What is it with some cc wardens?!?!?!?! (1 Viewer)

pij974

Free Member
Mar 17, 2008
Wellingborough, Northants
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We have been booked into the Sandringham site for this bank holiday weekend months in advance, knowing how they get fully booked and then people cancel at the last minute. We left home (3 units) at 9.30 this morning knowing that the normal 2 hours would probably take more like 3 with the bank holiday traffic. We wanted to get in as close to 12 oclock as possible so we could get 3 pitches together, the traffic was no problem and we broke all records and got to the site at 11.35am. We were greeted by the warden who was frankly quite rude because we were 25 minutes early!!!! She told all 3 of us to turn round and vacate the site untill 12. I challenged the fact that we were only 25 minutes early and you can't perdict exactly what time you would arrive traffic permitting. She then raised her voice and said "GO!!! We have got to cut the grass and carry, out maintanence jobs" 90% of this site is hard standing and as i looked into the site i would say that 80% of the site was empy!!!!! so it wasnt even as if we had to wait for people to vacate!!!! 2 of us were towing cars so we only just managed to get round without unhitching. I asked if she could let us through the barrier so we could turn with no problems, she wouldnt even do that!!!!! So the dilema then was, were do 3 units go for 25 minutes??? It was an absolute joke.:Angry: We found somewhere to park (The gates of Sandringham House) and made a phone call to the club with a complaint. They were very helpful and stated that we should have been let in, especially if there were vacant pitches.
On a plus point we were at Abbey Wood cc site in london last weekend and we arrived at 11.15!!!!!!!! there was no problem what so ever, they couldn't have been more helpfull, why cant they all be like that????:thumb:

peter H

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2008
Neath, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Nearly 4 years
There was a thread on here a few days ago about complaining to the CEO of a company when things go wrong and can't get fixed.

Write to The Queen and complain.

You never know.

Peter

PS I'm perfectly serious.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Some of the wardens are right little Hitler's, it seems to depend on the sites.

Sandringham site they no doubt think they are royalty and should be treated as such, more than their jobs worth not to apply the rules to the letter.

I think that common sense is removed from certain individuals who get the flag ship sites, while normal sites get nearer human-beings sometimes.

Don't let them spoil you holiday, if you can find anything wrong give them hell.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
One of my pet hates is CC wardens who 'have a set of rules' and seem totally incapable of thinking outside the box. Having said that some are fantastic but some just do not seem able to cope under stress. Even worse is the attitude of the 'management ' who usually seem to have their heads stuck in a smelly and dark place thinking that all their wardens are that good they have wings and halo's. In the current climate there are more people wanting pitches than they can cope with one day they will find the tables turned an it will be too late.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
We had that at Sandringham too..

Found them most unobliging.....

This "warden" wasn't walking some Corgis was she? allegedly...Maam:ROFLMAO:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Just one of the reasons the cc get no more of my money every year

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
with the ccc if you arrive before 12 noon and go to pay the computer will charge you more for your site for the first day .there is a waiting area on all ccc club sites
as for the 12noon rule you no the rules don't arrive before 12 then you don't get all wound up being told to go away .

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
We have one of these on our static site. We call him Slinky ( you know what a Slinky is?) Cos he is no bloody good for owt but it gives you a smile when you push him down the stairs. :whatthe::whatthe::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Some of the wardens are right little Hitler's, it seems to depend on the sites.

Sandringham site they no doubt think they are royalty and should be treated as such, more than their jobs worth not to apply the rules to the letter.

I think that common sense is removed from certain individuals who get the flag ship sites, while normal sites get nearer human-beings sometimes.

Don't let them spoil you holiday, if you can find anything wrong give them hell.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Don't you think that some of the wardens are at the end of their tether having dealt with the 10% or so of the pig ignorant campers who go around treating everyone like dog crap, get abusive at the slightest provocation and believe that all rules are totally unnecessary and simple designed to spoil their enjoyment.

Having worked on campsites i can assure you that a small proportion of campers really are like that.

The shame is that some people (wardens) then let their unhappiness spill over onto those campers who do not deserve it. But I am sure that we all have been guilty of that a some time or another.

The trouble with rules is that if you start making exceptions where do you stop? Soone everyone wants to be an exception. A 12 oclock rule is for 12 oclock not 11 oclock otherwise it's not a 12 oclock rule is it?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Don't let the buggers get you down mate.. vote with your wheels.. it is well known that some CC wardens are less than friendly to motorhomers ..

There is only one good reason to join and that's the privately run Cls .. and many of them couldn't give two hoots whether you are a member or not.

In my experience the CC sites are over priced , over regulated and ruled over by little Hitlers

Try going to a site with a large RV ... boy , that don't half get them going , before you even get in they are giving a lecture about running over grass , not overhanging the grass in case you kill it ... and about dumping ten ton of crap in their precious elsan point.. and playing ball games... and that is no exaggeration ..

Yes, there are bad campers but it gives them NO excuse for then being rude..

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Easy way to stop it happening is to turn up at 12 or later. Or you could have called them to say you might be a bit early would it be ok to get in.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Easy way to stop it happening is to turn up at 12 or later. Or you could have called them to say you might be a bit early would it be ok to get in.

that would only spoil the warders day .. well, at least temporarily until they found another miscreant to have a go at

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
what makes it worse is the cc keep buying up sites soon they will be able to tell everyone that most of the countries sites are full up in Feb for the rest of the year I wonder what the percentage of no shows is at busy times?

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
awkward wardens

This has nothing to do with the Caravan Club or the rule that says turn up after 12.
It`s the person involved, read the first mail and you find that there was room for them to pull off the road and wait out the clock, instead this particular warden was an idiot, making life difficult and creating a problem for these people by making them leave the site for 25 minutes.

Yes the rule is 12 O`clock but bloody hell were is the flexiblilty, were is the sense of reason and it would make life so much more easy for everyone solution.
If it had been me I would have turned around and not gone back, why would you want to spend your quality time with such selfish and jobs worth single minded prats.

Well done for complaining

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
we have been at the other end of the stick with a site booking, date given for arrival but no time given, turned up around 5pm to find pitch had been given away to someone else - cos they thought we wouldnt show had confirmed booking earlier in week- arrival was supposed to be allowed anytime up to 8pm.

no one can possibly give an actual time only an approximate time for arriving as no on can predict the road conditions - be it weather, accident or roadwork based from one place to another, so invariably when you plan you allow it to take longer than you think and on a good run you end up being there early.
So i cannot agree with anyone who displays bad attitude to someone who arrives a bit earlier than they expected

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
This post is not meant at criticism of OP but just to highlight the frustrations of dealing with public.

While I would never defend rudeness and ignorance what many people forget is that you only have to worry about yourselves while the warden has up to hundreds to worry about.

In the highlighted instance there was surely room to compromise but it must be extremely frustrating when you make a rule to make the site run smoothly and people don't abide with it. It only happens here on a tiny scale but still maddening when it does.

A recent stayer on our CL was a retired New Forest warden. His site had over a thousand pitches with several thousand people staying over any weekend during the summer :Eeek: He said that 99% of people were great and never caused any problem but there was always the 1% :shout:....With the numbers they were dealing with it meant there was never a weekend that they didn't have hassle with somebody.

But again I agree with OP....there are ways of dealing with people and this warden, by playing Hitler, got it wrong. Result.....3 angry customers.

In all my dealings with people in hotels, B&B and CL I have found that after a long journey the best way to greet anyone is with a :Smile: and :welcome:.........no matter how hard !!!

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting

Just one of the reasons the cc get no more of my money every year

That is the reason I did not rebiew my membership with the CC this year.. it is bad enough with the CCC - I just about put up with them.. one is enough. Wardens think they are little gods and forget we pay there wages.

Bob

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
You want A TYRANT,want to be talked down to? Want a leaf blower running for three hours? Want signs signs signs? Try Minehead! (My experience last year, hopefully they've moved on!)

Want Paradise? Try Hillhead!

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
We stayed at Hurn Lane CC last year, and that was really nice, staff were really good!

That said, we are seriously reconsidering cancelling membership this year as they really are getting very over-priced. We looked at getting away a few weeks ago for ten days, and I accept it was peak season - but some of the sites were £36/night cheapest! Most expensive was £46/night, for two and a dog!

There seem to be less and less cheaper sites available, and I think if you are paying that sort of money - you should be treated professionally and curteously. I accept people have their 'off' days, and that some get stressed during busy times - they are not experienced business people after all. They are just manning sites seasonally! Some are better than others. But nonetheless, you should remain pleasent, even if there are the odd 'trying' camper!

After tonights' CCC site at £8 on a bank holiday - i may sign up with them next year!:thumb:

franbee

Free Member
Aug 23, 2010
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
VW T5
Exp
Getting the hang of it now
I always say about any organisation, shops or whatever, each place is only as good as the people who work there.

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Personally I wouldnt be seen dead on a CC campsite (or pretty much any campsite for that matter) but if you really want to stay on one there have been soooooo many posts about the grumpy wardens and the 12 oclock rule. Why didnt you just call ahead. Everyone knows they are little hitlers and jobsworths so why did you expect anything less?

Doesnt sound like my idea of fun but there you go.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
cc wardens

hi there to everyone,i have to say that after reading all the posts in this thread that we have used the Caravan Cub sites regularly for the past 10yrs,in caravans,motorhomes and now a 34ft american RV and we have never encountered a problem with their wardens.we have just got back from their Troutbeck Head site where the wardens were extremely helpful in siting our RV,beautiful site ,very clean facilities:thumb:i know they are a little more expensive than some sites but hey you get what you pay for.we run a very busy tyre retail outlet and trust me dealing with the public head on is a very difficult job:whatthe:so from us its 10/10 to the Caravan Club for their sites and the wardens:thumb:regards brian jo & josh:Cool:

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
I have never yet been inside the toilet and shower block on a CC site because although we have stayed on a number, whenever I have thought - Oh, I may as well use theirs - it turns out theirs has been shut for cleaning!

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
hi there to everyone,i have to say that after reading all the posts in this thread that we have used the Caravan Cub sites regularly for the past 10yrs,in caravans,motorhomes and now a 34ft american RV and we have never encountered a problem with their wardens.we have just got back from their Troutbeck Head site where the wardens were extremely helpful in siting our RV,beautiful site ,very clean facilities:thumb:i know they are a little more expensive than some sites but hey you get what you pay for.we run a very busy tyre retail outlet and trust me dealing with the public head on is a very difficult job:whatthe:so from us its 10/10 to the Caravan Club for their sites and the wardens:thumb:regards brian jo & josh:Cool:

Same for me, never had a problem, maybe because no matter what I keep my cool and keep smiling. ever so humble me, yes sir, park here I will sir, no problem sir, won't run over the grass sir, Wears em down in the end. ::bigsmile:

olley

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
:Eeek:
maybe because no matter what I keep my cool and keep smiling. ever so humble me, yes sir, park here I will sir, no problem sir, won't run over the grass sir, Wears em down in the end. ::bigsmile:

olley

Brian / Olley - It takes a fair bit to get me going so like you I always keep my cool - when I am booking I ALWAY state that I have a 5'er towed by a Land Rover and so as to avoid confrontation when we arrive on site I always take the name of the person I am talking to as well. Last time we booked on a CC site the warden asked for my membership number looked me up on screen and asked if it was the Burstner or the Eurolite 5'er - Told him it was the Eurolite as we no longer had the Burstner - had a laugh with him reminded him it was a 5'er towed by a Land Rover to be told no problem see you Tuesday - Tuesday came we arrived within 10 minutes of the advised time of 5pm some 200 plus miles from last pitch - pulled up at the barrier to be told 'You did not tell me it was a fifth wheel' can't take that here it too big too tall and weighs too much it will destroy our grass :Eeek:
well I was not happy but smilled sweetly asked him what his name was and very politely told him we had discussed this on the phone and recalled the converstation with him and also pointed out that many of the motorhomes on site were much heavier than my 5'er and than at 27ft many caravans exceeded that size - after much lip biting he said ' well seeing as I said so I had better find a pitch' at which point we went around the site to see at least 10 pitches more than capable of taking us - I agree the site was wet but I parked and a couple of days later moved off without marking his precious grass - the daftest thing though we were all set up and watched the warden and his assistant go to a motor home that was stuck in and they hooked the mini tractor on to it and with the tractor tyres spinning and the motorhome tyres spinning wildly they painted some wonderfull black marks on the pitch and probably had to take it out of service for a month or so.

They would have quite happily left me with nowhere to park if they had their way - I am not in the business of annoying wardens and would rather walk away than have a confrontation with them but they do set themselves up on a regular basis

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Once or twice we've been in danger of arriving at our destination too early so have pulled into a lay-by or services for a while to have a coffee so as to take up the time.

I've never had a serious problem with a warden but I was a bit miffed a few years ago when we had a few days at Southport, starting on a Sunday. We arrived after 12 noon and pitched with no problem. We did remark that it would have been nice to be a bit closer to the toilet block but other people already had those pitches so not a problem. A few hours later, though, we found that several of the pitches had been vacated.

Obviously there were people who had been allowed to stay past the 12 noon deadline for their departure on the grounds that there were sufficient pitches for all the bookings. I expect that if they had been told they had to be off by noon there would have been forum posts denouncing the wardens. The overall result, though, was that bending the rules to the convenience of some caused inconvenience (albeit not serious enough to become upset about) for others.

As others have said, there is never any call for rudeness but the rules are there to try to ensure fairness for all. As Oldun points out, once you start making exceptions where do you stop?

Graham

Cupcake

Free Member
Apr 13, 2010
Norfolk Broads
Funster No
Exp
since July 2009
Once or twice we've been in danger of arriving at our destination too early so have pulled into a lay-by or services for a while to have a coffee so as to take up the time.

This is what we always do if we are likely to arrive before the advised time. We pull into a layby & put the kettle on and wait. We have never failed to find somewhere to park up. You wouldn't be let into many hotel/travel lodge type accomodation before the time they say (or you may be told you can have the room early if you pay more).
We have had no problems with cc wardens some may be more rule bound than others but you don't know what the consequences for them maybe if they allow 'rule breaking' by members. We often use the cc site at Cromer Incleborough Hill which has a very narrow access road and the number of times we've been leaving and had to try and pass a unit coming in before 12 is quite astonishing. This weekend we've been at cc site at Mildenhall Round Plantation which is run by very friendly volunteer wardens, it's a basic no toilet block site but at £9 inc electric hook up is I feel good value.

Deborah

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back