What is the best bank to be with if touring eu morocco? (1 Viewer)

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
I am with lloyds but nowadays feel no loyalty to them though I have been with them since my first bank account - nowaday banks have no loyalty to their customers as far as I can see and my manager changes every 3 or 4 years anyway.

I suddenly thought if there would be advantages to using a different bank once I am travelling in the EU.

Does Lloyds have any overseas branches? or would I be better with a Euro bank - say Santander or doesnt that sort of thing matter now? (bear in mind I have been pretty well stuck in one place for many years now so dont notice how things might have been changing)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I think you will find there is not a European bank like you are thinking.. Otherwise every ex-pat would be clapping their hands in Joy.. They may have the same names but banking rules etc stop them operating as 1 entity...
For cash withdrawal many either use a Nationwide (? i think) acc where there are no charges overseas on cash point withdrawals or load up cash on cards like Caxton..

In Morocco I never had need to withdraw and cash but I know some did.
The bank of "cash in pocket" is best over there.

Sure others will be along soon with better information..

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Halifax Clarity for fuel and any other large credit purchases - pay off every month

Pre loaded FairFX card with euros

Pocket full of 'nelson eddies' to swop for dirhams :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Banks

Hi

I dumped Caxton as the rates were not as good as my other cards.

I use Norwich and Peterborough BS fee free debit card for ATM withdrawals & Halifax Clarity credit card for purchases.

My own "investigation" to exchange Link Broken

Russell

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
I applied to them( Caxton FX )recently but had a reply back from them stating they could not verify me so refused to take my money for travelling :Doh::Doh:

Asked by them .. "Please send a copy of the page which has my photo on my passport" also some utilities etc (which shows all my personal details etc) is it me or what but I thought it was illegal to photocopy your passport and post to an unknown ?? (states so on my passport anyway ) now I could understand if we had not lived here very long BUT... we have lived here nearly 30yrs :Doh::Doh: .. also do I shop online and known by some very good shopping places ..wahoo :thumb: ...Oh Yes ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

so how do they verify you ... ebay knows me so who else then

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I applied to them( Caxton FX )recently but had a reply back from them stating they could not verify me so refused to take my money for travelling :Doh::Doh:

Asked by them .. "Please send a copy of the page which has my photo on my passport" also some utilities etc (which shows all my personal details etc) is it me or what but I thought it was illegal to photocopy your passport and post to an unknown ?? (states so on my passport anyway ) now I could understand if we had not lived here very long BUT... we have lived here nearly 30yrs :Doh::Doh: .. also do I shop online and known by some very good shopping places ..wahoo :thumb: ...Oh Yes ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

so how do they verify you ... ebay knows me so who else then

My experience has been total opposite.. Did online application.. email same day saying approved. Card arrived in post... Went online to activate, downloaded the app to me ipad / phone... and all ready to go....:thumb:

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
You can't get a foreign bank account unless you are a resident.
I bank with Santander, and even they wouldn't open me a Spanish account (without an NIE number), but as they are a Spanish company at least I can use their ATM's in spain with no extra fees:thumb:
....not much help in Morroco though! I sugest a good safe!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I use Barclays but TBH only because they were the account I started with as a student - they were giving away a freebie or something at the time IIRC. However, using their Visa debit card in ATMs in Europe gives a very good rate (within a percentage or so of the official exchange rate, i.e. not the tourist rate you get at the Post Office or wherever you use to buy currency. I have also used it in Morocco but can't remember if the same applied - I don't remember any horrific charges so it was probably fine. It was a few years ago. I've also used it in several Middle Eastern countries, again without problems.

I also have a Post Office money card which can pre-loaded. It is Mastercard so gives an alternative to Visa but I'm not wholly sold on the idea of the card but it is worth having it as a backup and not carry it on my person but leave in the MH safe.

I also use Barclay's internet banking which I can access from my smart phone to pay bills in the UK and this certainly works overseas - if you can get a data signal of course.

Halifax internet banking as well, but that seems to need access to a tablet or PC to work but this allows me to dip into savings if I need more money than budgeted for in an emergency.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Cash in Morocco

Hi, you will probably be best off taking cash and changing up over there.
I think that we were changing about eur 100 at a time as money goes a long way.
fuel about 62p a litre and meal about eur 6 each.
I'm sure someone can respond with more accurate figures.
Please ensure that you dont have spare Dirahms at the end, cos cannot change back at port,

S

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back