Vim as you well know is from Vi Improved... :p:p:p:p

But at least the vi vs vim debate people all agree that both are better than emacs :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Now you have done it... :mad: The first thing I install on a server I am configuring is vim as vi is just not up to the job.
Vim as you well know is from Vi Improved... :p:p:p:p

But at least the vi vs vim debate people all agree that both are better than emacs :rofl::rofl::rofl:
Used Vi 21 years and loved it :)

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Used Vi 21 years and loved it :)
I would miss things like coloured syntax highlighting, split screen and using SSH to edit files directly.

I do find that I type in :w in my normal editer (sublime text) and wonder why it didn't save now and again.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I would miss things like coloured syntax highlighting, split screen and using SSH to edit files directly.

I do find that I type in :w in my normal editer (sublime text) and wonder why it didn't save now and again.
The only time I found VIM useful was when coding in Perl.

And VIM was also good for cleaning the bath.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I was a Chartered Accountant who got into IT and bought my first IBM compatible PC in 1984 and thus used and loved DOS. Eventually used to have to use SQL to write stored procedures so that users could produce reports based on the firm's client and staff time recording and fees and debtors database. Best thing, from a personal satisfaction point of view was to design a database in Access to log competitors and their scores in target shooting competitions which is still used by our county target shooting association today. Nowadays do a bit of very basic Excel spreadsheeting for the clubs I look after. IT was always undervalued and users always wanted training and then didn't put it to use and wanted another course. The bosses eventually wised up when the new graduates came along and said you learn it and use it or you fail your degree so anyone who didn't then use the systems were earmarked ready to be pushed out of the door. The dinosaurs quickly got with the program!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun