What is causing my wall panel corner strips to warp and swell? (1 Viewer)

Mar 23, 2017
Chudleigh, Devon
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 2
Exp
Im a newbie
Compass Avantgarde 200 on Ducato SWB 2002 reg

Hi, I wonder if anyone has had a similar problem or can shed any light on this.

Attached are several photos showing the bottom of the join/corner strips where they meet the carpet. They are swollen and warped. This is the outside of the toilet/shower and next to the wardrobe.

As well as a photo of the interior of the WC/Shower which shows a possible gap between plastic floor and wall panel.

I suspect/fear that the cause will be water/damp from somewhere, but before I start taking things apart has anyone else had a similar problem and what was the cause and solution?

relevant info;

1. First noticed this week when using the van.
2. van last used November, didn't notice it then.
3. been in van several times between Nov and now and didn't notice it.
4. van bought April 2017 - no damp issues then.
5. used the shower twice in August, not before or since
6. carpet doesn't feel/smell damp

my initial thoughts are that it might be caused by water/damp from the toilet/shower coming through at the bottom of the panel. But if it is shower related why nearly 6 months to notice it? Or maybe the shower drain is leaking into the floor boards? But no other signs of damp anywhere.

Anyone got any ideas?

long shot showing  external board and joins.jpg close up of corner join behind drivers seat.jpg close up of right hand join ar return between toilet and wardrobe.jpg close up of joining strip between toilet door and right hand panel.jpg Inside shower looking down - opposite side to damaged board and joins.jpg Inside shower looking down - opposite side to damaged board and joins 2.jpg
Thanks

Brendan

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
First thing I would check is drainage from shower. If all joints intact consider possible blockage in drainage pipes, they are small bore and soap residue can soon build up and block. This will eliminate the cheaper to resolve problems.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Looks like a damp/leaking issue to me. If still under warranty get it in to your dealer asap.

2002 reg Phil - do please read the post :eek:
He only bought it April 2017 so if from a dealer could possibly have a warranty.

We have a drop down Thetford sink in ours. It has the tiniest bore drain hole at the back and if unattended will overflow and leak shows itself outside the washroom door.
I would definitely look at the shower base sealing as well.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Rake out the blackened sealant along the bottom of the wall and reseal.
You'll probably find it isn't stuck to one of the surfaces.
Its obviously coming from there and the corner strips are nothing more than a compressed cardboard moulding with a veneer and will easily absorb any water/moisture causing them to swell.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
It appears to have swollen from damp. My first action would be to try and find the cause, and then work on the effect. I think it’s most likely to have come from the bathroom, at some stage. The floor may have had a good drenching some time before you took ownership as I don’t suppose such swelling would be instant. I’d check for more signs, and look to see if they are less pronounced as you move away from the source. If the cause is not obvious, the only remedy maybe the “crossed-finger method”.

Unless the swollen parts can be removed, I’d try to see if they’d absorb some kind of hardener or sealer, to deter further absorption and then seal around them. I doubt this is due to water ingress (unless it’s below a skylight) so I’m not surprised that a damp check didn’t find anything; they focus more on roof joins and corners.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
It could still be under warranty , as it all depends on what warranty the dealer gave them ...( if indeed it was at all bought from a dealer ) as it could of been a private purchase.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Compass Avantgarde 200 on Ducato SWB 2002 reg

Hi, I wonder if anyone has had a similar problem or can shed any light on this.

Attached are several photos showing the bottom of the join/corner strips where they meet the carpet. They are swollen and warped. This is the outside of the toilet/shower and next to the wardrobe.

As well as a photo of the interior of the WC/Shower which shows a possible gap between plastic floor and wall panel.

I suspect/fear that the cause will be water/damp from somewhere, but before I start taking things apart has anyone else had a similar problem and what was the cause and solution?

relevant info;

1. First noticed this week when using the van.
2. van last used November, didn't notice it then.
3. been in van several times between Nov and now and didn't notice it.
4. van bought April 2017 - no damp issues then.
5. used the shower twice in August, not before or since
6. carpet doesn't feel/smell damp

my initial thoughts are that it might be caused by water/damp from the toilet/shower coming through at the bottom of the panel. But if it is shower related why nearly 6 months to notice it? Or maybe the shower drain is leaking into the floor boards? But no other signs of damp anywhere.

Anyone got any ideas?

View attachment 213351 View attachment 213352 View attachment 213353 View attachment 213354 View attachment 213355 View attachment 213356
Thanks

Brendan
We have the avantgarde 150, don't know if it's the same but our water tank and pump and drain and stuff are under the panel in the wardrobe , don't know if you have looked in there but could well be a leak in there.

OP
OP
Brendan Stone
Mar 23, 2017
Chudleigh, Devon
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 2
Exp
Im a newbie
Thanks for all your replies. I bit the bullet and pulled away the trim strips to find some damp on the bottom edges of the plywood boards. But thankfully no damp under the carpet. Surprisingly there is a small gap between the wall boards and the floor.

20180216_161628.jpg 20180216_161553.jpg
I'm now wondering whether to remove the whole wall panel in order to see/check under the shower floor. But the wall panels seem to be a bit of a jigsaw so not sure how much paneling I'd need to take out.

So next to dry it out and see if it needs any treatment then replace the trim.

Can anyone point me in the direction of of a supplier of MDF panels and trims for a 51 plate Compass??

thanks

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Do not discount an over zealous carpet shampoo/valet at the dealer prior to you purchase
often takes a month or two to appear as damage caused by damp
just because you didn't notice it doesn't mean it wasn't there prior
to you spotting it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Looking at your photos the 2 trims seem to have absorbed the damp as they touch the floor where water would sit, the fact that the wallboard is away from the floor is actually it's saving grace as it hasn't been affected, I suspect that water has got into the horizontal seal inside the washroom and then ran to the ends where it has sat and 'crept' down and eventually got taken up by the 2 trims. If it was a leak from the shower etc I'd expect there to be a lot more damage/damp in other places, just let it all dry out and then once totally dry seal the washroom horizontal gap and any other bits too for good measure but leave the trims off, then once totally set try spraying water on and see if any comes through - if you can do it with the van on a slight lean to the side where the trim is any water would then run that way, if you do the spraying gradually in different areas and check each time you should be able to see if there is a leak which is the likely cause.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Looks to me like it must have been damp for a while to rot the end of the ply but at a low level so as not to spread. Why not reseal the shower and leave the trim off a few months to monitor it before covering up.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back