What is the best bank to be with if touring eu morocco?

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by dippingatoe, Dec 2, 2013.

1. dippingatoe

dippingatoe Funster

Ratings:
    +1,312
    I am with lloyds but nowadays feel no loyalty to them though I have been with them since my first bank account - nowaday banks have no loyalty to their customers as far as I can see and my manager changes every 3 or 4 years anyway.

I suddenly thought if there would be advantages to using a different bank once I am travelling in the EU.

Does Lloyds have any overseas branches? or would I be better with a Euro bank - say Santander or doesnt that sort of thing matter now? (bear in mind I have been pretty well stuck in one place for many years now so dont notice how things might have been changing)

2. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +11,421
    I think you will find there is not a European bank like you are thinking.. Otherwise every ex-pat would be clapping their hands in Joy.. They may have the same names but banking rules etc stop them operating as 1 entity...
    For cash withdrawal many either use a Nationwide (? i think) acc where there are no charges overseas on cash point withdrawals or load up cash on cards like Caxton..

In Morocco I never had need to withdraw and cash but I know some did.
    The bank of "cash in pocket" is best over there.

Sure others will be along soon with better information..

3. canopus

canopus Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +4,825
    Halifax Clarity for fuel and any other large credit purchases - pay off every month

Pre loaded FairFX card with euros

Pocket full of 'nelson eddies' to swop for dirhams :thumb:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  4. estcres

estcres

Ratings:
    +766
    Bank of Mum & Dad

• Like it Like it x 3
  5. Rapide561

Rapide561

Ratings:
    +164
    Banks

Hi

I dumped Caxton as the rates were not as good as my other cards.

I use Norwich and Peterborough BS fee free debit card for ATM withdrawals & Halifax Clarity credit card for purchases.

My own "investigation" to exchange rates is here

Russell

6. champers

champers Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +2,633
    I applied to them( Caxton FX )recently but had a reply back from them stating they could not verify me so refused to take my money for travelling :Doh::Doh:

Asked by them .. "Please send a copy of the page which has my photo on my passport" also some utilities etc (which shows all my personal details etc) is it me or what but I thought it was illegal to photocopy your passport and post to an unknown ?? (states so on my passport anyway ) now I could understand if we had not lived here very long BUT... we have lived here nearly 30yrs :Doh::Doh: .. also do I shop online and known by some very good shopping places ..wahoo :thumb: ...Oh Yes ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

so how do they verify you ... ebay knows me so who else then

7. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +11,421
    My experience has been total opposite.. Did online application.. email same day saying approved. Card arrived in post... Went online to activate, downloaded the app to me ipad / phone... and all ready to go....:thumb:

• Like it Like it x 2
  8. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +5,901
    You can't get a foreign bank account unless you are a resident.
    I bank with Santander, and even they wouldn't open me a Spanish account (without an NIE number), but as they are a Spanish company at least I can use their ATM's in spain with no extra fees:thumb:
    ....not much help in Morroco though! I sugest a good safe!

9. DBK

DBK Funster

Ratings:
    +22,093
    I use Barclays but TBH only because they were the account I started with as a student - they were giving away a freebie or something at the time IIRC. However, using their Visa debit card in ATMs in Europe gives a very good rate (within a percentage or so of the official exchange rate, i.e. not the tourist rate you get at the Post Office or wherever you use to buy currency. I have also used it in Morocco but can't remember if the same applied - I don't remember any horrific charges so it was probably fine. It was a few years ago. I've also used it in several Middle Eastern countries, again without problems.

I also have a Post Office money card which can pre-loaded. It is Mastercard so gives an alternative to Visa but I'm not wholly sold on the idea of the card but it is worth having it as a backup and not carry it on my person but leave in the MH safe.

I also use Barclay's internet banking which I can access from my smart phone to pay bills in the UK and this certainly works overseas - if you can get a data signal of course.

Halifax internet banking as well, but that seems to need access to a tablet or PC to work but this allows me to dip into savings if I need more money than budgeted for in an emergency.

10. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +4,305
    Cash in Morocco

Hi, you will probably be best off taking cash and changing up over there.
    I think that we were changing about eur 100 at a time as money goes a long way.
    fuel about 62p a litre and meal about eur 6 each.
    I'm sure someone can respond with more accurate figures.
    Please ensure that you dont have spare Dirahms at the end, cos cannot change back at port,

S