What is the general opinion to who to insure with (1 Viewer)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Wanted to go through NFU as like the idea of local branch,and they have a good claims reputation. But they worked out nearly double what Comfort wanted including breakdown cover,and the policy conditions with Comfort look OK.
Tried NFU, firstly their head office said they couldn't quote, my local branch had their PC system down so couldn't quote. When it was up they wanted to know when exactly I would be taking European holidays next year so they could offer 'worst case cover' o_O Sorry but Euro trips are not planned a up to year in advance in the CC household.....so that's a no to NFU!

Last edited:

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Without sounding cavalier about money I have stopped shopping around and now insure my and travel with Caravan and Motorhome Club. For me their terms and conditions for both policies are less onerous than any body else. We have had a couple of issues with them but one phone call has always sorted to our complete satisfaction.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Our insurance is due for renewal soon so I called NFU today for a quote.

I've never been asked during a motorhome quote on whether (a) I would be carrying explosives or (b) would I use said MoHo to carry up to 2,000 shotgun cartridges in any one journey.

I said no to both, naturally, but I did stipulate that I would consider the addition of explosives and ammunition to my policy should an apocalypse occur.

I think the young lady annotated that on my policy.

...........my quote has now been deferred to the underwriter!!

That will teach me eh.:rolleyes:

Andrew

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JonVonandDog

Free Member
Apr 15, 2014
Wellingborough
Funster No
MH
motorhome
Exp
I`m a newbie
I recently changed the MoHo, and although this time I simply paid quite small fee to transfer from old to new MoHo, I did the exercise checking out prices for the future. Quite happy to find quotes ranging between £250 and £325, but as I am presently insured through Caravan and Motorhome club, decided to get a quote from C&CC. Thought it was a misprint when they came back with just over £1900. Obviously I will be shopping around next year. Incidentally Blue Knight, could be that girl you were dealing with is still Googling apocalypse.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Incidentally Blue Knight, could be that girl you were dealing with is still Googling apocalypse.

Jon,

I think she first needs to Google "how to reduce the time it takes to conduct a telephone quote from 54-minutes to 10", before she does anything else.

Young Lady: "It's really kind of you to supply me with so much information for your quote".

Me: "Well, I best be as accurate and honest as possible or else you'll use it against me in the future to avoid paying out".

Young Lady. "Giggle.......giggle......giggle........giggle; ah, that's right, giggle-giggle-giggle.

I now need a whole load of therapy after that chat:cry:

All the best,

Andrew

alanalmoff

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
March
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2001
Getting the MH insurance without breakdown cover may be worth a look, going with Nationwide, breakdown, medical and a whole load of other cover comes with it, including European travel, it may be for vehicles under eight meters, it covers any vehicle that you may be in at the time, pre existing medical conditions increase the premium as you would expect, check it out !!!,,

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
which has made their quote extremely reasonable, and it includes AA breakdown cover and misfuelling. .

Actually I think they use the RAC - the one time we've had to use their breakdown assistance the RAC attended ( and were excellent). Also no weight/size limits as I believe the AA have.

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning 😊
Thanks Terry, I'll get that checked out. My notes from the conversation definitely say AA but that doesn't mean anything :)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Another vote for Comfort after a claim a few years ago premium didn't even go up.

Wandering vagabond

Free Member
Sep 16, 2017
Derbyshire (currently)
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1987
I have used Lancaster insurance for the last couple of years, a few pics and they gave me a very favourable agreed valuation , i dont have breakdown because i have full AA cover with having several other vehicles but it comes out at under 250 quid a year as they also mirror my full no claims and protect it at that price.
Rick

Nov 19, 2010
Walking the dog
Funster No
MH
Hymer 680 Starline
Exp
since 2012
Comfort - good price & friendly\helpful service.

Had to use the service twice, once for a breakdown in Spain and once for a windscreen replacement in the UK, both occasions were hassle free. Wouldn't go anywhere else.

Terry

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Comfort - good price & friendly\helpful service.

Had to use the service twice, once for a breakdown in Spain and once for a windscreen replacement in the UK, both occasions were hassle free. Wouldn't go anywhere else.

Terry

I agree with Terry 100%. We are moving from Caravan Guard to Comfort in the next few days. Great service, knowledgeable staff, good T&Cs and a fantastic price.

It doesn't get much better for me.

All the best,

Andrew

Jane Bratley

Free Member
Aug 26, 2017
Mezerolles, France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
We have just insured our first motorhome and after getting quotes from around 8-10 different insurers, we have gone with Comfort (after reading recommendations on this forum).
They offered the most competitive rate, including breakdown cover for UK and Europe and decent excesses.
Some other insurers wanted large excesses because it is a LHD van.

Deleted User
Comfort this year, however, always take best quote from anyone I've heard of. Kidding yourself if you think loyalty means a thing unless it happens to be the best quote, same with breakdown cover, utilities et al

Pilly57

Free Member
Sep 23, 2017
Middle Earth
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 140
Exp
Bit of a novice really
Thanks for the Comfort Insurance links peeps :)

I never heard of them before finding this forum. I didn't save a great deal (£11) but the process was very easy. I was insured last year with Staveley Head at £165.00 and was quoted a renewal for 17/18 of £253.00 for a 30k MH.

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 4th January 2015, first registered in January
I am at present with Comfort, I am awaiting an email (expected by the end of the week:xcool:). To be honest I do not really know what to expect, due to the fact that last year I had a minor incident (which I went into some detail on this site). My renewal date is 4th Jan, my court hearing was in Feb 16. I paid roughly £230 with Comfort in January, and they said when the court case was over to let them know the outcome, 1/ Licence endorsed with an AC20 failing to report, 5 points. 2/ licence endorsed with a CD10 driving without due care, zero points, fined for both. Went back to Comfort, they charged me an excess of £32.

So, today, I rang Caravan Guard. . . mmmm . . . I went through all there questions including "will you be using the vehicle for pleasure sir" I very nearly said no, I will be using it as a bus:xsmile:, what a stupid question to ask for a Motorhome, of course I will be using it for pleasure DOH. Anyway, when it cam to giving me my quote he said, "sorry sir but you have been declined":xblink:, "what! how is that" I replied, he apologised again and put the phone down.

Caravan Guard can go and stick it in a Moho:xsurprised:.

I expect Comfort to come back with a quote from £250 - £350. What do any of you reprobates:D2 reckon it is/will likely to bexroll:

I like the Xmas funnies:xgrin::xsmile::xangry::xblink::xblush::xcool::xdoh::xeek::xlaugh::xrofl: I give a :xThumb:.

your mate
Flook:xwink:

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Don't forget NFU Mutual. For motorhomes the Chichester Branch is well versed in MoHo cover because of the proximity to Southdowns motorhomes :xThumb:.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I am at present with Comfort, I am awaiting an email (expected by the end of the week:xcool:). To be honest I do not really know what to expect, due to the fact that last year I had a minor incident (which I went into some detail on this site). My renewal date is 4th Jan, my court hearing was in Feb 16. I paid roughly £230 with Comfort in January, and they said when the court case was over to let them know the outcome, 1/ Licence endorsed with an AC20 failing to report, 5 points. 2/ licence endorsed with a CD10 driving without due care, zero points, fined for both. Went back to Comfort, they charged me an excess of £32.

So, today, I rang Caravan Guard. . . mmmm . . . I went through all there questions including "will you be using the vehicle for pleasure sir" I very nearly said no, I will be using it as a bus:xsmile:, what a stupid question to ask for a Motorhome, of course I will be using it for pleasure DOH. Anyway, when it cam to giving me my quote he said, "sorry sir but you have been declined":xblink:, "what! how is that" I replied, he apologised again and put the phone down.

Caravan Guard can go and stick it in a Moho:xsurprised:.

I expect Comfort to come back with a quote from £250 - £350. What do any of you reprobates:D2 reckon it is/will likely to bexroll:

I like the Xmas funnies:xgrin::xsmile::xangry::xblink::xblush::xcool::xdoh::xeek::xlaugh::xrofl: I give a :xThumb:.

your mate
Flook:xwink:
you have been declined cover so you are obliged to inform your other insurer when asked unfortunately. a driving without due care and failure to report endorsements will seriously hurt your pocket on all vehicle insurances for the next 5 years

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Thanks TheBig1, I will remember that.

As far as hurting my pocket, the car went from 425 to 1200+, I went elsewhere and got it for 640ish, bike went up, went with car insurance, so I shall see and wait. If it is too much, well the MH may well be gone. Neither of us want it to go, but if circumstances arise, that may well be the option. But I live in hope and with a positive nature, and naive attitude:xThumb:

Flook:xcool:

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
SAGA charged me £303 on my recent renewal which being over 70 ,I thought was ok ,being with them for 7years ,only ever claimed for a windscreen .I have found them excellent to deal with .lol

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
I reckon, whoever your with and your happy with them, then do not change. After all why should you.

However if your among those who like to chase round for a better deal each year, the same applies, as long as your happy.

However, if you feel you have had a bad deal from an Insurance company, then shop around as suggested. It is what ever suites each of us, and we are pleased with with (innit)

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
you have been declined cover so you are obliged to inform your other insurer when asked unfortunately. a driving without due care and failure to report endorsements will seriously hurt your pocket on all vehicle insurances for the next 5 years

The declining company also has a duty to tell you why you have been declined especially as it may not be risk related. It could be something simple like the value of your machine is above the underwriters limit. I had this with SAGA. It could be that the credit checking agency gave an unfavorable report; whatever you need to know.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
The declining company also has a duty to tell you why you have been declined especially as it may not be risk related. It could be something simple like the value of your machine is above the underwriters limit. I had this with SAGA. It could be that the credit checking agency gave an unfavorable report; whatever you need to know.

I'm not so sure that this is the case.

I found that insurers were open about whether they could accept the high value of the vehicle - this is entirely down to their company policy. I would think that actually being 'declined' is more about your personal risk.

Failure to disclose that you have been declined would potentially invalidate any insurance cover.

Husky

Free Member
Sep 7, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 714SB
Exp
Since March 2017
'Declined' is a wording rarely used by insurers compared to 'we would not wish to undertake this risk. The latter allows you to get a quote elsewhere. Declined requires you to disclose to a prosective insurer.

Simplify matters and go to your local NFU Mutual office. ALL NFU Mutual offices can handle motorhome insurance. Face to face quote provided, appointment not needed. You'll get to know the staff and they get to know you.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I'm not so sure that this is the case.

I found that insurers were open about whether they could accept the high value of the vehicle - this is entirely down to their company policy. I would think that actually being 'declined' is more about your personal risk.

Failure to disclose that you have been declined would potentially invalidate any insurance cover.

Whatever the reason you should not be left to make assumptions about the reason. They are required to make it clear.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Did they actually use the word "declined"? When I moved from Caravanguard (to Comfort) the very nice guy used the phrase "could I suggest that you look elsewhere?" This was because I wanted a higher annual mileage limit and the increased premium was rather large - he did admit that they didn't usually offer higher annual mileage cover.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
That's the difference isn't it?

You wouldn't be 'declined' because the company couldn't meet a customer's needs. You're only going to be declined because you don't meet their requirements. Obviously in the case mentioned it would be due to the incident mentioned in the post above.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
If you hear the word declined you should at least ask why, although you should be told without having to ask. It is wrong for you to have to make an assumption as to why, and for them to leave you it that position. Clarity is everything. Why would anyone be afraid to ask?

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
I did ask and the reply was "sorry sir but you have been declined", "what! how is that" I replied, he apologised again and put the phone down.

I have never ever been declined insurance cover over the past 53 years at all. So I do not know what effect it will have on any of my existing covers, for car and motorbike. If any of you can educate me on this, please do.

Flook

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sorry its not what you want to hear, but those words "DECLINED INSURANCE" have a long lasting effect in any future insurance. The company that declined insurance will of put your risk to their underwriters and they decided that you personally pose too great a risk to insure. Because of this you will be deemed to have 0 percent no claims bonus and this will apply to all vehicles you insure, motorhome, cars & motorcycles
generally any motoring convictions stay valid against your insurance for 5 years.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back