What is the future for motorhomes (1 Viewer)

john lillie

Banned
Life Ban
May 11, 2016
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
a class euramobil
Exp
25 years
years ago I re-engined a Merc camper van from petrol to diesel quite easily, surely some sort of alternative conversion would be available at some point?

Hilewaychile

Free Member
Oct 10, 2017
Very variable. UK and Spain are the loci
Funster No
MH
DIY Vaux Movano
Exp
10 years, on and off.
The diesel car is just an easy target for all the clean air brigade to jump on, just like the open fire and log burner.
Now then what are they going to do about the 10 litre plus diesel engine`s that are currently running up and down the country delivering all our produce, what about all the diesel generators.
These all use engines far bigger than a motorcar, yet we never hear Mr or Mrs clean air society explaning how they are going to be replaced.

Re HGV engines, 'Mr or Mrs clean air society' do not factor those in because they do not understand the issue in its totality and that aspect of the issue does not cross their minds

The media have not made any noises about the commercial sector of diesel vehicles because there is no alternative remotely possible a.t.mo. so it's a non-story. The private vehicles we all run around in are an easy target. The manufacturers have twigged this, which is why there are now increasing numbers of 'eco'-powered cars. The fact that this sector is nowhere near being the principle polluter is neither here nor there. PR rules.

Many of the 'campaigns' to encourage us to be eco are aimed at footling little issues that serve only to make people feel guilty about their own behaviour and/or finger-wagging about the behaviour of others. A very good example of this is stickers in offices about turning the lights out, while the car parks and the 30-bay delivery docks are surrounded by regiments of massive lamps on gantries, burning 24/7. I always think about this when I pass TfL's tube train depot, somewhere west of Ealing. There are acres of sidings and sheds, illuminated 24/7 by a vast array of sodium lamps.

And as for the 'open fire and log burner' issue - that makes me smile. I have a couple of friends for whom eco-greenism is pretty much a religion. He has a small tree-fettling business, serving the great and good of Kensington & Chelsea and Westminster. She worked for years in an outfit with 'Conservation' in the name, is now on their board, and one of whose founders is eco-advisor to the Archbish of Cant.

They live opposite the Holland Park Hilton, in gold-plated London W11. Obviously they have an endless supply of timber, with him lopping and topping, including the trees in the garden of the late Lord Snowdon. But, back in the day of the great London fogs, you can bet your life that these two would be prominent campaigners against solid fuel fires.

When I stay with them, they bark loudly at me for turning on the kitchen hot tap "There's the kettle on the log burner!". Yet they have no TRV's on their rads. They have no timer on their c/h system. The thermostat is so old it sticks 'on' when it finally switches the heating on. They will not have a shower installed, saving energy and water "because we like the bathroom as it is".

There is not a lot of joined up thinking in the eco-green world, from the politicians to the hand-wringing guilt-ridden population.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Re HGV engines, 'Mr or Mrs clean air society' do not factor those in because they do not understand the issue in its totality and that aspect of the issue does not cross their minds

The media have not made any noises about the commercial sector of diesel vehicles because there is no alternative remotely possible a.t.mo. so it's a non-story. The private vehicles we all run around in are an easy target. The manufacturers have twigged this, which is why there are now increasing numbers of 'eco'-powered cars. The fact that this sector is nowhere near being the principle polluter is neither here nor there. PR rules.

Many of the 'campaigns' to encourage us to be eco are aimed at footling little issues that serve only to make people feel guilty about their own behaviour and/or finger-wagging about the behaviour of others. A very good example of this is stickers in offices about turning the lights out, while the car parks and the 30-bay delivery docks are surrounded by regiments of massive lamps on gantries, burning 24/7. I always think about this when I pass TfL's tube train depot, somewhere west of Ealing. There are acres of sidings and sheds, illuminated 24/7 by a vast array of sodium lamps.

And as for the 'open fire and log burner' issue - that makes me smile. I have a couple of friends for whom eco-greenism is pretty much a religion. He has a small tree-fettling business, serving the great and good of Kensington & Chelsea and Westminster. She worked for years in an outfit with 'Conservation' in the name, is now on their board, and one of whose founders is eco-advisor to the Archbish of Cant.

They live opposite the Holland Park Hilton, in gold-plated London W11. Obviously they have an endless supply of timber, with him lopping and topping, including the trees in the garden of the late Lord Snowdon. But, back in the day of the great London fogs, you can bet your life that these two would be prominent campaigners against solid fuel fires.

When I stay with them, they bark loudly at me for turning on the kitchen hot tap "There's the kettle on the log burner!". Yet they have no TRV's on their rads. They have no timer on their c/h system. The thermostat is so old it sticks 'on' when it finally switches the heating on. They will not have a shower installed, saving energy and water "because we like the bathroom as it is".

There is not a lot of joined up thinking in the eco-green world, from the politicians to the hand-wringing guilt-ridden population.
It's

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Plant a tree and that' it you are allowed a little pollution....load of codgewallop...Busby.

Aug 17, 2017
Funster No
MH
PVC - AT Tribute T-670
Exp
12,332 motorhomes were registered in 2016 in the UK and the numbers are increasing. I'm not a betting man but I would wager that the large majority of those were diesel driven. Obviously it would be better to have a Euro 6 engine but I don't think there is any need to worry for a while yet.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I wonder if Germany will legally rule today to ban diesel vehicles in certain German cities. The ruling will be disseminated this afternoon.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I wonder if Germany will legally rule today to ban diesel vehicles in certain German cities. The ruling will be disseminated this afternoon.

A quick update: The German court has deferred it's ruling (on banning diesel vehicles) until the 27th Feb.

One for the diary;)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
I think that any government that is serious about pollution should ban all cars from Cities and large towns...most are only carrying one passenger..Off course Park and Ride would have to be upgraded...BUSBY,,,

Reactions: Sue
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
They are doing it by stealth already All day parking in Oxford can be as high as £37 , 2 hour max £5 , where allowed over 6hours £18

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
@SpeedyDux They moved from there about 9 miles down the road to Bicester Park and ride !!

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Fiat-Chrysler has just announced that it will cease production of its diesel passenger vehicle line by 2022.

Last edited:

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
A quick update: The German court has deferred it's ruling (on banning diesel vehicles) until the 27th Feb.

One for the diary;)

The German Legal system has voted in favour of the ban so I wonder if other parts of Europe will follow soon.

As you can imagine the German Automotive Industry is not best pleased.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Spriddler you horror!!
I am looking at old posts...and have been trying to blow the little spider away!!
bug.gif

:xwink:

Jan 22, 2017
North wales
Funster No
MH
Ace Napoli (Swift)
Exp
Since February 2019
I am not keen on spiders...but can cope if it's alive...it's the dead ones that make me want to throw up...so thanks.(I think)

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I have a deep dislike of spiders. For many years now I have put one conker in each corner of every room of my Victorian cottage of dark nooks and crannies and ill-fitting woodwork - an attractive environment for spiders, and have never been bothered with spiders indoors. I renew the conkers each year and did just that a couple of weeks ago.

Jan 22, 2017
North wales
Funster No
MH
Ace Napoli (Swift)
Exp
Since February 2019
I have a deep dislike of spiders. For many years now I have put one conker in each corner of every room of my Victorian cottage of dark nooks and crannies and ill-fitting woodwork - an attractive environment for spiders, and have never been bothered with spiders indoors. I renew the conkers each year and did just that a couple of weeks ago.
Thanks I'll give that a go

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back