What is the general opinion to who to insure with (1 Viewer)

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I did ask and the reply was "sorry sir but you have been declined", "what! how is that" I replied, he apologised again and put the phone down.

I have never ever been declined insurance cover over the past 53 years at all. So I do not know what effect it will have on any of my existing covers, for car and motorbike. If any of you can educate me on this, please do.

Flook

It would appear that because of your recent motoring history they have decided that you are a risk that they don't want to accept. If that is the case it will affect you badly, and not necessarily just in regard to motor insurance. As others have said you will be asked by other companies if you have ever had cover declined and that will be followed by "why?". At this point you can't answer because you have not been told. You must find out, and the company has a duty to tell you. Don't assume, getting it wrong could have long lasting and far reaching effects. On the other hand it could be something minor which will have little effect.

With regard to current cover on your car and motorbike you must inform the insurers of your recent misfortune and they will decide your fate.

Deleted User
Travelling abroad; Don't confuse Travel Insurance with Health Insurance. Travel Insurance and fall ill, the policy gets you back to the UK for Treatment. Holiday Health Insurance is another entirely different policy, that you may get combined, you need to read the small print. Which you usually get after you have singed up and paid for. Caveat Emptor. The insurance quotes are mostly about you answering their questions. YOU MUST ask them what you need to be covered for and don't be surprised at the huge price difference, as in you only get what you pay for. We all know the excuses about not paying up. But you really have to put them on the spot as to what you are getting. Don't forget that all conversation is recorded and you can refer back to the quote, as they can for you.
Ian

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Travelling abroad; Don't confuse Travel Insurance with Health Insurance. Travel Insurance and fall ill, the policy gets you back to the UK for Treatment. Holiday Health Insurance is another entirely different policy, that you may get combined, you need to read the small print. Which you usually get after you have singed up and paid for. Caveat Emptor. The insurance quotes are mostly about you answering their questions. YOU MUST ask them what you need to be covered for and don't be surprised at the huge price difference, as in you only get what you pay for. We all know the excuses about not paying up. But you really have to put them on the spot as to what you are getting. Don't forget that all conversation is recorded and you can refer back to the quote, as they can for you.
Ian
My general rule of thumb on this is that if they ask enough questions for you to input all aspects of your pre existing condition then they are likely to be worth considering not they are probably not offering the cover you require.
I would add that I believe(d) that you have a 14 day cooling off period, is this not the case.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I am a bit surprised at that as my recent renewal with Safeguard only cost me 1.9% increase. I am paying just over £400 for a £27,000 MH and 5,000 miles a year.

The reason I stick with Safeguard is the 365 days Europe cover(trip limited) and Recovery included(used twice - minor)

Geoff

Comfort insurance £405 including recovery 365 days Europe. 8000 miles a year. Not bad for a very expensive van

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back