What is the point of...... (1 Viewer)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I'm going to start this, I was just of to bed, and started to make myself a brew. I notice an extremely cold draught as I am standing with bare legs next to the habitation door. It's the bloody vent in the footwell! What purpose does that serve? Other than to let super heated air in when you are in a hot country, or as I find myself now, artic air when in winter in England! I shall be blanking the vent off tomorrow, but why is it even there?????

Anyone else got any rants over stupid design features?

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Will at least add ventilation for your gas cooker..................

Don't blank it off and make sure you have a CO alarm...............

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Hate that... one either side of the step 8n the footwell. Have used foam pieces to blank them off. Although last year just put a strips of black gaffer tape over each one

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Gas and other nasties are usually heavier than air. As a result they'll sink to the lowest level. To avoid any possible mishaps, the vents then allow them to release to atmosphere safely, ensuring you live longer into old age.

Think WW1 trenches and how they gassed the troops.

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I have decided to replace the vent with one I can close, similar to the ones you may find in a kitchen wall. There's plenty of venting elsewhere in the van, and we do have a CO alarm.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
On ours there is a plastic flap on the outside like a mud flap to keep crud from getting in the vent holes. It was both draughty and also very noisy when driving in the rain.
I wedged a car wash sponge between the footwell vent and the plastic mud flap which has sorted both problems without actually blanking it off completely.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back