What is this black box for in my electrical cupboard (1 Viewer)

Jul 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
Jap Import Nissan4x4
Exp
Semi-newbie to motorhomes
Hi all,

Power from my leisure battery goes into this black box and comes out of it to my fuse block. Ive run a switch to this black box and when I switch the switch off, ALL the electrics to the leisure stuff stop working.
But I have no idea what the box does (shown in the centre of the pic)
It came as standard.

Please help. Its a 1993 van, so the tech may be somewhat old fashioned if that helps

Attachments

• 2019-07-09 19.10.30.jpg
    2019-07-09 19.10.30.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 449
OP
OP
TobyQuest
Jul 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
Jap Import Nissan4x4
Exp
Pull the big red wires off the relay (tape them up) and see what changes, then you know what is does, simple đź‘Ť
Yes I can try that and see what happens.

I dont think it has a low voltage disconnect because my liesure battery once went down to 11.6 before I saw the low voltage and charged it up. Low voltage disconnect should have kicked in before then, right?
Also my gas boiler cannot be turned on when the engine is running. Is that likely to be due to a setting within the boiler, or in fact this black box?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TobyQuest
Jul 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
Jap Import Nissan4x4
Exp
Pull the big red wires off the relay (tape them up) and see what changes, then you know what is does, simple đź‘Ť
I pulled off the 4 wired on the relay one at a time. With any wire removed the electrics to the appliances dont work. Looking at the way its wired, this makes sense.

On a separate note why is there a SW1 and SW2 switch wires on the sort of internal bus bar? Why dont they just make an inline switch directly from the main battery wire going into the box?
Its still a mystery. So do other MH not have anything similar to this in them?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Also my gas boiler cannot be turned on when the engine is running. Is that likely to be due to a setting within the boiler, or in fact this black box?
If it's the black box stopping the boiler from running, then all the other hab circuits should be off as well.
On a separate note why is there a SW1 and SW2 switch wires on the sort of internal bus bar? Why dont they just make an inline switch directly from the main battery wire going into the box?
Many useful switches like magnetic switches or remote control switches have a very small amps capability. A circuit like this is used to allow them to control serious amps.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TobyQuest
Jul 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
Jap Import Nissan4x4
Exp
I don't think having an inline switch or one built in to the box makes any difference.

Yes the other habitual switches are also off, everything is off when the black box is off. Just don't see the point of the gadgetry inside the box if it's just a switch

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back