WHAT IS IN A NAME ?? (1 Viewer)

Aug 14, 2021
Stoke-on-Trent, UK
Funster No
MH
Merc Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Please bare in mind that we (I) are brand NEW to all of this MH business and are currently converting a Mercedes Sprinter LWB, Hi Roof..

Well we (I) have read on many other places and seen on here that many owners of MH & Caravans actually name their rolling home and I was wondering how many different names there are out there, then I thought where or how do owners come up with the names they give to their MH / Caravan.

It would be nice if this post / thread or request got spread around this site and to see how many members come back to tell me the names they have given to their MH / Caravan and why, please help me in this quest.

PS. I have not even thought of a name for my Sprinter Van - The wife says it should be called "ETERNITY" as it is taking me 4EVA to complete.. LOL:unsure:

Thanks and would appreciate your replies..

Steve n Sonia

Solution
Ours is ‘Bella in short for Arabella as she is an Arabella model of 2001 vintage and was imported and the model named as such by the then , and only , importers to the UK , Don Amott’s.
The name originates apparently from the eldest Grandaughter of Don Amott’s who was called Arabella!
So now you know. 😊
Thank you for replying Captain..
That is a very good reason and a very good namesake.. yeah I like the reasoning behind that..

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Even though I'm very obsessed with snoopy...called our mh...zebedee, loved the magic roundabout as a child, I loved dougal,...but zebedee sounds better, has his own cup, key ring, even his own wee decal :roflmto:
'Time for bed,' said Florence

'Boing,' said Zebedee [according to Jasper Carrot, IIRC] :LOL:

Steve

Upvote 0

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
Even though I'm very obsessed with snoopy...called our mh...zebedee, loved the magic roundabout as a child, I loved dougal,...but zebedee sounds better, has his own cup, key ring, even his own wee decal :roflmto:
What you've got a picture of a spring have a wee thats just plain weird🤣

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
First Moho was a Marquis Majestic called "Madge". Latest A Class is called "Carty". Not very imaginative but have lacked inspiration. Further suggestions may be submitted on a postcard.

Upvote 0

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Ours is THE BEAST, because it is a bit of a one :RollEyes:
van.png

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
We considered calling ours Molli because she looks like a mobile library.

Instead we settled on calling her "WoMo" (pronounced Voh-Mo), a shortened version of "Wohnmobil" meaning motorhome in German, as that's where she's from.

Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2020
God's Own County
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H592
Exp
Since 2018
The better half calls ours Moonbeam cos it a Lunar....I know ...I know :rolleyes:

I just call it the van or worse if she's not behaving

Always think of cars and vans etc as female though :roflmto:

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
My son named mine as “extreme mumma wagon” but I call her Tilly 😂

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2018
East Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1995 + 20Yrs a 'Tugger' first.
Some years ago our daughter remarked that I spent so much time tweaking and playing in our van and she felt I worshiped it. “It’s like driving around in a Temple“. Each subsequent ‘van has enjoyed that title.

Upvote 0

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
When talking about our van, whilst waiting for delivery, we started referring to it as ‘The Van’. This progressed to ‘The Virtual Van’ as we’d only ever seen it on the internet, shortened to ‘VV’ and finally ended up with ‘Vee Vee’.

0140DC06-B507-45C8-8F4C-2CF22BE70931.jpeg

Upvote 0
May 23, 2021
Beds.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Harmony
Exp
Since 2021...
Ours is Gypsy based on his number plate containing the letters GPY - and because it fits a travelling home. If he's misbehaving, he becomes Guppy. Bit like when parents call children by their full names - a sure sign they're in trouble!!!

Upvote 0
Aug 12, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Accordo 120
Exp
Sept 2019
ShaunMcSheep......well, it lives in Scotland and can generally be seen in a field with other white object d'art

Upvote 0
OP
OP
STEVE4SONN
Aug 14, 2021
Stoke-on-Trent, UK
Funster No
MH
Merc Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a Newbie
We are. In the process of changing ours, our Auto-trail Dakota we called The Beast, due to its size. However change has been forced on us to downsize to something Mrs Norfolk would be confident driving and to an automatic gear box to make life easier for me. On July 1st I was hospitalised with Guillain Barre Syndrome (GBS). A rare neurological condition where the autoimmune system attacks the peripheral nervous system causing weakness, loss of use and paralysis. It is treatable, however mine was rediagnosed as CIPD (Chronic Inflammatory Demylenating Polyneuropathy) This again is treatable but will require ongoing treatment. I am still in hospital, hoping to be home in a couple of months. In the meantime we are having our new van delivered this month by SMC in Newark. It’s a PVC, Autosleeper Kingham. We have called it Warrior after the GBS support logo, as it was this illness which made us choose it.
That is such a sad story, I do hope that you are soon well and all returns to as much normal as possible. Love the name "Warrior" as not only the logo but shows the fighting spirit that you & Mrs. Norfolk must have gained over the last few years.
All the best
Steve n Sonn

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
Ruby - it was paid for with the money we didn't spend in 2020 on an epic big-cat Safari to mark our 40th anniversary.

Upvote 0

Norfolk Nige

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 4, 2021
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Wiensberg
Exp
Caravanning since 1980, saw the light in 2020
That is such a sad story, I do hope that you are soon well and all returns to as much normal as possible. Love the name "Warrior" as not only the logo but shows the fighting spirit that you & Mrs. Norfolk must have gained over the last few years.
All the best
Steve n Sonn
Thanks STEVE4SONN . It’s been an interesting few months, but things are getting better. At least I know I will get my mobility back, there are plenty who don’t, so I count myself amongst the lucky ones. Back on the road next year😀

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back