What is happening to battery and electrics? (1 Viewer)

Nov 9, 2015
North Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MC-I B 580
Exp
Since 2005
Just went to start van (Concorde Credo on Iveco 3.0) not been on hook up for less than 5 days - starter battery flat, dead even. Van is just over 2 years old and had its second service at the end of November.
Luckily at home so put it back on hook up so on board charger would top up though hab batteries are all ok. Then went back to control panel (CBE PC380-SK) and that is now unresponsive with display just showing illuminated numerals 1121. That seems to suggest there is power there so not a blown fuse I think.

So is there a reset system, button etc. Have looked in CBE booklet but that reveals nothing.

Finally, does anyone know of a good roadside battery replacement service? Not going to be easy job to pull battery out as it is well buried. Why do they do that.

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Halfords will fit - did ours for £5 a couple of years ago if you can get there?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Holding in the power button should switch the panel off and then same again to switch it on to see if it resets.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
since 1997 (many years tugger before then)
I bought an engine battery from a local autospares then decided to ring my breakdown people (Britannia Rescue) and get them to fit it while the van was still up my drive..they didn't have any issues with my request.
Allen

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I have had to reset my electrics a few times, just by switching off the mains controller (Reich in our case) count to 10 and back on, has cured some odd things similar to how you describe

No idea why but original owner told me he had to do it occasionally seems he was right, cheaper than a repair I guess :)(y)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I would advise against replacing the cab battery until you establish what has gone wrong.
if you always do what you've always done you will always get what you've always got.

OP
OP
G
Nov 9, 2015
North Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MC-I B 580
Exp
Since 2005
So I tried DavidG58's suggestion and turned everything off, mains, battery, mastervolt combis etc. And success the CBE panel reset and I am now able to see what is going on. The engine battery is getting a healthy charge from the Mastervolt and hopefully it will put enough in for me to start the van tomorrow and take to it to the Iveco dealer to look at the battery.

Thanks for helpful replies and no leg pulling.
Eric

OP
OP
G
Nov 9, 2015
North Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MC-I B 580
Exp
Since 2005
Well the problems persist. Left motorhome on hook up until this morning and when I went to look at the panel it was showing a healthy charge. So disconnected and tried to start it and my mobile then started to ring. It was the Van Bitz non-starter telling me the system had been armed. So went through process of dis-arming that and checking. Felt certain I was now getting closer to being able to start but no joy. Dashboard display told me to check battery voltage but that looked ok still.
First tried Iveco assistance but they said I was not covered. So now in the hands of LV Britannia Rescue and just waiting for someone from Ravenscroft Motors to arrive.
Fingers crossed they can sort it out.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
When our engine battery failed I checked with the insurance and a nice man from the AA arrived within the hour. He confirmed the battery was buggered and fortunately for me he had half a dozen new batteries on his van. One was a slightly higher Ah rating than the original Mercedes Varta and also a tad physically smaller. Engine fired up first try on new batt and AA man confirmed alternator charging ok. £152 and all I did was turn the key. Brilliant service imo.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Can't understand what happens to some folks batterys on here , dead in two years why, I have tractors here that have batterys on so old I can't remember when I put them on yet they still work, I have had my second hand ford ranger 5 years and still running on the same battery it came with, had the motor home a similar length of time and that's still running on the batterys it came with although must admit that does have 200w of solar pumping all the time.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Can't understand what happens to some folks batterys on here , dead in two years why.

Because the unconverted cab had been stood for months letting the battery go flat before it was sold

OP
OP
G
Nov 9, 2015
North Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MC-I B 580
Exp
Since 2005
First let me say I have treated the batteries with great respect and have rarely been away from hook up - I do not wild camp. Also I have about 200w of solar, I know in winter there is not much put in by that. So I agree with @jezport you cannot know what happened before you bought it!

However, breakdown turned up quickly and gave me a jump start. Was then told just drive it around for a while and you will be ok. No checks, 2 year old battery will be fine sir. Well I do not believe that. Booked into Iveco dealer for a check up. Still bet the battery is dead!

Apr 30, 2012
Southampton, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Exec
Exp
Since 2012
@grumfy sorry to read of the battery problem. What was the result of your trip to Iveco, was the battery a dud or did they discover some other fault.

OP
OP
G
Nov 9, 2015
North Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MC-I B 580
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks, the Iveco dealers were not much help as they were too busy to fit me in at short notice. So I tried a local commercial vehicle garage who got as far as telling me that the battery seemed ok but wouldn't delve deeper as the motorhome systems were too complex.
The weather has been so awful I have not bothered to get out and look myself but have kept the hook up on and bought a jump start battery set just in case.
I will have to take into Southdowns sooner or later.

Apr 30, 2012
Southampton, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Exec
Exp
Since 2012
If your control panel works, try pressing the battery button, it will display the current voltage and the amperage being drawn. If you do this with everything (except the panel) off there should be nothing drawing power, if you see 5a DC (or something above 1) being drawn something is draining the battery. Very sorry if I'm teaching Granny to suck eggs, just trying to help (y)

OP
OP
G
Nov 9, 2015
North Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MC-I B 580
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for your guidance, any help gratefully accepted. The control panel is working now and it shows a small 0.5A drain and the battery voltage looks good but I do have solar panels so even if I switch off the hook up there is still a charge voltage present as the system trickle charges the starter battery. So as I said I need to spend some time disconnecting things and trying to track down the problem. The key issue is the starter battery is virtually unreachable being located sideways with a very small access hatch. The only way to get to the positive terminal is from underneath the van. If it were easy to replace I would have bought a new battery because I am still convinced it is on the way out.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the all singing, dancing security system eats power when the van is parked and another couple of parasitic drains will soon flatten a battery. let it do that a couple of times or leave it dead and it will ruin even a new battery

Apr 30, 2012
Southampton, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Exec
Exp
Since 2012
If the battery is that difficult to get to I wonder if the independent garage thought it worth the trouble to properly test it. My Credo is Fiat based so I'm sure it differs, although its all Fiat really. good luck with your investigations, and please let us know how you get on. :Ta2:

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Engine fired up first try on new batt and AA man confirmed alternator charging ok. £152 and all I did was turn the key. Brilliant service imo.

Even if he had replaced it with a genuine Varta battery I think he probably over charged you £100 for that battery - Brilliant service and such a nice man?

hdj42

Free Member
Aug 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
A year late but I thought I would add my thoughts on this, although not a Concorde my Burstner 747 had similiar problems just as it came out of warrenty.

I think someone here mention theirs was a Reich Box which is the same as fitted in the Burstner.

Anyway, they wanted over a £1000 to replace the Reich box but I decided to buy a Sterling Marine 4 stage Invester/Charger while still using the 12v fuse bank on the Reich.

Now 3 years in and both engine and Leisure batteries doing well and the overall performance is brillaint.

I had to mount the unitin the off side locker and throw some heavy duty connections through to the near side locker where all the electrics are connected.

I don't rate the Reich stuff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back