What is artisan bread and pastry.... (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have visited a couple of posh markets recently where artisan bread and pastries appears to be the in thing to eat. if you dont mind paying a few quid a loaf that is. I must get my wicker basket out and get myself a loaf to try. What exactly is it.......:)

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Blimey that was quick Jim. I gathered it was a con but what is it, it is flying off the shelves into traditional wicker baskets quicker that you can shake a stick at.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
People who know the price of everything and the value of nothing will no doubt think it's a con.
Hand made products cost more by their very nature, and the market for artisan products continues to grow
The market votes with their wallets I guess

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It also won't have added things like preservative in it. Just like homemade, as already mentioned.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Now if bread is made in a home bread maker with good fresh ingredients, can this be described as an artisan loaf.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
People who know the price of everything and the value of nothing will no doubt think it's a con.
Hand made products cost more by their very nature, and the market for artisan products continues to grow
The market votes with their wallets I guess
It's certainly true that the market votes with its wallet but whether it is a con is less certain in my view.

It's easy, for example, to appreciate the difference between a piece of furniture built by a cabinet maker and self assembly job from Ikea. With something like bread the difference is less pronounced. One of the things we like to do on our travels is to try out the products from local bakers. We've had some which was very good and some which wasn't and the price tended not to come into it. There is no doubt that some products sold with the "artisan" label are very good but some are simply over priced to take advantage of people too daft to know they are paying over the odds :) The latter reminds me of Harry Enfield :D

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
There is no doubt that some products sold with the "artisan" label are very good but some are simply over priced to take advantage of people too daft to know they are paying over the odds

The food snobs..
and my favourite hate... So called Framers Markets .. that also sell (sic) 'Artisan' bread , cheese etc at grossly inflated prices..

The food snob, on the other hand sees the farmers’ market as a sign of his cultured, worldly aura, attempting to project a larger cultural context and sense of social status onto the £10 fromage du merde.

He delights in telling the Saturday boy on the Spanish stand about his time on the Valencian coast, while carefully selecting some chorizo with enough marketing nonsense behind it to boast about to his dinner guests later that evening.

You see 99.9 per cent of the time, as well as being a food snob, our character delights in the activities of being a common snob; just as his bathroom is kitted out in Italian marble from a tiny village in the Tuscan foothills he had to seek out in a horse drawn cart.

The food snob buys into the farmers’ market as a luxury lifestyle brand, which serves to bolster his self-assumed air of a moneyed, well travelled man about town.

Broken Link Removed

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I always try artisan beer in France.

Mainly because the mass produced stuff tastes like sh**.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
and my favourite hate... So called Framers Markets .. that also sell (sic) 'Artisan' bread , cheese etc at grossly inflated prices..
I agree with you in most cases. The exception to the rule is Guisborough, where we go when we are not away. Many stalls have fallen by the wayside and others have come and gone but two, a farmer who sells beef and lamb and a farmer who sells pork & bacon &c and chickens, have remained. Their prices are at least as keen as butchers and supermarkets and the quality is far higher.

I think the other stallholders have gone to other local towns where people will pay the high prices they charge for goods which are often nothing exceptional (e.g. eggs sold for twice the price charged by the farmer who attends local markets and sells really tasty eggs with deep golden yolks). That is not an attempt to denigrate good quality products but I do find it irritating when they are sold as something special which they are not really :)

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
The food snobs..

The food snob, on the other hand sees the farmers’ market as a sign of his cultured, worldly aura, attempting to project a larger cultural context and sense of social status onto the £10 fromage du merde.

He delights in telling the Saturday boy on the Spanish stand about his time on the Valencian coast, while carefully selecting some chorizo with enough marketing nonsense behind it to boast about to his dinner guests later that evening.

You see 99.9 per cent of the time, as well as being a food snob, our character delights in the activities of being a common snob; just as his bathroom is kitted out in Italian marble from a tiny village in the Tuscan foothills he had to seek out in a horse drawn cart.

The food snob buys into the farmers’ market as a luxury lifestyle brand, which serves to bolster his self-assumed air of a moneyed, well travelled man about town.

Broken Link Removed
That sort of sums it up jim I enjoy a walk around these markets and she usually ends up with some tasty vittles but not yet tried this artisan stuff.:)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We have This set to open locally. Originally supposed to be next month but now, apparently, Broken Link Removed.

I was quite looking forward to it, as we've enjoyed a few visits to Borough Market over the years, but then I realised the stalls won't even be opening until lunchtime. Goodness knows why that is but I can't think of any reason other than to attract people for whom Saturday mornings don't exist (with a sub text of more money than sense :D). Even Borough Market opens two hours earlier on Saturdays.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We have This set to open locally. Originally supposed to be next month but now, apparently, Broken Link Removed.

I was quite looking forward to it, as we've enjoyed a few visits to Borough Market over the years, but then I realised the stalls won't even be opening until lunchtime. Goodness knows why that is but I can't think of any reason other than to attract people for whom Saturday mornings don't exist (with a sub text of more money than sense :D). Even Borough Market opens two hours earlier on Saturdays.

Interesting, I hope another story on that page is not an example of the fare on offer when the artisan market opens. o_O

JS85654168.jpg

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
It's when Eddie bread turns out different than we were expecting , I always say it's artisan , always tastes good though .

Reactions: GJH
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Well I do not know whether the people writing this outside their shops are in England or in France, or even if they are English in England or French in England. But deffo in the last case , they are most probably then escaping our rules/laws, as in France if you read Artisan , you're not just someone who does his job with his hands , he has to justify of a registration in the house of arts, and needs an exam. And not a simple one. Artisans in France are really different from this. But it's in France.... where the word belongs to lol !
Edit...forgot to put the link (in French)
http://www.pole-emploi.fr/actualite...commercant-et-artisan-@/article.jspz?id=61948

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
May be I should explain a bit more about our Artisans.
Most of them come from what we call "les compagnons du tour de France" ...nothing to do with cycling! Mates of France Tour they are. What is it? The search of knowledge, the search of achievement on one specific subject. It can be any job related to building, but not the way you see it usually. With time the "compagnonnage" opened his doors to the girls as it was only for boys. Also more subjects became favorite too such as Boulanger, Pâtissier, Chocolatier...etc...

Here is Wiki explanations in English

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journeyman_years

I saw someone referred to craftsman , so not a subject you totally ignore.

And here a little video of what they make. And believe me it's very different from what any of us could make in our kitchen!

Broken Link Removed

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
At the risk of starting a food fight artisan can be correctly used to describe things like cheese or bread.

Language changes over time, for example the phrase "monstrous regiment of women" meant something quite different to John Knox when he first said it in 1558 compared to how we would interpret and use it today. Monstrous meant unnatural and regiment meant rule (as in regime today) so what he was talking about was the "unnatural rule of women" and specifically certain Catholic queens of the day.

So artisan does originally refer to an individual but it is now used as a noun describing products made using traditional methods.

You will find definitions supporting this on line.

Here's one.

noun
  1. a worker in a skilled trade, especially one that involves making things by hand.
    "street markets where local artisans display handwoven textiles, painted ceramics, and leather goods"
    synonyms: Broken Link Removed, Broken Link Removed, Broken Link Removed,skilled worker, Broken Link Removed, Broken Link Removed,Broken Link Removed, Broken Link Removed, Broken Link Removed, Broken Link Removed,Broken Link Removed;More
    • (of food or drink) made in a traditional or non-mechanized way using high-quality ingredients.
      "Britain's artisan cheeses"
    • :)

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I love to buy traditional locally made goats cheese from unpasteurised milk when in France and I also like to buy meat here in the UK direct from the farm so I know where the animal grew up and how it was looked after. Believe me that cheese and many other "artisan" products are a mile away from mass produced crap. The meat is on a different planet as far as quality is concerned. For example Welsh salt marsh lamb is probably the best you will ever taste and our local Blythburgh free range pork is delicious too.

Nothing snobbish in enjoying great produce in my opinion, unless you make song and dance about it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back