What is it with merging traffic? (1 Viewer)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
In reply to the question. "Does the Exhaust brake / retarder trigger the Brake lights." The evidence would be that "it depends" (On) the maker of the device and the truck / coach builder?. Some do, most don`t, Some US R-V`s have them (retard systems) and not all have the retard system trigger the brake lights.

The access lane is generally referred to as a slip road/lane, and is there to encourage speed matching prior to entering the main traffic stream, BUT the onus safety wise is the responsibility of the driver of the joining vehicle.

In this circumstance the joining driver is guilty of dangerous driving :- Heavy traffic, NO chance to move over to allow the joining driver in, yet the "asshole" will still TRY. Causing the driver of vehicle in the (ns) lane to brake / take other "avoiding action".

IF I observe the potential for this, I do several things, 1) back off the gas!, 2) hit the air horns (that usually wakes them up!!). 3) if they continue, start braking. That is what I call "self preservation".

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Well no but he should have been at least off the throttle and braking BEFORE he slams into the back of it. He never evens slows down.

I think the lorry driver lifts off the throttle.

The approach speed of the car from the slip gives the impression the driver is going to stop.
No way is it going fast enough to join a dual carriageway.

Also as I posted before, if he hit the brakes hard a possibility of a Jack knife?

Happy to be corrected obviously.

The Flute

Free Member
Nov 18, 2017
Funster No
MH
Dethfleffs
I think the lorry driver lifts off the throttle.

The approach speed of the car from the slip gives the impression the driver is going to stop.
No way is it going fast enough to join a dual carriageway.

Also as I posted before, if he hit the brakes hard a possibility of a Jack knife?

Happy to be corrected obviously.
If you look at the speed it fluctuates at 55 to 57 when you see the vehicle at the end of the slip road its at 55 but goes up to 56 as if he's still on cruise. Im not saying slam the brakes on bit at least be off throttle and a little brake.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Well no but he should have been at least off the throttle and braking BEFORE he slams into the back of it. He never evens slows down.
He did
If you look at the speed it fluctuates at 55 to 57 when you see the vehicle at the end of the slip road its at 55 but goes up to 56 as if he's still on cruise. Im not saying slam the brakes on bit at least be off throttle and a little brake.
He hit him at between 43 & 49 mph. I've always found that drivers of those Hyundai Santa fe's very peculiar.Alwya likely to do something like that. Nearly as bad as the ssanyong Musso ones.

The Flute

Free Member
Nov 18, 2017
Funster No
MH
Dethfleffs
He did

He hit him at between 43 & 49 mph. I've always found that drivers of those Hyundai Santa fe's very peculiar.Alwya likely to do something like that. Nearly as bad as the ssanyong Musso ones.
So Why does he speed go from 55 to 56 just before the end of the slip road about 1 sec before the impact. If he'd have got off the throttle and a bit of braking as soon as he saw the car impact speed could have been at least 10mph less.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
This merging behaviour has always amazed me, there seem to be a lot of drivers who think that as they have an indicator on, then there's a magic halo around their car!! & they feel that they have a perfect right to shove in.

Where was that One?.

Ah , you may be right , few years ago.
NZ does not have many duel carrigeways for sure.
Still the idea of merging like a zip from 2 lanes down to 1 does keep traffic moving . Unlike or habits of closing up , or overtaking a stationary queue and forcing a way in at the last yard , which stops the queue resulting in more overtaking.
Saw a lorry driving very slowly in the outside lane of a merging lane on a motorway . Figured out it was stopping the overtaker and thereby keeping the front of the queue moving, so the whole queue kept moving. Cars behind were glowing in red hot though!

We used to do this often, when I was on Agency. The "rolling roadblock" actually speeds up the overall traffic flow!. Car drivers dont like it, but few will argue with 2 LGV`s. Did it a few years back on the A9, the cars where doing the usual, down the outside and force their way in so everybody else was literally going backwards. Pulled alongside a Tesco wagon in the R-V, and just stayed there!. When we got to the "nip" he waved me in and closed the door on the rest of the Selfish Prats!.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back