What is a Truma en-route gas regulator ? (1 Viewer)

Apr 12, 2019
Midlothian
Funster No
MH
Elddis encore 250
Exp
6 years Motorhome 15 years caravaning
I am picking up a new elddis encore 250 next week the sales guys says I need to change my 7kg butane gas bottles over as the
encore 250 has a Truma en-route gas regulator ? It has a propane hose on it he says
can I not just change the hose to a butane one
thanks in advance folks

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
I think he means a crash valve that closes in the vent of a collision. It means you can use gas as you travel
Yes, you can change the pigtail to butane but butane is useless at low temperatures.

Last edited:

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
It may be an old type regulator, on the end of a hose and not attached to the back of the gas locker.
You need to change your cylinder to a Propane one (should be an easy swap). There is little point in sticking with Butane. Get a larger size, too, if it'll fit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
I am picking up a new elddis encore 250 next week the sales guys says I need to change my 7kg butane gas bottles over as the
encore 250 has a Truma en-route gas regulator ? It has a propane hose on it he says
thanks in advance folks
If your intending to use the Motorhome all year round I would ditch the butane and swap to propane
Also consider a refillable system where you can top up at Autogas pumps

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
No probably not.

I think it will not be really be about the pigtail being butane or propane but about the need for the pigtail to have a burst protection valve built into it (unless the bottle has it built in like Alugas ones). The crash protection regulator only protects the low pressure side of the system i.e. from regulator to appliances. To drive with the gas on the the high pressure side i.e. from bottle to regulator must also be protected, hence the need for a different pigtail. I suspect the burst/crash protection pigtails are not available for butane.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
If your intending to use the Motorhome all year round I would ditch the butane and swap to propane
Also consider a refillable system where you can top up at Autogas pumps
Just a piece of free advise ( with money back guarantee) the gas locker on a 250 is big enough for 2x 6kg Calor bottles...JUST
A Safefill will NOT fit in the space, so measure before you order

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
from bottle to regulator must also be protected, hence the need for a different pigtail. I suspect the burst/crash protection pigtails are not available for butane.
The Truma anti rupture hose with the German fitting should fit a butane bottle, German propane is the same thread as UK butane but they are 38 quid each.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Our 2012 Aspire 255, could only just fit two 6kg propane. In the end fitted underslung tank. This tank was fitted with a burst protection valve. This covered any large leak on the high pressure side. The on route bulkhead regulator covers any problems on the low pressure side. This allows you to travel with the gas heating on. Would advise turning the heating off prior and whilst refuelling as lit gas appliances and petrol stations don’t go together. This is why auto select fridges have a 15 min delay between turning the engine off and lighting the gas side.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
The Truma anti rupture hose with the German fitting should fit a butane bottle, German propane is the same thread as UK butane but they are 38 quid each.
But would butane be high enough pressure to hold the rupture device open?

OP
OP
K
Apr 12, 2019
Midlothian
Funster No
MH
Elddis encore 250
Exp
6 years Motorhome 15 years caravaning
Thank you all guys I have managed to source a propane bottle straight swap for a full butane one
it’s like hens teeth trying find gas bottles 🤔🤔🤔

John H.

Free Member
Apr 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer 578
Exp
A long time
There is little point in sticking with Butane
Butane has a calorfic value noticeably higher than propane. So, a better option in summer.

But, in any case I would go for Safefill

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I think that what you pay for bottled gas is roughly in proportion to the calorific value. I may be wrong as my memory is not good and it's a long time since I considered that.
Going for refillable (and SafeFill is a good idea) depends on how much gas you use. You need to recover the investment within reasonable time and it could take years if you only use it a few weeks in the year.

John H.

Free Member
Apr 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer 578
Exp
A long time
My reasoning for Safefill is not how long it takes to recover the cost.

The are so much lighter to handle and you can actually see the LPG inside so you know how full they

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Just a piece of free advise ( with money back guarantee) the gas locker on a 250 is big enough for 2x 6kg Calor bottles...JUST
A Safefill will NOT fit in the space, so measure before you order
what about 2 x ajugas with collar removed?

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Butane has a calorfic value noticeably higher than propane. So, a better option in summer.

But, in any case I would go for Safefill
But Safefill wont fit in the gas locker "hole" on an Elddis 250 ( as per OP enquiry)
Safefill are great btw, just wont fit many Elddis'

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back