What is the best way to get rid of really bad traffic film. (1 Viewer)

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
My MH is a 2001 Rimor and the paintwork is YUK! the traffic film and dirt is bad. I want to have a go at getting it, well, looking better.

I was hoping that somebody could point me in the right direction regarding the best polish or cleaner to use without (of course) doing damage to the paintwork.

Is a Micro cloth the best to use?

Unless of course somebody would drop into my house in Spain and show me how it is done. :):whistle:(y)

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Proper TFR if used carefully and correctly will do the job but you will have to apply polish afterwards as it removes the original polish too.
Beware of plastics and decals as it can easily damage them though.
As with anything that is so good at the job it is important to test on a small area first.

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
This is what you need!!
Link Removed

eBay or Amazon have it.
Wet vehicle then spray it on with a pressure sprayer, leave it a few mins but don't let it dry and then hose off.
I then use a good wash/wax and it comes up a treat every time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
This is what you need!!
Link Removed

eBay or Amazon have it.
Wet vehicle then spray it on with a pressure sprayer, leave it a few mins but don't let it dry and then hose off.
I then use a good wash/wax and it comes up a treat every time.
If you use any TFR please READ THE DILUTION INSTRUCTIONS , if even a little too strong it WILL cause damage. Personally would only use TFR from a reputable company as the cheap ones are just one down from paint stripper.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
TFRs are in my opinion best left to the professionals . We have seen members here with badly marked decals and makes to the point where the only sollution was replacement. TFRs have the potential to cause irreversible damage to many components and finishes to cars vans and Motorhomes.. it's far to risky to use.

As Mike quite rightly points out above there are many types of TFR if the wrong one is used or even the best are used but wrongly diluted the results can be disastrous! I once saw a brand spanking new Audi Q7 with its brightwork and paintwork destroyed by the improper use of TFR. I have seen literally dozens of cars that have required in depth machine polishing to restore paint after TFR bieng applied either to strongly or left to dry.

In short don't use it !

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
As long as you keep it wet and dilute as per instructions you'll be fine. I've never had a problem and used it for years on all my vans and vehicles including an F type Jag. Trick is to make sure you get every last bit off and then use a good wash/wax

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Thank you@Charlie for the advice you have given. I am about to order some Mothers California Gold 07240 from Amazon, hope that will be OK, it has quite good reviews.
Colonite 476 much cheaper, easier to apply and will last much longer

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
As long as you keep it wet and dilute as per instructions you'll be fine. I've never had a problem and used it for years on all my vans and vehicles including an F type Jag. Trick is to make sure you get every last bit off and then use a good wash/wax
Sorry but you won't convince me, your link is to a product that I would call cheap and dangerous and definitely NOT for motorhomes

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
>> What is the best way to get rid of really bad traffic film.

Turn the TV off.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
But that seems to be a wax, and I was going to order Mothers because it was a Clay. Confused,,
Confusion does in fact rieghn ....

If you can be specific as to the surfaces you are going to clay it would help. In general though go for a medium cut clay and remember the golden rules.

Do not press the clay into the surface this will not aid cutting.

Lube lube and lube. Like polishes clay needs lube but more so !!!

Use a small piece of clay never the whole block. If dropped onto the floor it must be thrown away so use that small piece.

Most importantly though lube really well.

If you clay has insufficient bite it will simply mean it will take a little longer that's all. But it. will be safe so don't worry !!

The surface will become ultra smooth and this will tell you how clean it is or has become. Sliding your hands across the surface will now find no resistance. That's because all the muck grime and bonded contamination is being removed.

Did I mention lubrication ! ???? The clay must glide across the surface. It must not grip or bind it must slide like a greasy man down an icy slope. :)

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Confusion does in fact rieghn ....

If you can be specific as to the surfaces you are going to clay it would help. In general though go for a medium cut clay and remember the golden rules.

Do not press the clay into the surface this will not aid cutting.

Lube lube and lube. Like polishes clay needs lube but more so !!!

Use a small piece of clay never the whole block. If dropped onto the floor it must be thrown away so use that small piece.

Most importantly though lube really well.

If you clay has insufficient bite it will simply mean it will take a little longer that's all. But it. will be safe so don't worry !!

The surface will become ultra smooth and this will tell you how clean it is or has become. Sliding your hands across the surface will now find no resistance. That's because all the much grime and bonded contamination is being removed.

Did I mention lubrication ! ???? The clay must glide across the surface. It must not grip or bind it must slide like a greasy man down an icy slope. :)

Thanks again @Charlie so I guess it's the Mothers California Clay and THEN the wax polish. If I understand correctly :)(y)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Thanks again @Charlie so I guess it's the Mothers California Clay and THEN the wax polish. If I understand correctly :)(y)

Yes mate clay then wax.

Wax and polish are two completely different things that do two entirely different jobs.

But for your purpose which is to thoroughly clean and then protect clay the surface then wipe down nice and clean then wax.

There are guides to claying plus Colinite wax and its application and also polishing here in the detailing section.

Any questions just ask in the relevant section...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back