Big Lad

Free Member
Mar 9, 2015
Tamworth
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 570E
Exp
Now, ive not been motorhoming long, but I understand the etiquette regarding the general waving when you see a fellow motorhomer coming the other way....

But...

I have to say, there are some miserable so & so's about.

When i go anywhere, I do tend to keep myself to myself, but will always say hello or good morning to others and have a natter if the chance arises with other motorhomers...

But I have encountered some this past couple of weeks some who
Totally blanked me when i said good morning, and some who dont bother waving... worst offenders seem to be those in new motorhomes for some reason (I know theyre probably a minority) is this a BMW vs ford mondeo syndrome maybe?

Now, I have checked and made sure I used my under arm deoderant so i dont think it was that.

To top it all, we had some woman at the storage compound i use look down her nose at us (she was towing a caravan so i dont think this counts) :)

maybe im reading too much into this but it seems some caravaners dont like motorhomers, and then theres a hierarchy within the motorhome community?

Anybody else encountered it?

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I always make a point of waving at oncoming motorhomes. The main exception to this is when on a motorway as I sometimes like to look where I'm going.

As you say, there are some miserable people about but I still always say hello if appropriate, they are the ones with a problem.

Paul

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
No hierarchy we are aware of, but one thing that caught us out for a while,
Many motorhomes, even those on UK plates are LHD, including ours. So while I always try to wave I was not sure I had been seen. So now we both wave, passenger and driver, to be sure.
So next time you think that someone has not waved, glance over to see the near side just to check that the driver is not waving frantically.

Or maybe the oncomming occupants are just not into the spirit of the comaradarie of motorhoming

Ethle the wondervan

Free Member
Mar 13, 2015
Peak District
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
One year
Yes.
To prevent people blanking you; shout loud enough to penetrate their ear wax.
Many seem to go out of their way to avoid communication.
The drill for them is to park up, put up window blinds, let dog out for a crap, shut themselves back in again.
Weird!

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
we always used to give the cool camper man v so sometimes it gets misinterpreted for something more offensive
so we reverted to waving.:Eeek:
we find the Hymar and RV owners the worst offenders for not waving back.
but in general 98% wave or flash there lights.
so keep waving and smiling ::bigsmile:
bill

Highwayman1

Free Member
May 9, 2013
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autohomes
Exp
Since 1980 on & off
It`s nice if they do wave but I don`t worry if they don`t. Lots going on in other peoples `space`. My old mum used to say to me that "Every house we pass have their own problems, some big and some small ".
Yep there are some miserable so & so`s about but I deal with them as they arise. Saying `Good morning ` to people who don`t reply is followed with a louder `Not good morning then`.
Holding open a door for some one who doesn`t acknowledge the fact is followed by `Don`t mention it`.
I try to instil in my boys the common courtesies that I was taught growing up and it has worked to a greater degree so far. We are all individuals and I take the view that most people have their own insecurities - `some big some small`. If you`ve been in the Armed Forces then you will know how different the NAAFI is to the Officers Mess haha

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Now, ive not been motorhoming long, but I understand the etiquette regarding the general waving when you see a fellow motorhomer coming the other way....

But...

I have to say, there are some miserable so & so's about.

When i go anywhere, I do tend to keep myself to myself, but will always say hello or good morning to others and have a natter if the chance arises with other motorhomers...

But I have encountered some this past couple of weeks some who
Totally blanked me when i said good morning, and some who dont bother waving... worst offenders seem to be those in new motorhomes for some reason (I know theyre probably a minority) is this a BMW vs ford mondeo syndrome maybe?

Now, I have checked and made sure I used my under arm deoderant so i dont think it was that.

To top it all, we had some woman at the storage compound i use look down her nose at us (she was towing a caravan so i dont think this counts) :)

maybe im reading too much into this but it seems some caravaners dont like motorhomers, and then theres a hierarchy within the motorhome community?

Anybody else encountered it?

I think that sometimes it depends where you are and when it is. We have the M4, M5 and the A303 around us. These roads get busy with traffic heading to or from the West Country so you can be passing one van after another during busy periods. I find most wave back on the smaller roads if nobody is travelling in a virtual convoy. If people don't wave back, no problem...not obligatory. Nice when they do though...:smiley:

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
People are weird and sometimes it takes an 'event' to get them to open up. We were caravanning up near Kiel years ago. Hubby would say Guten tag every day to this German guy....totally blanked....and then we survived a very wild and windy night. static homes were blown over or had roofs ripped off. Steve had tied the awning down inside with parachute cord in a series of cross cross lines. German guy was very impressed with English ingenuity and thereafter spoke, smiled and brought hubby the fish he caught!

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I think you are reading too much in to it. Wave if you want, but don't let it bother you if someone doesn't wave back, its no big deal. If you say good morning someone and they blank you, move on in the knowledge that you tried to be polite and friendly but on the end do you really give a s..t.

As for snobbishness, the same applies, if someone acts that way they are probably insecure and trying to boost their own idea of their own importance, do you really give a s..i.. No move on and forget it.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I like to say Hello to everybody I meet, and I wave for the first few miles, then sometimes I wish we had the queen travelling with us
wave.jpg

Him Indoors doesn't speak to anyone if he can help it (he's quite deaf & would worry about mishearing whatever was said back to him) and he NEVER waves - too busy concentrating on the road whether it's him driving or me! He certainly isn't into hierarchies or snobbery; so please don't take any of it personally.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
we always used to give the cool camper man v so sometimes it gets misinterpreted for something more offensive
so we reverted to waving.:Eeek:
we find the Hymar and RV owners the worst offenders for not waving back.
but in general 98% wave or flash there lights.
so keep waving and smiling ::bigsmile:
bill

Glad I have a Hymer then:D and I always wave except when I don't notice the other van :doh:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I once done the Gutentag bit to this guy in Belgium her responded with my mum lives round the corner from you I have a German register van because I live there not German.
I had seen a German registered car in the street Frome time to time his face was familiar but never put two and two together small world
bill

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
and he NEVER waves - too busy concentrating on the road whether it's him driving or me! [/QUOTE said:
Lol made me chuckle that:LOL:

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
You could write a book on MoHo waving styles though. I always give a wave and have seen waves in the form of almost Royal hand twists, one finger raises from the top of the steering wheel, to almost uncontrollable full both arm, body waves - both driver and passenger - like if we haven't seen them for years.:laughing:

I think it's a nice old gesture whatever the wave style, takes me back a little to my Dads car, they always used to wave to each other - t'was a Reliant super-van 21E.:blush:

Keep the spirit alive, I wave to anyone and everyone in a MoHo, camper and yes, have confused the odd one or two delivery lads.:doh:

Trikeman.:welc:

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I must confess that I find the waving business a bit tedious . At the moment here on the Mosel over the bank holiday I would have my arm out constantly since almost every other vehicle is a motorhome . I will happily greet anyone in the morning but all too often I will only get a grunt in reply . Not all that bothered really .

Seajay

Banned
Nov 2, 2014
Funster No
MH
C L Meridien
Exp
since 2000
Gets a bit wearisome waving at a virtual convoy of motorhomes so have mounted an artificial hand on top of a loosely coiled spring on the dashboard.....works wonderfully waving to all and sundry!

Jun 22, 2011
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
I recon that VW campers are a different breed. All others seem to wave back.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Out this afternoon & 2 I waved at nothing........ Mind you that's not unusual around here. So imagine my shock on my way back on an old hairpin bendy back road , never much traffic on , to find a French motorhome coming towards me waving ,smiling & flashing lights .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back