What is the most expensive UK site you know of ? (1 Viewer)

Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Agree with what nicknack said I went to very first glastonbury at 15 years old cant get a ticket now I live quite local I emailed them didnt even get a reply they could not give a xxxk

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
normally use CL's and usually pay between £8 and £15, i would pay up to £30 for the right site in the location i wanted/needed to be. I cant remember which site but we have paid around £35 a night im sure it was Lomond Wood at Balloch. While touring the highlands last November we paid £10 a night with EHU and use of swimming pool and sauna not bad for £10

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
£26 a night at Blair Atholl. I just booked a double room in a Premier Inn for less.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
The way the Glastonbury ticketing works it won't be as simple as that. I don't doubt that they are charging that for the camping but the festival ticket will won't be that easy.

EDIT: I've had a look at their website and it appears that the boss of this may be Michael Eavis' mate which, if true, and if she has "corporate" tickets available, is disappointing given what he's always said about such things

Nic, afraid to say that it does include a ticket, in fact, if you look around the web, there are plenty of packages available if you've got 3k to spend ! Sadly, very much a corporate affair now...
I'm near enough to qualify for local tickets but dearly miss many Bristolian friends who can no longer attend....

Back on topic, I've consistently found Devon Cliffs (Haven) the most expensive site in the UK - around £80 pn during summer holidays.
We wouldn't pay it, but have paid nearly £50 pn over bank holidays in the past.
I do accept that it's down to supply and demand, if they can fill it then fair play to them.
We do pay approaching 80euros a night for the best sites on the Med in July / August. I know it's top dollar but I'm not going to let 20 - 30 euros a night surcharge (compared to lesser sites) stop me from enjoying the best weeks of my summer..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Caravan Club sites like Pembrey with our caravan in school summer holidays up to £32 per night :cry: Now like finding rallies which are much better value & better company too:)

Lindacarole

Free Member
Mar 23, 2014
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta Van
Exp
Now a year !
We stayed at the campsite in Bath that is right next to the park and ride, two people with EHU for one night £26.00. There is no way on earth I would have paid that much apart from the location being exactly where we needed it. But now we have been there, done that and no need to go again. :D
If you are a member of the CC they have a CL site just above the park and ride, electric and only 5 vans, £10 per night. If you visit Bath this is the one to use. Can easily get to the park and ride and even walk int toBath from there.Very nice owners too.

UK Pete

Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
on/off since 1991in campervanss
There seems to be quite a difference between low/mid and high season prices, i tend to use sites around the £10 mark in the low to mid season , i have my own site now which costs me sweet fa so i am there all summer, the most i would be prepared to pay is £20 a night at anytime of year, i do feel for site owners as it is not a big profit business and you are so tied down running one and you cant have a life of your own
My camping season starts at easter, and i will go to tolgate caravan park cornwall about £12 per night for meor £17 if the wife goes, the lazy buzzard also easter time or whitsun or both £7 per night, then when my site has dried out there until november free, simple but enjoyable i am considering my first europe next year for a month so would be interested on euro site charges
pete

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Used to tug to Cornwall, paid around £33 pn with EHU.
Now go to France, 100 yds to beach and 300 yds to town.
Solar panel provides the electricity, gas from French gas bottles, 10k at 19 euros, 6 kg for £23 England.
cheap.JPG

Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Newbie, caravanner since 2008
If the location's good and it was a special holiday ie. Christmas, Easter, Summer hols, I'd probably be prepared to pay more than for a quick weekend getaway, down the road. I'm all for non commercial sites, with few attractions except the countryside around you and the fun you make yourself, but after (potentially) painfully having to travel with the rest of the sheep at peak times, who would want to find themselves in a boggy (sorry tofo), unmown, uneven field, with a spider-infested portoloo.
Rates others have mentioned seem sensible for EHU/non EHU at a CL/CS plus kid tax, of course. :)
One thing that irks me is the amount some CL sites charge for kids/dogs per night. I'm not aware of many dogs using showers/lecci/wifi. Not sure about others, (maybe with the exception of my 14 year old) but my lot are a pretty dirty bunch and we can all sit under a lightbulb just as happily as a single or couple, so not sure how basic sites have the cheek to charge £4/night/child. :eek: Perhaps it's to keep the van den Oever family away!
Still wondering what the catch is with the Old Hall Hotel in Caister - £5/night and allowed to use their leisure facilities, blimey! Don't worry, I'll warn you lot, which weekend we're going, so you can avoid us. ;)
As for the most expensive site I've seen, well whilst flicking through the CC 2015 guide, in the commercial section at the back, Sandy Balls seemed proud to advertise pitches for £60/night in peak season. eek!

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Sandy Balls is expensive in peak season - however, we stayed there for £10 per night in November, and it was good value, with everything we needed on site, including cafe, bars, shop, pool. Would certainly recommend it out of season

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Most we've ever paid is about £28 in Paignton 6 years ago visiting friends much to my disgust.
Most we've ever been asked $175 in LA needless to say we declined ended up wildcamping on a beach just outside stayed there for 10 days.
Don't mind paying £20 for a decent site with electric in a good location.
Dropped out of Caravan Club cant justify their rip off prices.
Do most of our camping abroad so find UK prices very expensive travel off peak season using ACSI and Aires.
£75.00 a night in Venice :eek: we stay just outside at Camping Serinissima use ACSI @ e16 a night.

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We go to a site in abersoch cos my sister has a chalet on the warren down there. The site is ok, nothing special but across the road from my sisters site so location is good. Showers are terrible as the water pressure drops and you can be left with a dribble waiting for the pressure to come back to rinse the conditioner off your hair. All this for £48 per night inc EHU and if you go on a b/hols week you must pay for a min of 7 nights even if you only go for 3 nights!

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Sandy Balls is expensive in peak season - however, we stayed there for £10 per night in November, and it was good value, with everything we needed on site, including cafe, bars, shop, pool. Would certainly recommend it out of season

Think it can be about £50pn in the high season for a family of four!

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
One thing that irks me is the amount some CL sites charge for kids/dogs per night. I'm not aware of many dogs using showers/lecci/wifi
Agree with you there, however my bug is those which charge for a car,whereas a caravan (some often a lot bigger) than a motorhome with often a large 4x4 to tow is inclusive .
Why do I want to take my car - because uk campsites are often in inaccessible places to pubs and facilities e.G shops, attractions and it would lovely when I am 200 miles away from home with work on a Friday night, to not drive home first, join hubby in motorhome and drive off again. We had a notion that we could meet at the same place. But so many campsites make this difficult.
We do have bikes, great for 10 miles max(if there are cyclr paths, as in Europe)
Rant over for now

Reactions: Mel

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I think we paid £50 a night at Sandy Balls in May.

Hated the place as well.

Paid a horrific amount in Spain for a beachside pitch last Easter especially for the 4 days over Easter itself..

I would rather not say how much because it still makes me feel sick:D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back