What is your favourite meal in which restaurant.......... (1 Viewer)

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
When returning to the Alentejo we always head for Chicos and enjoy Coteletas Barrego,the best lamb chops I have ever tasted,I cook a lot and try to replicate but never quite as good.Just wonderful.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Not strictly "a meal" but the poached pear dessert at the Rassoi restaurant near Swansea is a favourite.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The Ranch Steakhouse and Grill, in Louth would be where I would want to be now if nowhere else. The steaks come out on a chunk of volcanic rock that is scorching hot and you cook your own steaks at the table exactly how you like them. Smells amazing in there and the steaks are top quality.

Everest Indian on Grove St in Retford is my other favourite. I love their hot meat and Tarka Dal

too many good eateries in France to mention.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Best F&C especially CHIPS The Cod too if you go for the large,
is in the Restaurant at Greggs Farm Supplies Store just off the A390 at Sticker,(tween St Austell and Tresillion) turn off at the Car Sales and follow the sign.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I don't have a favourite but I certainly have a worst - Simpsons on the Strand in London. Without doubt the fattiest, gristliest meat I have had put in front of me. Horrible.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Garstang Town Chippy.....(Takeaway cuisine and Michelin rated restaurant eat in). (y)(y)

Pensioners special. Cod, chips, and a choice of mushy peas, onion rings, curry sauce, or gravy. (y) Comes complete with B&B H'dourves, (white or brown bread), and tea or coffee. Six quid all in. Even Jamie Olivers uncle eats there! (y)(y)

ER, it's Michelin rated because the blokes from the tyre depot next door eat there.......

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Booked up until 2028, TOSH.
Some quick thinking free advertising me thinks.

Deleted User
Don't eat at fancy places very often, as I'm fussy in that I only eat poultry (two leg rule)
Favourite ever meal is my lovely husbands Chinese chicken, he used to come over and cook it for me, no idea what the recipe was and unfortunately now he can't recall it since a head trauma, he has tried many times with no success :(
So restaurant al la Nige 2008, Chinese chicken.

Lin :)

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
Princess Rose Chinese in Balloch, just at the entrance to the Lomond Woods campsite. I nick out to a wee pub nearby, have a couple of pints then into the Chinese for a carry out. excellent food, then back to the van to eat.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Some years ago my work took me to the town of Chung Li in Taiwan. An industrial town, no tourism, no western restaurants so I ate mostly in the works canteen. Have you ever tried eating whole grilled fish........... with chopsticks? Local eating places offered a whole range of canine treats!
Anyway, one evening, looking out of my high rise hotel room I spied a Burger King sign on a roof several blocks away. Not easy to negotiate across several streets of motor scooter swarms but I made it eventually and never was I more relieved to get my chops around a flame grilled double cheese burger :)
Maybe not my favourite meal but definitely the most memorable one.
That memory floods back every time I pass a BK.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Strange isn't it, we had our first Burger King meal for probably ten years yesterday and were really looking forward to it. When we found a place to stop the car and eat it we saw they had got the order wrong and what we did get tasted pants! What a disappointment.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Stephano's in Silsden, anyone who has been will know why. Best Italian I have been to.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Booked up until 2028, TOSH.
Some quick thinking free advertising me thinks.

Not at all and not all that unusual for the very best places.

El Bulli, the previous holder of the "Best in the World" crown was booked up years in advance before Señor Adria decided he wanted to do something else and closed it.

Even 2 star places in this country get booked up many months in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
We used to go to a nice hotel in Cheltenham in the 60's, long since gone, where the head waiter would cook scampi provencal beside your table. We were good customers and got the recipe but it wasn't a traditional "provencal" recipe as it was finished with brandy and cream and on long grain white boiled rice was to dream of but we still enjoy it to this day and nobody that I have ever cooked it for has not enjoyed it.

I can also still taste a Paella and a Lobster Thermidor ordered especially by my father for my Mum's birthday whilst staying at the Hotel Regina du Golf at Biarritz.

I also remember a meal at the the Carved Angel in Dartmouth when it was run by Joyce Molyneux back in 1987 where it remains ingrained on my mind because we all came out, me noticeably poorer, all wanting a take-away as we were still hungry! The only morsel I can remember was an amuse bouche between courses of shark. The food might have been good but it was at the height of nouvelle cuisine when diners were expected to have the appetites of sparrows! The Elbow room in Totnes was also another great restaurant, also frequented by Prince Charles when he was at Dartmouth but I can only remember it for having my first creme brûlée there which was delicious.

Jan 12, 2016
Amble
Funster No
MH
adria izola
Exp
since 2014
Chez Victor at Cancale the oysters are fantastic ,you can watch them being harvested over the sea wall

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Ascoughs in Market Harborough Link Removed

It's superb. We've been going there for several years and have never had a single complaint about anything. I still can't understand how they manage to produce the food they do for the prices they charge.

Thanks for these tips. We live about 8 miles north of Market Harborough, so we will certainly give Ainscoughs a try. Not sure why we haven't to date. Our favourites are Hans chinese restaurant in Market Harborough and Johns House in Mountsorrel nr. Loughborough.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Thanks for these tips. We live about 8 miles north of Market Harborough, so we will certainly give Ainscoughs a try. Not sure why we haven't to date. Our favourites are Hans chinese restaurant in Market Harborough and Johns House in Mountsorrel nr. Loughborough.

Ascoughs is fantastic but you have to book, don't just turn up even on a weekday lunchtime.

Rock Salt in Harborough is pretty good as well. That one's a seafood restaurant.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Double Whopper with extra cheese and bacon but no pickle.

Burger King.

or

Giant Burger

Burger Ranch, mostly in Algarve, Portugal

JJ :cool:

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Got loads of favourites but I have to say two of my favourites are:-

1) Pear and Gorgonzola Pizza at La Tagliatella in Bahia Sur, San Fernando near Cadiz or any other of their chain of restaurants in Spain. First discovered them in Roses a few years ago.

2) Rump Steak meal in any Wetherspoons in UK. Never had a bad one in any of their restaurants. Always cooked to perfection and my plate is always clean!

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Pie and peas from the 1970s original Harry's Cafe De Wheels in Woolloomooloo docks after a night out in Kings Cross. What memories :D

Dick

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2005 this time
This thread STILL running? Time to reserect a couple from the Distant past then.

For Dim Sum, the main street in Hong Kong IS from memory, is either Queen street OR, Victoria Street.
The Street behind, is either Queen st or Victoria st., OK with me so far? It's the street behind that is the location of this Chinese restaurant.
We entered, the noise was horrific! louder than an unsilenced Lawn Mower!, We found a spot, Waiter with a grubby tea towel over his shoulder came gave us a couple of chop sticks, then this lady came with a trolley, we picked what we wanted, which she gave us, then dumped 2 bowls full of noodles, which we presumed correctly was to use to bulk out our meal.
Calling the Waiter over I asked if we could have a fork. Why? Well because we were westerners ??? No worries said he taking a pair of scissors from his back pocket and proceeded to chop up the noodles in small pieces enough for us to handle with Chopsticks.

We just broke up with laughter. It was the best Chinese meal we had up to that time, and when it came to pay, he just houssed us out the door. Go Go no pay You Go !

And another memorable meal, but for all the wrong reasons.

"The Dragon Bar"( @DuxDeluxe could very well have been there!) It was a "nightclub/restaurant" well know to seamen, so a five star rough stuff place, upstairs in an old Colonial style building. Which was built when there was no such thing as Air Conditioning, so the ceiling height was in the region of 15 feet about 4metres or so high.

There was a sort of Disco thingee going on, my buddies and I had a meal, we were sitting relaxing, drinking the local fire water, this young Chinese girl came to our table, sat on my lap!!! and asked if I wanted to dance. Righto! oft we go!
Next thing these 2 heavies grabbed her, all sorts of foreign stuff being shouted, Hang on! WTF! Who are you two ?

I held my own till the Stairwell, my feet left the top stair and my head connected on the doormat at the bottom. I found out later the Chinese girl was the Bosses Girlfriend, whenever she was p***ed off with him she picked on some unsuspecting mug (ie ME!) he always got jealous and sent in the heavies!

Of course I stood in the street "YAH! YA MUGS! I been thrown out of better places than this!" kind of thing, then laughed all the way back to the ship in a taxi!
Can't remember the Meal! but I can remember how rough that bloody mat was !!

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Double cheggburger at 'Greasy Veras', Sheffield. 1990s

Burger, sausage, bacon, burger, cheese & egg - twice in a bun. Lukewarm and dripping.

Opened regular as clockwork, 2am every thurs, fri & sat.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have a new favourite.

The Shapla Indian restaurant in Sheffield.

Boy it's good(y)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
This thread STILL running? Time to reserect a couple from the Distant past then.

For Dim Sum, the main street in Hong Kong IS from memory, is either Queen street OR, Victoria Street.
The Street behind, is either Queen st or Victoria st., OK with me so far? It's the street behind that is the location of this Chinese restaurant.
We entered, the noise was horrific! louder than an unsilenced Lawn Mower!, We found a spot, Waiter with a grubby tea towel over his shoulder came gave us a couple of chop sticks, then this lady came with a trolley, we picked what we wanted, which she gave us, then dumped 2 bowls full of noodles, which we presumed correctly was to use to bulk out our meal.
Calling the Waiter over I asked if we could have a fork. Why? Well because we were westerners ??? No worries said he taking a pair of scissors from his back pocket and proceeded to chop up the noodles in small pieces enough for us to handle with Chopsticks.

We just broke up with laughter. It was the best Chinese meal we had up to that time, and when it came to pay, he just houssed us out the door. Go Go no pay You Go !

And another memorable meal, but for all the wrong reasons.

"The Dragon Bar"( @DuxDeluxe could very well have been there!) It was a "nightclub/restaurant" well know to seamen, so a five star rough stuff place, upstairs in an old Colonial style building. Which was built when there was no such thing as Air Conditioning, so the ceiling height was in the region of 15 feet about 4metres or so high.

There was a sort of Disco thingee going on, my buddies and I had a meal, we were sitting relaxing, drinking the local fire water, this young Chinese girl came to our table, sat on my lap!!! and asked if I wanted to dance. Righto! oft we go!
Next thing these 2 heavies grabbed her, all sorts of foreign stuff being shouted, Hang on! WTF! Who are you two ?

I held my own till the Stairwell, my feet left the top stair and my head connected on the doormat at the bottom. I found out later the Chinese girl was the Bosses Girlfriend, whenever she was p***ed off with him she picked on some unsuspecting mug (ie ME!) he always got jealous and sent in the heavies!

Of course I stood in the street "YAH! YA MUGS! I been thrown out of better places than this!" kind of thing, then laughed all the way back to the ship in a taxi!
Can't remember the Meal! but I can remember how rough that bloody mat was !!
Been in so many bars in HK that you may well be right. Best meal was with our manager there and his family in a really ropey five table place with plastic chairs and Formica tables. Cantonese at its best. Worst was an extremely expensive meal in Shanghai. Greasy and disgusting - worse than something out of Burger Dung or MacPukes

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Been in so many bars in HK that you may well be right. Best meal was with our manager there and his family in a really ropey five table place with plastic chairs and Formica tables. Cantonese at its best. Worst was an extremely expensive meal in Shanghai. Greasy and disgusting - worse than something out of Burger Dung or MacPukes

Dragon Bar Suva

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back