what is the real risk of a MH being stolen (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
My first motorhome had a tracker that was 'hidden' somewhere.
My current motorhome has a tracker (which I had professionally installed) and it's hidden too - in the first place I looked!! So, it ain't a lot of use if some travellers nick it as they will find it in seconds, chuck it out the window and drive off laughing!!

Great, I really have to hope it is a little more complex than that, please :)

I have had them on previous high value cars, but never got involved in the detail of how and where they were fitted

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
I'm probably being a bit naive but with most modern vehicles would not the vehicles' built in immobiliser stop the vehicle being driven away? Or are they easily by-passed?

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
I have a temprory tracker in our van which cost £25 I can set a geo fence. It will tele up to 3 numbers giving its position and when you respond you can listen into whats going on. By phoning the tracker at any time you listen in to the van

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I'm probably being a bit naive but with most modern vehicles would not the vehicles' built in immobiliser stop the vehicle being driven away? Or are they easily by-passed?

You are of the same belief as me, the problem now is that thieves break in to homes to steal the vehicle keys, then have no issues with the immobiliser. I really don't see what difference an alarm would make as the fob for the alarm will inevitably be kept with the keys

Hey ho

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I have a temprory tracker in our van which cost £25 I can set a geo fence. It will tele up to 3 numbers giving its position and when you respond you can listen into whats going on. By phoning the tracker at any time you listen in to the van

Please tell me more, I have got to offer the manufacturers details to Aviva for them to confirm whether acceptable to them or not, but I like the price of yours, so doubt it will be accepted :)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Aviva seem to being a bit selective about which tracker I can use, they appear to want a genuine Tracker, so need to buy plus subscribe, being the 'market leader', they are not the cheapest

I wonder who might be getting some commission in this deal !!

It stinks.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Buy this and hide it in the MH somewhere.
They can have the keys but it wont start even if they jump the battery.
Better not to have it nicked in the first place than having to track it down afterwards ,probably ruined.

Broken Link Removed

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
When I changed the MH in July and shopped around found that most insurers insisted on Cat 2 (I think) if value over £40k as ours was just over that I just insurered for £39.5k and that was ok as had standard Cat 1 fitted
Think I have the Cats the right way round

Sep 21, 2013
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since Apr 2013
If they're going to steal it then it depends if they're fully professional or just chancers. If they've a breakdown type wagon they can pull it onto the back of using skids under the wheels then a tracker might help stop them. So just get a tracker fitted for the window.
If they're chances then isolation switches or steering wheel locks will help. I have a long high tensile stee motorcycle "chain" that goes through the steering wheel and both front door handles stopping the doors being opened too, thus making getting tele. etc. out more difficult.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Buy this and hide it in the MH somewhere.
They can have the keys but it wont start even if they jump the battery.
Better not to have it nicked in the first place than having to track it down afterwards ,probably ruined.

Broken Link Removed

I had one of these on an old Wrangler some years ago, mine was sat in middle of dash, only issue could be that the same key will fit them all, so can be easily bypassed if thieves come armed with a key

Then where to fit so it is hard to find but still easy enough to get at for an over weight approaching 60 year old :D

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
When I changed the MH in July and shopped around found that most insurers insisted on Cat 2 (I think) if value over £40k as ours was just over that I just insurered for £39.5k and that was ok as had standard Cat 1 fitted
Think I have the Cats the right way round

Cat 2 (prevents engine being started) is the immobiliser which is pretty standard these days and comes with most vans. the Cat 1 is normally an upgrade which adds alarms etc..which some insurer insist on over certain value

Just find a local approved commercial firm to instal it. all on Thatchams internet site.some will have commercial vehicle experience and some motorhomes..ask around and compare prices

https://www.thatcham.org/what-we-do/thatcham-assured/thatcham-recognised-installer

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
You are of the same belief as me, the problem now is that thieves break in to homes to steal the vehicle keys, then have no issues with the immobiliser. I really don't see what difference an alarm would make as the fob for the alarm will inevitably be kept with the keys

Hey ho

Oh I agree. The way I, hopefully, overcome the problem is that we have 2 sets of keys, one with the immobiliser and one without, so depending on whether we are at home or away we set the immobiliser and stick the keys in either the van or the house safe. We can still get in and out of the van using the other set of keys.
Also we have a Metec door and zone alarm plus a cable alarm between the cab doors. So I think the van is as secure as we can make it but at the end of the day if some set of scrotes want to break in or take the van they will do. As I've said before all these things are only a deterrant

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
When we bought ours four years ago £90k+ Safeguard insisted on Cat 1 alarm immobiliser but not a tracker . When the alarm was fitted they had problems as we're not aware that it was a Canbus system.
Virtually all modern vehicles use Canbus, and have done for some time ;)

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
I admit that I know nothing about tracker units but I am surprised at the high cost of installation and the yearly charge. I have a mobile phone that cost approx. £60 and this has a tracker on if it gets lost or stolen and doesn't require a yearly fee for this. Why are trackers so expensive.
1. Because they can
2. Because they use GPS and GPRS on several networks / frequencies
3. Someone has to pay for the monitoring centre
4. Because they can ;)

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
As suggested, because they can I reckon, when I first rang Tracker to ask if it already had anything fitted I didn't know about the offered a discount down to £150 from about £300+ from memory, £150 seems to be about the going rate

But it is wired into the electrics it is not just a box with GPS, (or that is what I believe anyway) automatically activated if moved without the key in ignition, there is a lesser spec where you have to notice it is missing then ring in to set off the tracker bit, not good if you have been to the Maldives for three weeks

You can pay less per year by prepaying a three year bundle, they used to do a lifetime option, but don't think they do now, all seem to be three or one year deals, but not enough reduction to tempt me

I suspect I will get one fitted this year, then not renew, but can still say it is fitted
It's in our (CaravanGuard) T&Cs that the Tracker must be working at all times - otherwise cover is restricted to not covering theft of vehicle.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
A battery isolator isn't sufficient , you need 2. :)
I also used to install multiple switches in the electrics to the diesel pump. usually 3 . all requiring turning on before any chance of starting.:)
Then if you are going for the d-i-y dial out tracker you need to install it in a place that requires at least 3-4 hours dismantling & over a pit. You also really need to fit 2 of these as they won't be looking for a second one.:)
A perimeter alarm; i.e. one that speaks to people when they are withing 2m of the vehicle to move away or the alarm will sound. This should be linked to the siren below.
The absolute best piece of kit is a siren that is in excess of 120/130 decibels & ruptures ear drums. Linked to the perimeter alarm to deter anyone getting in & additionally the primary operation should be inside which will ensure that anyone in there when it is activated will be rendered deaf, nauseous, etc; & Completely disorientated & unable to function.:xThumb:
You really need to be wearing ear defenders when arming/disarming to be on safe side ! :xeek:
All of the above should be run off of a completely independent battery system with access obtainable only from a pit.:)
I always carry 2 identical sets of keys & have done since locking myself out of a vehicle many years ago. When using the vehicle I never leave them anywhere except in my pockets. Any sets of keys for vehicles I'm not using are locked in a safe indoors.:xgrin:

There's a lot of German stuff that's ideal but not legal in the UK.
I always work on the " just delay them that few moments longer " that will enable me to catch them in the act & despatch them to hell. :xThumb:

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Caravan Club insurance topped up with a ,Gap insurance' gives us as much peace of mind as you can get nowadays.. There are some very clever people out there on the "Nick".. !!!! (( C.C ins £348 per annum... Gap ins £350 for 5 years.))
Got 270 days European travel in that too.. Also got 4 "Lockem outs" on the plastic side window handles.. And a dog !!!!
I must admit, I AM getting a bit "Twitchy" about going to Greece for 4 months !! Traveling through Serbia, Montenegro and Albania.. 50% youth unemployment in Greece.. Still,, there is danger everywhere, so full speed ahead and trust in yourselves !!!!!
Mitch.. :xgrin::xgrin::xThumb::xThumb:

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
A battery isolator isn't sufficient , you need 2. :)
I also used to install multiple switches in the electrics to the diesel pump. usually 3 . all requiring turning on before any chance of starting.:)
Then if you are going for the d-i-y dial out tracker you need to install it in a place that requires at least 3-4 hours dismantling & over a pit. You also really need to fit 2 of these as they won't be looking for a second one.:)
A perimeter alarm; i.e. one that speaks to people when they are withing 2m of the vehicle to move away or the alarm will sound. This should be linked to the siren below.
The absolute best piece of kit is a siren that is in excess of 120/130 decibels & ruptures ear drums. Linked to the perimeter alarm to deter anyone getting in & additionally the primary operation should be inside which will ensure that anyone in there when it is activated will be rendered deaf, nauseous, etc; & Completely disorientated & unable to function.:xThumb:
You really need to be wearing ear defenders when arming/disarming to be on safe side ! :xeek:
All of the above should be run off of a completely independent battery system with access obtainable only from a pit.:)
I always carry 2 identical sets of keys & have done since locking myself out of a vehicle many years ago. When using the vehicle I never leave them anywhere except in my pockets. Any sets of keys for vehicles I'm not using are locked in a safe indoors.:xgrin:

There's a lot of German stuff that's ideal but not legal in the UK.
I always work on the " just delay them that few moments longer " that will enable me to catch them in the act & despatch them to hell. :xThumb:

You must have one hell of a checklist for arming and disarming the alarm(s).

Have you considered the most frightening and effective visual deterent known to man ?? No ? It's a green translucent strip fits across the top of your windscreen and on it is written the words of Beelzebub himself. Those words strike fear into all who read them and they shall run away screaming !!!
You want to know the words ??
Geordies on Tour

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
You must have one hell of a checklist for arming and disarming the alarm(s).
Never forgot once on any of my vans BUT you can't plan for the passengers .:xrofl: Daughter managed to knock to off position ,one of the pump switches one day . Not funny when you are overtaking in 3rd lane. :xblink::xdoh:

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp

Hey ho

This is it.
MH Tracker.jpg

You supply a PAG sim It comes with earphones so you can program it. Also the lowest item shown on the left is the standalone battery which should last for days if disconnected from the vans power

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
What ever the alarm is, if no one take notice, then it is a waste of space.
immobiliser is a better bet, and a set of airhorns inside the cab wired up to go off if an unknowing person tries to start or move it without turning the trip device off. I would not want to be in it if they went off, and it would attract attention if others were around.

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Im using this as cheap temp measure so at least if it gets moved I'll know it and can do something. In Feb I'm having Eddie fit me a super duper alarm

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
When at home. A decent bollard is almost a guarantee it won't be stolen. When away if you're going to leave it unattended then pedal locks are great along with your decent cat 1 alarm. Trackers have their uses but are easily discovered /jammed/ bypassed by a determined thief.
Old fashioned physical security can be the best.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Back to the original question......

The real risk of your motorhome being stolen is reflected in the cost of the premium.
£400 a year for a £40000 vehicle is pretty cheap and reflects a low risk of a claim.
I suspect a £40000 prestige car would cost a bit more.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

Please tell me more, I have got to offer the manufacturers details to Aviva for them to confirm whether acceptable to them or not, but I like the price of yours, so doubt it will be accepted :)

It definitely won't be acceptable to any insurance company the same as a self fit alarm wouldn't be. Installation by an approved installer is just as important to them as the actual kit. Also there are a couple of Thatcham categories for tracking devices which DIY ones won't meet.

We're with CaravanGuard. They have a list of approved tracking devices that you choose from if they require you to have one. You then have to find an approved installer who can supply you with the relevant certificate to send them afterwards. They wouldn't even quote for our MH without one.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi David Just sell the van and buy a new one :xgrin: you know you want to :xgrin::xgrin:
Bev don't listen to him :xwink: this Imob thing is just the excuse he is looking for :xwink:
Change ins co's :xThumb:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back