CandC

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 22, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Old School :D
Exp
Used to go with the olds! Now I have one of my own :)
:D:DWell, this has certainly stirred up some lively debate :)

Yes, everyone has the right to wave or not to wave, just as they have the right to turn their head away when met with an uninvited smile or "good morning."

Wouldn't the world be just a tiny bit nicer if more people smiled though? So here have a big :D and a (y) from me, free of charge and without obligation!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

whoa

Free Member
May 2, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
It's been sold, no more
Exp
I'm a newbie
:D:DWell, this has certainly stirred up some lively debate :)

Yes, everyone has the right to wave or not to wave, just as they have the right to turn their head away when met with an uninvited smile or "good morning."

Wouldn't the world be just a tiny bit nicer if more people smiled though? So here have a big :D and a (y) from me, free of charge and without obligation!

I live in Yorkshire so if it's going free I'll have it, this is one southerner whose learnt the lessons, good job there's no Yorkies on this site or I'd be in bother, only lived here 37 years, but a very nice Gesture From CandC, so I'll return the favour(y):D oh but I did say I live in Yorkshire therefore bill is in the post:LOL::whistle:

Seajay

Banned
Nov 2, 2014
Funster No
MH
C L Meridien
Exp
since 2000
A tight Yorkie ?....never!!.........so let's be havin yer address 'cos we don't hang about 'ere in Cornwall about sending out our bills y'know.. someone has to pay for rescuing all you silly buggers that keep on falling off Lands End !! :LOL:

whoa

Free Member
May 2, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
It's been sold, no more
Exp
I'm a newbie
Perhaps if you all paid your council tax, you could have street lighting on during the hours of darkness so the wonderful paying visitors wouldn't fall off:LOL::rolleyes: anyway someone's nicked the Lands End sign so visitors don't realise it's the end:cool::whistle:, and I don't consider the Longships lighthouse as street lighting, but I suppose it's cheaper:roflmto::giggler::lipssealed:

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
Well Fireman Sam, could the 'deep inside misery' just be trapped wind!?.:eek:......Bye the way CWH I see you are a resident of the great ''Oggieland''.........whereabouts ? :)...

Nothing trapped about it, and it wouldn't make anyone smile.

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
I try and wave but often don't on the motorway ..

I always acknowledge oncoming motorhomers, but it amuses me when people wave when driving on a motorway. If I'm in Lane 1 going in one direction and the other vehicle is in Lane 1 going the other way, we are probably 50-odd yards apart with a closing speed in excess of 100 miles per hour.
I prefer to concentrate on my driving.
Stef.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Once you live here then you get used to entering any establishment, shop,office, bar ,restaurant, mot station, etc; & saying " Hola, buenas dĂ­as/tardes/noche " to every one or no one.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
We have ben in west Yorkshire today ben very poor on the wave front think I missed the singe saying no waving past this point.:Eeek: :rofl:

Perhaps they didn't see you if you're "under the van"! :LOL:

Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed
Funster

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
now siting in new hill car park.
park for the weeman dog walk for the dog
bit of traffic noise but barbell and not a motor homer in site
bill

whoa

Free Member
May 2, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
It's been sold, no more
Exp
I'm a newbie
We have ben in west Yorkshire today ben very poor on the wave front think I missed the singe saying no waving past this point.:Eeek: :rofl:

This is serious, because whoa is me whoa is me for I am Undone, infamy infamy, you've all got it in for me:LOL:, got to agree with HappyBrewer, this morning in my guise of super hero blue van man we have travelled from our home in W. Yorkshire, into N. Yorkshire and the dales, where we are staying until Friday morning , so during the journey roughly 70 miles, I saw about 8 proper MH's and a about 5 PVC's. I wave frantically and madly, and not one acknowledgement did I get, and it goes to prove what I said, because as I looked at the oncoming MH, you could see the look on there faces as our van approached theirs, the look says its nowt to do with us lot van nowt to do with us, even though I waved, I had thought of getting some goofy decals, and going as goofmobile, but then remembered the recent sad story of the nun who had an accident, and cause she had some stickers with religious wording on , they were accessories she hadn't mentioned, at that time they declined to pay her out, whether that's change I don't know, but it just goes to show we are outcasts, is there a discount for outcasts, my wife will never be the same again (thankfully), and HappyBrewer, you misread the sign coming into Yorkshire, it says. Abandon all hope ye who enter here:reel::devil::giggler::LOL:, oh I hope HB you weren't one of those that passed because no one waved back

whoa

Free Member
May 2, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
It's been sold, no more
Exp
I'm a newbie
Once you live here then you get used to entering any establishment, shop,office, bar ,restaurant, mot station, etc; & saying " Hola, buenas dĂ­as/tardes/noche " to every one or no one.

Everyone I understand, if no one, are you feeling at all well, has the heat of the Spanish sun got to you, you really have me quite worried about your health...........anybody locally in Spain got a spare white coat with leather strappings, I think you might need it, :whistle::LOL: (y)

Jan 20, 2015
Fife
Funster No
MH
Bessacar 454
Exp
Since 2013
There was an article in the MMM sometime ago discussing waving , it listed types of waves , hierarchy etc . It was very funny and surprisingly true to life , personally I wave to all MHs .

whoa

Free Member
May 2, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
It's been sold, no more
Exp
I'm a newbie
Do you do the royals wave or the one that granma in the Beverly hillbillies did, or the winston Churchill salute the correct way round of course image.jpg oops not that one Sir, but this one image.jpg

:clap2::clap:

whoa

Free Member
May 2, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
It's been sold, no more
Exp
I'm a newbie
There was an article in the MMM sometime ago discussing waving , it listed types of waves , hierarchy etc . It was very funny and surprisingly true to life , personally I wave to all MHs .

I usually wave to the cabin crew of the MH, and still get nothing, perhaps I ought to try waving just at the motorhome could be a good idea:LOL:(y):rolleyes:a

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
No hierarchy we are aware of, but one thing that caught us out for a while,
Many motorhomes, even those on UK plates are LHD, including ours. So while I always try to wave I was not sure I had been seen. So now we both wave, passenger and driver, to be sure.
So next time you think that someone has not waved, glance over to see the near side just to check that the driver is not waving frantically.

Or maybe the oncomming occupants are just not into the spirit of the comaradarie of motorhoming

Yup,...........mine also; yes I wave, flash occasionally :whistle:, most times ignored, nearly always by Brit registered moho's...........

Seajay

Banned
Nov 2, 2014
Funster No
MH
C L Meridien
Exp
since 2000
I think my waving has something to do with which side of the bed I got out of !.....Well that's a saying my dear old Mum used to say, don't know if it's used by others though....and of course physically impossible in dear old Mr Smiley as I would end up on his bonnet!!.....how frightfully undignified at 10 am!

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Yes.
To prevent people blanking you; shout loud enough to penetrate their ear wax.
Many seem to go out of their way to avoid communication.
The drill for them is to park up, put up window blinds, let dog out for a crap, shut themselves back in again.
Weird!

Don't forget the windbreaks around their pitch. :ROFLMAO:

Jan 20, 2015
Fife
Funster No
MH
Bessacar 454
Exp
Since 2013
On a trip sometime ago traveling down to a cricket international ,my brother decided that it would be funny to wave in a very enthusiastic and over the top camp style .now that got a reaction.
He has not been allowed to sit up front since .

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
No hierarchy we are aware of, but one thing that caught us out for a while,
Many motorhomes, even those on UK plates are LHD, including ours. So while I always try to wave I was not sure I had been seen. So now we both wave, passenger and driver, to be sure.
So next time you think that someone has not waved, glance over to see the near side just to check that the driver is not waving frantically.

Or maybe the oncomming occupants are just not into the spirit of the comaradarie of motorhoming
Me too LHD

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
I

I did not realise that there was an etiquette "Thou shalt wave "being one of the commandments .
Me neither but if I get a wave I wave back, upbringing you see

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hello, my name is jaws and I am a waver / headlight flasher

It really is an addiction..
I wave at everyone.. If I miss a wave I feel really bad ( possibly withdrawal symptoms ? )

To make matters worse, not only do I have the motorhome, but I am a biker and drive a Smart car
All three groups are 'wavers'
So I often get muddled up and wave at the wrong vehicle for the vehicle I am in / on

If you are driving along and either a biker or a Smartie driver waves at you, just wave back. ( and feel pity !! LOL !! )

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
This is serious, because whoa is me whoa is me for I am Undone, infamy infamy, you've all got it in for me:LOL:, got to agree with HappyBrewer, this morning in my guise of super hero blue van man we have travelled from our home in W. Yorkshire, into N. Yorkshire and the dales, where we are staying until Friday morning , so during the journey roughly 70 miles, I saw about 8 proper MH's and a about 5 PVC's. I wave frantically and madly, and not one acknowledgement did I get, and it goes to prove what I said, because as I looked at the oncoming MH, you could see the look on there faces as our van approached theirs, the look says its nowt to do with us lot van nowt to do with us, even though I waved, I had thought of getting some goofy decals, and going as goofmobile, but then remembered the recent sad story of the nun who had an accident, and cause she had some stickers with religious wording on , they were accessories she hadn't mentioned, at that time they declined to pay her out, whether that's change I don't know, but it just goes to show we are outcasts, is there a discount for outcasts, my wife will never be the same again (thankfully), and HappyBrewer, you misread the sign coming into Yorkshire, it says. Abandon all hope ye who enter here:reel::devil::giggler::LOL:, oh I hope HB you weren't one of those that passed because no one waved back

I think I saw you once..maybe not. But there was this demented women in the passenger seat waving frantically with both arms? was that you? If it was you need to cool it as as all I was thinking was jeez is something wrong with our van....

Never got the waving thing to be honest or giving inanimate objects like vans names..has your as a name? Yes I guess some could call moi a grump..snob maybe...but I will never get it. I could be pressed to flick a wrist with a gentle single pass of the hand if I saw a fellow funstar stickered vehicle..but really that's as far as it would go:censored:

edit: OMGG....headlight flashers! now that downright dangerous...unless warning other that police speed trap further down in your direction (french motorists used to be real good as this)

"pity" don't get anywhere near what I feel for you:D

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I got blanked by someone this very morning.

That said I did inadvertently set off the van alarm at 6.45am and took ages to scramble round to find my keys.:D

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
We, 'nearly, always wave to other mh folks.
Though over the years we have noticed it's usually UK registered mh drivers/ passengers are the worst for not waving back.
Living in France we, as you would expect, drive a French registered van and I'm surprised how stand off'sh 'some' Brits can be. Many a time on an aire or campsite we have said hello or good morning or whatever to folks in Brit vans and it seems that because they assume we're 'johny foriegners' they completely blank us. Whereas, in the main, most johny foriengers tend to at least return a greeting.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back