What is Wild Camping? (1 Viewer)

Jun 22, 2012
Ebbw Vale Gwent
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9048df A class
Exp
seven
What is the point of have a motorhome is to be able to explore the places off the beaten track to get away from the hum brume package holidays and nightmares that we have all had at time or other, poor accommodation, last luggage, delayed flights and so on.

If you just want to stay on the same campsite for months on end what is the point of having a shower, toilet, water tanks and so on, you just as well rent a bungalow or caravan.

For me I like to use Aries campsites and free parking on the beach or country side as long as it’s safe to do so, and so far it has been fantastic never had any problem with locals, police or anyone but we do pay by the rules, we leave the place as we found it and never dump any waste on the side of the roadside, there is always places to empty waste water and get rid of rubbish in the proper way if you have a good look around and plenty of places to pickup fresh water so why limit your self to campsites only.

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
Parked up - with or without hook up ......

PEAK DISTRICT.jpg
Parked up.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
In the UK there is only one definition of Wild Camping - the one enshrined in the Scottish Outdoor Access Code (set up as a requirement of the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003). The Scottish Outdoor Access Code gives the following advice regarding wild camping: “Wild camping is defined as lightweight, done in small numbers and only for two to three nights in one place. You can camp in this way wherever access rights apply but help to avoid causing problems for local people and land managers by not camping in enclosed fields of crops or farm animals and keeping well away from buildings roads or historic structures. Take care to avoid disturbing deer stalking or grouse shooting. If you wish to camp close to a house or building, seek the owner’s permission. Leave no trace by: Taking away all your litter; Removing all traces of your tent pitch and of any open fire (follow the guidance for lighting fires); Not causing any pollution.”

Thus, camping in a motorhome is not wild camping. Anything other than as defined by the SOAC is Off Site Camping.
And Scottish laws apply to the rest of the UK exactly how Graham?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We enjoy wildcamping. We could be on a seafront carpark in winter, in a layby, in a forest. but we tend to call this wild camping, when it's really wild 'parking' So for us at least Wild Camping has a become parking anywhere other than a site or a rally field, calling it wild camping for convenience really. But Wilderness camping is awesome and if you can get out to the back of beyond in a motorhome you'll not regret it.

I resent the idea that wild parkers are Freeloaders. The essence of a motorhome for me is the self sufficiency and being able to stop where you like. (as long as it's legal) A freeloader for me is someone who outstays a welcome, steals water, dumps waste without permission etc.

Some VW owners can still call it camping, but us motorhomers? we're not camping in the slightest.

We enjoy proper camping, this was in Brecon a couple of years ago, cooking supper with the aid of local stone windbreaks. Pic taken by my son.

Brecon-1.jpg

Carrying all the kit in is more of a challenge these days. But setting up camp after a hard days slog evens out the ground so you get a better night's sleep.

Brecon2-1.jpg

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Wilding for us has many meanings
Basically it is anywhere we stop that has no facilities at all
Canna say we have ever stopped somewhere that others motorhomes are parked up though.
So for instance
On the way to Spain we never use aires or sites.. we use garages where lorries are stopped, so that is kinda wilding

When we travel ooop north of Watford Gap ( :) ) and venture across the border we have often parked up with a stunning view across a loch or some other amazing vista .. and that is wilding

I think trying to exactly pigeon hole anything to do with motorhoming can be fraught with pitfalls as we all view life in different ways :)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
And Scottish laws apply to the rest of the UK exactly how Graham?
They don't, and I never said they did. The definition, though, is the only official one in the UK and fits in with what is really wild camping as it has always been, well before the advent of the motorhome.

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Wow what a great looking van (y)
Who's it made by?
HI Forestboy, our MH, is a 1983 year model Mercedes/Hobby, its the 3liter 5cyl motor with a 5 speed box with a coach differentiel giveing better crusing speed, the living area is doubled floored with the Aldi floor and wall heating ,built for the scandinavien climate, and all the mod cons of a modern MH,hope this answears your question and thanks,regards Alf.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
HI Forestboy, our MH, is a 1983 year model Mercedes/Hobby, its the 3liter 5cyl motor with a 5 speed box with a coach differentiel giveing better crusing speed, the living area is doubled floored with the Aldi floor and wall heating ,built for the scandinavien climate, and all the mod cons of a modern MH,hope this answears your question and thanks,regards Alf.

Thanks its beautiful, my sort of van especially as its built for the Scandinavian climate as I love skiing and being in the mountains.
Enjoy (y)

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
It means parking up in the wild !! Being uncomfortable in this day and age is totally unnecessary and we don't do it...
Beautiful places, alone, in our lovely van.... Bliss..
Take only pictures and memories and leave only footprints..

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
The Wild Camper's Poem
We travel the roads my dogs and I
New places to see as the miles fly by
Our home for the night - wherever we park
Share a glass with friends when it gets dark

Freedom to find hidden corners and rest
For that I feel I am truly blessed
I don’t care what others may think - I love to roam
Wandering mountains and valleys in my motorhome

Parked up among bluebells and ferns of green
A beautiful sunset rarely seen
And gazing at the darkening sky
For the Aurora or star shooting by

The wind's song and the grey mist clinging
The rabbit's russle and the morning birds singing
Time to awake and venture some more
Along new found mysterious roads, mountains, and shore.:whistle::sleep:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Nice poem Buttons, did you write it?

The Wild Camper's Poem
We travel the roads my dogs and I
New places to see as the miles fly by
Our home for the night - wherever we park
Share a glass with friends when it gets dark

Freedom to find hidden corners and rest
For that I feel I am truly blessed
I don’t care what others may think - I love to roam
Wandering mountains and valleys in my motorhome

Parked up among bluebells and ferns of green
A beautiful sunset rarely seen
And gazing at the darkening sky
For the Aurora or star shooting by

The wind's song and the grey mist clinging
The rabbit's russle and the morning birds singing
Time to awake and venture some more
Along new found mysterious roads, mountains, and shore.:whistle::sleep:

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Wild, or not wild, who cares, I was happy (y)View attachment 89521
Exactly!
OP asked for our individual definitons. They're just the way we label things for ease of communication.

Who cares really WHAT we call it, just as long as we're having FUN??? :D

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
IMG_3725.JPG IMG_3729.JPG IMG_3730.JPG "Wild" camping?. Hmm?,

Remote, beach, Large Fire, Lots of "Company" copious amounts of Liquor and "Substances". WILD!!! doesn't describe it!!!. "Peace and Lorveeee Man!".

Seriously Though:-

Home, Outlook, and the neighbours!.

Pete

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back