What is best for waterproofing underside wooden floor of motorhome? (1 Viewer)

May 16, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
VW T4 Compass Calypso
Exp
Since 2007
Hi,
Have made and fitted new splash guards to stop the floor getting soaked by roads pray. Everything is drying out nicely, what is the best solution,product,method etc for sealing the exposed underfloor wooden surface.

Its going to coincide with tank removal for cleaning and inspection, so may as well do best for it.

Thanks

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I would use Waxoyl with a spray gun/lance but make sure the floor is COMPLETELY dry or you'll just seal in any moisture.
Do the whole of the underfloor including chassis and inside any box section steel.
Messy job but worth it in the long run.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
hard to beat waxoyl and its available in clear or black. I prefer to do floors in black but chassis in clear. just keep it away from the exhaust

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
My Hymer was Waxoyled from new .. I have a receipt from the previous owner.. but it still suffered wood rot on the floor behind one of the rear wheels ..

I have since repaired, and treated the repair with Hammerite Underseal.. http://www.halfords.com/motoring/pa...oval-treatment/hammerite-underbody-seal-500ml
it also contains Waxoyl..

not saying it's better than Waxoyl, only time will tell.. but it is recommended by Link Removed

thread here http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...der-garage-floor-at-rear-corner.130639/page-2

Last edited:

BazM

Free Member
Apr 17, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carioca 656
Exp
Dekalin Dekaphon 9735 not tried it yet, looks a bit expensive but apparently it's the dogs biscuits

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Hi,
Have made and fitted new splash guards to stop the floor getting soaked by roads pray. Everything is drying out nicely, what is the best solution,product,method etc for sealing the exposed underfloor wooden surface.

Its going to coincide with tank removal for cleaning and inspection, so may as well do best for it.

Thanks
Oh! Has your Compass got a wooden floor visible from underneath the van?
I must spend more time underneath our MH!!
I already have a buzzer fitted under one of the rear seats that needs it's wire(s) following to determine purpose.

Now I've an underneath sealant task & a floor type identity task. :eek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back