What is the best way to tow a manual smart car - 2015 - 2017 model (1 Viewer)

Aug 13, 2021
North west
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi all,

We are looking for advice on the best way to tow a smart for two car on the back of our motorhome. Also where to buy the necessary parts from please.

We don’t really want a trailer, we are thinking A frame or towing dolly. It looks like if you have an A frame then you need a specific part to attach to the car which is sold separately and we can only find one suitable for a Smart car up to 2012.

Any advice or tips gratefully received thank you.

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
If you're planning on going to the EU with it I'd just get the trailer, costs will be negligible if you can find a used trailer because when you're done with it as long as it's still roadworthy you'll probably get most of your money back , you can't A frame in Europe and a towing dolly is only for emergency use so you're likely to get a pull from the UK police if you do that.

IIRC it's £1000+ to get an A frame fitted to a smart car so it's legal to tow in the UK , you'll probably find a used trailer for similar

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Towing dolly are not legal, only for breakdown use.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Hi all,

We are looking for advice on the best way to tow a smart for two car on the back of our motorhome. Also where to buy the necessary parts from please.

We don’t really want a trailer, we are thinking A frame or towing dolly. It looks like if you have an A frame then you need a specific part to attach to the car which is sold separately and we can only find one suitable for a Smart car up to 2012.

Any advice or tips gratefully received thank you.
The manual Smart ForTwo 453 cannot be flat towed. There is a lot of discussion on various forums if you Google it. The manual transmission uses pumped lubrication. Strangely the auto version can be flat towed and Smart supply information on how it can be done - it's a bit of a faff though. I tow a 453 on a trailer - legal anywhere and I can reverse it. Not the case with a toad.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back