Phil89a

Free Member
Apr 22, 2021
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 600 SPB
Exp
Whilst sitting outside with this strange big ball of yellow floating in an equally strange blue sky, I was thinking that hopefully my new PVC would turn up before 2025, but what have I ordered.....

Ok, I know what a Panel Van Conversion is šŸ˜€ but between Campervans and Motorhomes, where does a PVC sit?

Is it a Motorhome or is It a campervan; does having a toilet make it a Motorhome; but it isnā€™t coachbuilt so is it a campervan? But what about those little campervan these days that have a toilet in a cupboard?

I must admit, when talking about the new PVC, I always refer to it as ā€œthe campervanā€, but am I guilty of breaching the trade description act ?

Hmmm

Phil

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Must admit I was thinking of a name for the PVC the other day (more random thinking šŸ˜„) and settled on ā€œthe Vanā€ šŸ˜€

So Motorhome or Camper, it is going to be ā€œthe Vanā€ šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚
Our caravans were always just called ā€œthe vanā€ so have all our motorhomes, including the PVC.

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I call mine the van. I think of it as a Campervan though it does have a shower and a loo. Glamping van perhaps.
maybe I will start calling mine a Glamper, rather than camper , let me think can I be bothered, no , but the thought was there :unsure:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Must admit I was thinking of a name for the PVC the other day (more random thinking šŸ˜„) and settled on ā€œthe Vanā€ šŸ˜€

So Motorhome or Camper, it is going to be ā€œthe Vanā€ šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚
Yeh, in truth, ours is also regularly referred to as "the van" :giggle:

Though I guess it depends who I'm speaking to... :unsure: ;) (y)

Upvote 0

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Weā€™ve recently changed to a PVC and I thought of it as a campervan - even though it has all the facilities of our previous A class.

I tried to use the on line booking for the C&CC sites a couple of weeks ago, (when sites were open but facilities were closed) and when asked ā€œunit typeā€ I put in Campervan.

There was no availability on the first or second choice sites.

I changed ā€œunit typeā€ to Motorhome and there was availability for our chosen dates!

From this I reckon that the C&CC think of a Campervan as having no on board toilet/washing/showering facilities and a Motorhome as having them.

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Basically if your only choice is onsite bathroom facilities it's a campervan, everything else is a motor caravan.

Since type approval back in 2011/12 PVC is basically a defunct moniker as all professional builds on panel vans are on imported motor caravan, motor campervan specific bodies and can't be registered as a panel van even if the conversion doesn't take place unless you remove the leisure specific additions.

They now all build a panel van specific to the leisure industry with production line fitted battery splitters, higher capacity alternators etc. Even the smaller VW T6, Ford Custom, Vivaro etc are the same.

It's why the prices now reflect those of traditional coachbuilds as they all have motor caravan or motor campervan on the V5. The days of arguing the toss on px prices as the dealer told you "it's a panel van, log book says so" are over.

For those who build their own or the smaller bespoke converters, individual type approval (which is stricter as they thoroughly inspect every van built) means those building on used standard vans can also have motor caravan re registered as the body type.

Friend of mine up here in Yorkshire owns a known brand van conversion company.

Upvote 0

Jon B

Free Member
May 24, 2021
Darkest Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxstar 540
Exp
Since 2015
Knaus use their own term apparently...... CUV

Caravaning Utility Vehicles..... think I'll stick with Van or
Motorhome for ours :LOL:

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Basically if your only choice is onsite bathroom facilities it's a campervan, everything else is a motor caravan.

Since type approval back in 2011/12 PVC is basically a defunct moniker as all professional builds on panel vans are on imported motor caravan, motor campervan specific bodies and can't be registered as a panel van even if the conversion doesn't take place unless you remove the leisure specific additions.

They now all build a panel van specific to the leisure industry with production line fitted battery splitters, higher capacity alternators etc. Even the smaller VW T6, Ford Custom, Vivaro etc are the same.

It's why the prices now reflect those of traditional coachbuilds as they all have motor caravan or motor campervan on the V5. The days of arguing the toss on px prices as the dealer told you "it's a panel van, log book says so" are over.

For those who build their own or the smaller bespoke converters, individual type approval (which is stricter as they thoroughly inspect every van built) means those building on used standard vans can also have motor caravan re registered as the body type.

Friend of mine up here in Yorkshire owns a known brand van conversion company.
Penultimate para is incorrect as self builds even with all the requirements of DVLA will only be changed to ā€˜Van with Windowsā€™ on V5 as many will confirm on here including my own. Devon and other POP Top converted vehicles are not being given the Motor Caravan designation either.

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Penultimate para is incorrect as self builds even with all the requirements of DVLA will only be changed to ā€˜Van with Windowsā€™ on V5 as many will confirm on here including my own. Devon and other POP Top converted vehicles are not being given the Motor Caravan designation either.
Interesting, thank you. The one's I've seen have motor caravan & M1 on the V5 together with the type approval number, each being individually inspected having been imported specifically for the leisure industry. Same with IVA inspected amateur self builds with shower rooms, I've seen paperwork for them with both N1 changed & motor caravan plus the type approval number.

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Interesting, thank you. The one's I've seen have motor caravan & M1 on the V5 together with the type approval number, each being individually inspected having been imported specifically for the leisure industry. Same with IVA inspected amateur self builds with shower rooms, I've seen paperwork for them with both N1 changed & motor caravan plus the type approval number.
This has started to happen in the last 18 months so you may have been looking at older conversion, but a number of Funsters have had problems with DVLA not doing what they should, especially during Covid with staff members working from home and no apparent oversight on decisions made.

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
They are all Motorcaravans but in our house the naming is simple. If it is self propelled but doesnā€™t have a bathroom (toilet and a shower) itā€™s a Campervan. Otherwise itā€™s a MotorHome.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back