What is your favourite meal in which restaurant.......... (2 Viewers)

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Your favourite place where you always go when you get to that location and what you always have or love to have.
Only allowed to choose 2 tho, as we'll all be drooling and wishing our lives away til next hols lol !!!

My fave, out of soooo many, would be......

Restaurant - Les moules Zola, Dijon: Meal - Moules with thick cream garlic/wine sauce and frites
Restaurant - La Fontaine Restaurant, St Remy de Provence; Meal - Salade de Terroir, pic attached ;)

I've just had toast and cheese so feeling wistful :D

Attachments

• 20160628_121648.jpg
    20160628_121648.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 128

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Restaurant at the gates of camping Cabopino near Marbella (there is an entrance to it direct from inside the site)

Sea Bass baked in a crust of salt - served off the bone by a skilled waiter at your table!!

Followed by Crepe Suzette - prepared, flambed and served at your table by another (or even the same) skilled waiter - to the applause of the other diners!! :)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Shark fingers at a beach bar Sanibel Island c 1992

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
1. Halls Fish and chip shop Bedale,sit in the restaurant and have PROPER fish and chips with tea and bread.
2. = Ivys. West View Terrace Preston
2(a)= Vera Marsdens. Seaforth road Bootle
See 2 and 2(a) .
These ladies ran drivers lodgings back in the '60s Any of their dinners,whatever,whenever,sadly you will not be able to share these...Feasts. The Ladies went long ago,but taste buds have memories to.(y)
Tea Bag

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I don't have to go away to go to my favourite eating place.

Punchbowl and Ladle at Penelewey, Slow cooked Pork Belly with Potato and Black Pudding Croquettes. :Grin:

The Fountain Inn Cliff St Mevagissey for some of the best Fish and chips in Cornwall, the joker has his own boat The fish is fresh fresh fresh. (Not the Best, as in GREAT, for F&C in Cornwall that one I'll keep to meself):drinks:

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
I watched Rick Stein on the telly the other day when he was in Copenhagen. He couldn't book a table at Noma because it was fully booked until February 2028 but he did sample the new "Nordic" cuisine at some other highly rated places. What a load of piffle! Prepared using tweezers, tiny tiny helpings and ingredients like toenail scratchings from an arctic weasel, foreskin of a woodlouse and seeds from a plant that only grows in blue plant pots regularly wee'd on by Santa's reindeer. 20 taster courses wouldn't fill wee Jimmy Krankie up, but cost £300 I think he said. I will stick to what I know thanks, not something dreamt up by desperate town councils to fleece gullible tourists. Sorry to wander off topic a bit but favourite restaurants will always get my trade. Just too many to list!

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years

Punchbowl and Ladle at Penelewey, Slow cooked Pork Belly with Potato and Black Pudding Croquettes. :Grin:

The Fountain Inn Cliff St Mevagissey for some of the best Fish and chips in Cornwall, the joker has his own boat The fish is fresh fresh fresh. (Not the Best, as in GREAT, for F&C in Cornwall that one I'll keep to meself):drinks:
Ah ! It may be your local but we don't know about it. Am earmarking the Mevagissey ready for March. Thank :D

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Two places we always use , Manin in St Wendel, Saarland, always have a team dinner there, steaks are great, and its just a cool place, and The Mendoza Steakhouse in Stendal , Saxony Anhalt, where again , the steaks are awesome, neither is a big dollar place, but always worth a visit.

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Colorado roast rack of lamb at Taste restaurant, Plymouth, near Sacremento. You would pass the door of this restaurant in this one horse town and not even know it was there - your sad loss! I've been there four times and promised my companions each time that it would be the best meal they would ever have. None have disagreed!

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I watched Rick Stein on the telly the other day when he was in Copenhagen. He couldn't book a table at Noma because it was fully booked until February 2028 but he did sample the new "Nordic" cuisine at some other highly rated places. What a load of piffle! Prepared using tweezers, tiny tiny helpings and ingredients like toenail scratchings from an arctic weasel, foreskin of a woodlouse and seeds from a plant that only grows in blue plant pots regularly wee'd on by Santa's reindeer. 20 taster courses wouldn't fill wee Jimmy Krankie up, but cost £300 I think he said. I will stick to what I know thanks, not something dreamt up by desperate town councils to fleece gullible tourists. Sorry to wander off topic a bit but favourite restaurants will always get my trade. Just too many to list!

Just wondering what town councils fleecing tourists has to with restaurants. I don't see a connection especially when many town councils couldn't run a p up in a brewery let alone a restaurant. Did I miss something?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Picking out just two is difficult.

I'll go for two that we visit quite regularly and ignore the "special occasion" places.

Ascoughs in Market Harborough Link Removed

It's superb. We've been going there for several years and have never had a single complaint about anything. I still can't understand how they manage to produce the food they do for the prices they charge.

Tong Thai in Kettering. Link Removed

A local one a couple of miles from us. It doesn't look like much, just a small family run restaurant and takeaway but the food and the service is impeccable.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
The "cuisine" was invented from scratch in the last ten years (it doesn't exist in Danish history) using the most peculiar local ingredients specifically to attract tourists and businesses to the area. It gives them something brand new to do in an attempt to create a bit of a fad. Maybe the town council weren't responsible but it was made to look on the programme that it was all a bit of a con. Or maybe that was how I interpreted it.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Just wondering what town councils fleecing tourists has to with restaurants. I don't see a connection especially when many town councils couldn't run a p up in a brewery let alone a restaurant. Did I miss something?

I thought the suggestion that Noma, or any other high end restaurant for that matter, is council run was quite amusing but didn't bother to bite.

I wonder if any of the tasting menu guys in the UK like Simon Rogan or Daniel Clifford have thought of getting council grants for their next projects so they can "fleece tourists"

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The "cuisine" was invented from scratch in the last ten years (it doesn't exist in Danish history) using the most peculiar local ingredients specifically to attract tourists and businesses to the area. It gives them something brand new to do in an attempt to create a bit of a fad. Maybe the town council weren't responsible but it was made to look on the programme that it was all a bit of a con. Or maybe that was how I interpreted it.

I think you'll find that René Redzepi has been cooking like that, in more than one country, for a lot longer than 10 years.

He's worked in some of the best kitchens in the world, places that make what Noma do look simple.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Tewkesbury town council couldn't run a sandwich shop let alone a high end restaurant! No, I meant the Nordic Cuisine itself was invented by someone (maybe not the Council) for the specific purpose of attracting people to Copenhagen ( to spend money) rather than it being a nom nom tasty type of food.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
I think you'll find that René Redzepi has been cooking like that, in more than one country, for a lot longer than 10 years.

He's worked in some of the best kitchens in the world, places that make what Noma do look simple.
I can't comment on Noma because Rick couldn't book a table! Maybe the restaurateurs in Copenhagen simply tried to copy Rene?

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.

Very nice both from a chap who married a Falmouth girl, we also think The Gurnards Head just down the road from Zennor is worth a visit, the menu and wine list is excellent.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Mosimann’s private dining club in Belgravia, everything on offer is fantastic and the staff are totally professional....(y)

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Tewkesbury town council couldn't run a sandwich shop let alone a high end restaurant! No, I meant the Nordic Cuisine itself was invented by someone (maybe not the Council) for the specific purpose of attracting people to Copenhagen ( to spend money) rather than it being a nom nom tasty type of food.

I see what you mean but I think its more likely that the restaurants invent cuisine and dishes to attract people to them as customers.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
This is a difficult one for me as eating out has become something of a passion over the years.
For authentic home cooking without fuss, without doubt the best value is the Auberge Can Juan in the foothills of the Pyrenees. The best day to visit is Sunday, but either be prepared to stay overnight on the carpark or park up in La Jonquera and get a taxi. The meal starts off with a bottle of Pastis on the table strong wine between each of the many courses and a bottle of brandy to finish up. All meat is from the local hunt, such as wild boar, pheasant,rabbit etc, and vegetables are locally sauced. For the members of Benidorm Dinners it is a similar venue to the Cattle Shed, of which some of you are familiar.
http://lalbere.net/quelsServices/aubergecanJoan.htm

My second choice is more difficult as there are so many. If in the above area there is another favourite just over the border at La Vajol, actually there are two restaurants owned by the same family, the Manrella, which is a quite modern with swimming pool for guests, so make aday of it. The other is Cassa Comaulis, affectionately know as The Old One as it was the original family business. Of the two I prefer the old one, but its only a ten minute walk between the two and you can overnight at Manrella if you ask and dine. I could easily spend a week parked up on restaurants in this area and often do.
http://www.restaurantmanrella.com/

http://www.restaurantcasacomaulis.com/

The second photo was a rare photo taken of a lost Funster in the Manrella on New Years eve on route to Morocco.
Tour of France & Spain with Pat 022.JPG
Morocco 051.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back