What is the future for motorhomes (1 Viewer)

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
sales of diesel cars down, diesel prices being pushed up, diesel owners told we are the spawn of the devil....and

The Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders report that, sales of diesel engine cars falling off dramatically — 30 per cent down from a year ago

So will we all be left with vehicles we can't afford to run and that we can't sell?

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
sales of diesel cars down, diesel prices being pushed up, diesel owners told we are the spawn of the devil....and

The Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders will report today that, sales of diesel engine cars falling off dramatically — 30 per cent down from a year ago

So will we all be left with vehicles we can't afford to run and that we can't sell?
They will be cheaper to buy and being a MH fuel costs for many will be only be minimally more?

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
When they are all self driving we can go in the back and sit and have a coffee (or whatever else you fancy) whilst it takes us to our destination:D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
They will be a significantly smaller pultravelinghorse maybe two, then life will be a lot better pace with no worries about where's the nearest filling station for fuel or lpg. The roof made of one solar pannel.

:party2::party2::party2::party2::party2::party2::party2:

l for one would have one like a shot travelling down the M1 with all the quiet electric cars and trucks.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
A very long way to go before larger diesel vehicles disappear

Yep, I totally agree with you but there's no doubt IMO that the older diesel engines will soon come under a whole load of criticism from anyone and everyone.

Also, I don't think it will be that long before owning an old diesel vehicle means that you can only retain ownership as long as it just sits on your drive and doesn't move - and that won't be good for older motorhomes for sure.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Yep, I totally agree with you but there's no doubt IMO that the older diesel engines will soon come under a whole load of criticism from anyone and everyone.

Also, I don't think it will be that long before owning an old diesel vehicle means that you can only retain ownership as long as it just sits on your drive and doesn't move - and that won't be good for older motorhomes for sure.

I don`t agree with this at all, just look to the massive following of vintage cars, motorbikes and let`s not forget Steam... plenty of Steam trains still being used.

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
They will be cheaper to buy and being a MH fuel costs for many will be only be minimally more?
Cheaper to buy? So we can expect to get significantly less on the re sale of our current vehicles?

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
I think in the near future there will be increased tax for diesels on a scale depending on what Euro class it is. Euro 6 being the cheapest or no change, increasing through 5, 4, 3 etc. The oldest having such high tax that they are seen as uneconomical to keep.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997

If it was all about economy we wouldn't buy them in the first place would we? A small car and a tent would be far cheaper.

We had our last MH for 11 years from new. If the current one (and we) last that long it'll see us to 70, so I'm not going to fret too much about resale value. They've always been a long term investment for us, with the reward being the benefits of using it. I suppose it might be different if you swap MH every 2-3 years.

To my mind, the immediate issue will be the spread of low emission zones and what sort of Euro engine standard you have. Older engines are more likely to be penalised, as the Crit'Air and Umwelt systems are already showing us. Likewise if the London LEZ and Congestion Charge systems spread to other major cities in the UK it could get more costly to move through them, if you need to.

Until all the heavy trucks and medium sized vans are replaced with electric alternatives there's going to have to be a steady supply of diesel fuel, and that's nowhere close yet. If I'd had the choice of a petrol MH as opposed to a diesel I'd have gone for it, but the option wasn't there. Maybe manufacturers will switch to petrol base vehicles in the near future?

Apr 20, 2012
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Camper van
Exp
1year 10 times
Maybe affect the grandkids but tooooooo far away in the future for me to worry about ( like the idea of a coffee whilst auto pilot drives)

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I don`t agree with this at all, just look to the massive following of vintage cars, motorbikes and let`s not forget Steam... plenty of Steam trains still being used.

I don't think for one second that a few vintage vehicles will hold back the current momentum for change.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
When they are all self driving we can go in the back and sit and have a coffee (or whatever else you fancy) whilst it takes us to our destination:D

...and the old cruise control urban legend will finally come true.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I personally think, that Sense will prevail, And whilst Diesels will be, along with Petrol, "phased out" at the top end. The existing ones will be with us for a long while yet, The economics, as well as the political pressure will not be appreciated by Politicians, should they start making too many waves. If you are (say) a Transport Operator, the cost of converting a fleet would be crippling for starters, and the Gov`t would be unlikely to want to put public money into such a contentious Idea!.

There is already a bit of a backlash from manufacturers over the RATE of change wanted by the "green" pressure groups, who, lets face it would have us all back in Mud hut`s, coping with 3rd world diseases we eliminated years ago, and walking everywhere. THEY, have no idea just how much disabled people rely on individual motive transport. Try getting to a Hospital appointment from some of the villages, without using a car!. PUBLIC transport is non existent outside of Urban Area`s. "Subsidising" Taxi`s? Come on get real!.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
I don't think for one second that a few vintage vehicles will hold back the current momentum for change.

The diesel car is just an easy target for all the clean air brigade to jump on, just like the open fire and log burner.
Now then what are they going to do about the 10 litre plus diesel engine`s that are currently running up and down the country delivering all our produce, what about all the diesel generators.
These all use engines far bigger than a motorcar, yet we never hear Mr or Mrs clean air society explaning how they are going to be replaced.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
I think motorhomes will be strapped to the next generation Falcon Heavy and sent on a road trip to outer space......Rocket fuel replacing diesel. Obvious innit?

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Generally speaking legislation cannot be retro active , so it will probably be higher road tax, due to transport of goods reliance on diesel for a good few years yet , they cant raise fuel tax much .
LEZ will certainly increase in BUA , but congestion makes bi pass pretty universal even now . In Europe , mainly Germany this is a current factor already , so due to restrictions I just park up on the outside of the relevant Zone , use a scooter to go in and look round , which is easier than even taking a car in , some times public transport is just as convenient . I see road pricing (tolls) as a bigger threat to traveling costs , eg Germany will be looking to implement down to private car level for "auslander"

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Doubt there will be much change in the foreseeable future.

Even when there is a a viable alternative for freight/vans/motorhomes I can't see regulations coming in that affect existing vehicles massively. It would either cripple our delivery network or cost government a mint.

More likely that when there is an alternative to diesel it's initially incentivised. Besides, the same Green pressure groups won't want millions of vehicles scrapped.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
The diesel car is just an easy target for all the clean air brigade to jump on, just like the open fire and log burner.
Now then what are they going to do about the 10 litre plus diesel engine`s that are currently running up and down the country delivering all our produce, what about all the diesel generators.
These all use engines far bigger than a motorcar, yet we never hear Mr or Mrs clean air society explaning how they are going to be replaced.

If we were chatting 10-years ago (or even 5), then I would have agreed with you but, not now.

The whole pollution issue has become a global political pawn and now manufacturers and political parties alike are pushing forward hard to ensure they are the ones that make the biggest and most radicle changes first.

We've had the '2040' timeline given recently but I don't even think that 2040 will survive contact with the current changes that seem to be coming about.

It won't be long until we're popping up to Space for a cuppa before returning to Earth for dinner and a snuggle with the missus; things are changing fast.

The diesel-thing will no doubt drag on for a while and then suddenly, out of the blue, there will be a total change because some manufacturer has found the solution to all of our fuel and pollution problems - I can see it now.

My plan is to use my MoHo for a few more years, endure the tax hikes and the emission zone restrictions and then convert my van into a storage facility for my vintage motorbikes.

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
Well I think first they will have to condemn the millions of trucks that thunder up and down our roads delivering all kinds of important goods, add that to the millions of vans, pick ups etc l don't think motorhomers will be effected that soon and probably not in the touring lifetime of many of us on here.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
because some manufacturer has found the solution to all of our fuel and pollution problems

They have, It`s called Hydrogen, The problem is everyone has seen the "Hindenburg". The next thing is a viable Hydrogen generator on the vehicle, reducing the tankage to the bare minimum, just water. That is IMV where the Research money should be spent.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
No worries, our 8.1L big block Vortec runs on petrol. :)
It would totally pee me off to see how much cheaper, therefore affordable your 8.1Ltr Big Block RV would be to run if you left it in the states, and toured over there :cry::cry::cry::cry: see below, then dry your eyes, what makes it even worse is that the prices quoted today are in Dollars!!! And.... there is no political or environmental pressure on anyone owning them in The US. We really are suckers over here, we just have to take what rules are thrown at us, all in the name of global warming or city pollution, yet look at the pollution air density in LA!!!Musk is even proposing a hydraulic tube to push vehicles along under the city???Wonder why Sadek Khan hasnt thought of that one for London
Les.
Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed
Average Regular Gas Price by State. Switch to · Texas. 2.334. -0.003 · Mississippi. 2.351. -0.007 · South Carolina. 2.351. -0.004 · Alabama. 2.361. -0.005 · Oklahoma. 2.368. -0.003 · Arkansas. 2.377. -0.004 · Arizona. 2.378. +0.014 · Missouri. 2.384. -0.004 · Tennessee. 2.402. -0.005 · New Mexico. 2.414. -0.004 · Louisiana.

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016

The Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders report that, sales of diesel engine cars falling off dramatically — 30 per cent down from a year ago

In my view, I suspect car sales are largely down because of the government tax changes to new cars making lower emission cars much more expensive to tax. I changed mine just before the changes and I expect many others also did the same as sales of new car sales went up significantly around that time.
It is now cheaper to keep running an older one so people aren't changing them.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

There’s always red or heating oil.

I believe certain parts of a certain community are familiar with the practice of using the above means for propolstion of diesel vehicles

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Whilst I think Diesel is being berated as a political issue not an environmental one

Keeping an eye on the development is the US they already have all Electric HGV's capable of 400 mile ranges
here is Europe with a first all electric motorhome in development

but of course everyone always wants what they have NOW instead of what is coming until it's normalised

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Road tax may be targeted but there is a solution for those that plan to use their MHs for just a few weeks/months - SORN

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
It would totally pee me off to see how much cheaper, therefore affordable your 8.1Ltr Big Block RV would be to run if you left it in the states, and toured over there :cry::cry::cry::cry: see below, then dry your eyes, what makes it even worse is that the prices quoted today are in Dollars!!! And.... there is no political or environmental pressure on anyone owning them in The US. We really are suckers over here, we just have to take what rules are thrown at us, all in the name of global warming or city pollution, yet look at the pollution air density in LA!!!Musk is even proposing a hydraulic tube to push vehicles along under the city???Wonder why Sadek Khan hasnt thought of that one for London
Les.
Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed
Average Regular Gas Price by State. Switch to · Texas. 2.334. -0.003 · Mississippi. 2.351. -0.007 · South Carolina. 2.351. -0.004 · Alabama. 2.361. -0.005 · Oklahoma. 2.368. -0.003 · Arkansas. 2.377. -0.004 · Arizona. 2.378. +0.014 · Missouri. 2.384. -0.004 · Tennessee. 2.402. -0.005 · New Mexico. 2.414. -0.004 · Louisiana.

In hindsight as you mention , better VFM If I had bought my RV and left in US to holiday and travel over there , as its becoming really noticeable that EU are putting more and more costs and restrictions on vehicle use in the EU . I started traveling by landrover camper in Europe back in 68 , and it was so easy then , even having to take 7 different currencies and pass thru borders .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back