LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
What manufacturer of pure sine wave inverter to buy and how much should I expect to pay?

I have in mind a 1500 watt pure sine wave inverter. Chinese, Sterling or something else?

The battery bank will be a 220 Amp battery bank charged by a battery to battery charger which is the subject of another thread seeking advice.

The installation will be removed when we get another van.

The battery bank is to be used for 12 volt supply for a breeze cooling fan and also to power a 240 volt inverter to drive a hair dryer and possibly some low voltage phones, iPads, sat nav, iPods, iPhones and perhaps a Nespresso though not all at once! etc

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
I think it really depends on your usage, I bought one of these for the occasional use you describe

http://www.sunshinesolar.co.uk/prod...Sine_Wave_Sunshine_Power_Inverter/VP1500.html

and am very happy with it (these guys seem to have offers every now and again, at the moment the 1200W Pure sine is only £179, I paid about that for the 1500w which is currently £359 so you have to keep an eye on them). I used it (whilst driving only) to power a 240v cool box for a couple of weeks last year when I had fridge issues, worked very well, and Lady Bacchus used it for an 1100w hairdryer with great success but only for a couple of minutes at a time! Also enabled me to buy a cheap Argos TV which lives in the van in case of extreme boredom but, apart from "does it work" testing, hasn't been switched on yet...

If I lived in the van or used the inverter every day I would probably spend a grand or so on a Victron or a Sterling (I put a victron easy plus in a boat once, fantastic split charger/inverter - detects when you are on EHU and charges the batteries or runs the inverter when not, VERY user friendly but no change from a grand)

Also, for the pads, pods, PCs, and phones, get a universal 12v charger from Maplins... MUCH more efficient!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Whatever you get, think about having a remote start/stop as the inverter needs to be as close to the batteries as possible so most likely not accessible.

I fitted a Merlin pure sine which we are happy with but they are about £700.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
You really do not need an inverter for low voltage stuff like ipads, iphones, and other tablets and phones. Most only need 5v from a USB socket. We use 12v USB adapters for wife's ipad and iphone and my phone with no problem. My tablet and laptop work off higher voltage (15v and 19v) but I use 12v adapters for both that can be bought cheaply from Amazon or Ebay. Even got a 12v adapter to charge my electric shaver.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You really do not need an inverter for low voltage stuff like ipads, iphones, and other tablets and phones. Most only need 5v from a USB socket. We use 12v USB adapters for wife's ipad and iphone and my phone with no problem. My tablet and laptop work off higher voltage (15v and 19v) but I use 12v adapters for both that can be bought cheaply from Amazon or Ebay. Even got a 12v adapter to charge my electric shaver.
Quite right you don't "need" but it is quite easy to just plug in the 240 volt adapter from home and stick the inverter on, if you are worried about power plug them all in as you drive.

That's what I do anyway.

Martin

oldosc

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
Rame peninsula
Funster No
MH
1990 chausson
Exp
18 years total wild camper
God getting worried about showing off.
why do you need a pure sine wave inverter, that's for pretty sensitive stuff.
I run a bog standard chineese inverter 700 watts, TV, samsung, mac air book .
Lady J's iron(reluctantly) 800 watt, by running engine while she irons (can't break her of the habit, although sheets are out) 800 watts is 800/12 =60+ amps.+ 5%.
Best battery inverter see Stirling B to B (don't need to hack the alternator avoiding warranty problems) I gave 45 quid for my 700 watt machine some two years ago still running.(ebay()

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
I run a bog standard chineese inverter 700 watts, TV, samsung, mac air book .
Lady J's iron(reluctantly) 800 watt, by running engine while she irons (can't break her of the habit, although sheets are out) 800 watts is 800/12 =60+ amps.+ 5%.
Best battery inverter see Stirling B to B (don't need to hack the alternator avoiding warranty problems) I gave 45 quid for my 700 watt machine some two years ago still running.(ebay()
Can't believe you use an iron - on holiday!? The crumpled look is definitely de rigeur for us and everything else we have is 12V, making for an easy life on holiday.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
)
Pure sine wave to run the coffee machine as the Nespresso won't run on square wave also microwave runs a dam site better on pure(y)

Martin

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Being a single man the only thing I miss in my van is a microwave oven for TV dinners:D what size inverter would I need for average 4.5mins miking?? Happy to have engine running as well(y)

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Being a single man the only thing I miss in my van is a microwave oven for TV dinners:D what size inverter would I need for average 4.5mins miking?? Happy to have engine running as well(y)

Yep meet someone like that on Portland in a car park. We were parked next to them. Had to move when he switched everything on and then the engine. He had it running for a couple of hours on tick over. Same with generators .. Very Anti-Social especially parked near others who use 12v for everything. Even converted an electric toothbrush. We do use an inverter sometimes but it's only 300w

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
2kw should do you, with big cables and big fuse and at least 200ah of Good batteries.

Martin

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Yep meet someone like that on Portland in a car park. We were parked next to them. Had to move when he switched everything on and then the engine. He had it running for a couple of hours on tick over. Same with generators .. Very Anti-Social especially parked near others who use 12v for everything. Even converted an electric toothbrush. We do use an inverter sometimes but it's only 300w

Wow backup a bit fella, I did say 4.5 MINS and you will never be parked next to me cos I don't camp in car parks:D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back