What internet hardware do most people carry. (1 Viewer)

D

DL42846

Deleted User
I'm trying to decide what I need for internet connection when on the road. I was thinking of either an Ipad with a sim card connected to a 3G network or a laptop type of computer also connected to a 3G type network, or if I should just use my mobile phone.
What's everyone else using?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I got one of these:

Broken Link Removed

It works a treat but it does mean I have to have my laptop with me. That's not a problem as I prefer to use the laptop to the tablet - I have big fingers.

We are UK based only so can't say what it would be like outside the UK or if it would work at all. Often we are well away from anywhere we could get FON or similar even with an iBoost.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
iBoost Omni and a MiFi for access depending on location.

iPad if it's a short trip.

MacBook as well if it's a longer trip and I might have to do some work.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
I boost for me, in uk I can usually get free signal from a BT hotspot as bought a FON about a year ago, attached it to router at home that gives me access to BT hotspots free.
I boost also been very good in EU, for boosting site wifi, and finding free wifi in France, Holland, Belgium, but not in Spain were it came from!

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Tend to enjoy having a break from the net when we're away. So usually mobile data roaming package is fine for us, just to use for the odd set of directions if sat nav being naughty or research en route. Also use camp wifi if it's reasonable. If in the UK we just use normal mobile data, but again, we tend to enjoy being 'off the grid' as part of the hols.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
An unlocked mifi with an aerial (been very useful on the move) and 4G compatibility as many local sim cards in Europe now give 4G data as standard. Will be buying an iboost but currently use my lappy with a wifi aerial for site/free wifi.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Huawei unlocked 4G mifi (also got an older 3G model) so we can connect mobiles, netbook, etc concurrently.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
MiFi - as advertised on here with 4G and an iPad, iPhone and laptop connected to it. Phone for quick checks of e-mails and Fun of course, Pad for planning and checking up on destinations / search for sites. - there are other stopover searching site available, and the laptop hasn't been used in anger yet as it is intended for our longer trips. I will be looking at the iBoost option as well and talking to Adam and Sophie at Newbury Show this weekend.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I use a Huawei 5577 MiFi with a 4g aerial off Amazon. The latter cost around ÂŁ25 and is excellent, it sticks to the side window with rubber suckers. I might get an iBoost some day but internet broadband is very cheap and with the Three feel at home deal it costs the same in many European countries as the UK. If you only get one system I suggest a MiFi as it will get you a connection almost everywhere.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
4G Huawei mifi + aerial running on Three at home network has served me very well in France and Spain this year, except one site in Sarlat where I could only get 2g on it, whereas I could get a good 3g signal on my phone. Couldn't work that one out. Have not in 3 years got any sort of response from the Fon network. I don't tend to use free wifi on sites since my security software always says it is insecure. At the same time, just now it claimed that google.fr is insecure. What's all that about?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
iPad and Huawei E5573 with4g the iPad also has a data card which works ok but coverage patchy the huawei with aerial picks the signal better.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I use one of these, largely because I need wired and wireless LAN for my stuff in the van:
Broken Link Removed

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
A site wifi may be insecure but you can secure your own tablet, phone, laptop etc.
Any free, or paid for wifi is insecure really.
It is a wireless signal, but you need a receiver to receive it surely

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
A site wifi may be insecure but you can secure your own tablet, phone, laptop etc.
Any free, or paid for wifi is insecure really.
It is a wireless signal, but you need a receiver to receive it surely
But why is it the security software saying don't trust the site? Isn't the software there to attend to just that?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Just use a mifi and 3 sim with external antenna if needed. Sometimes use site wifi but only if it's free. I do have FON but never had much luck with it, it's probably better in towns, but we prefer the country.

OP
OP
D

DL42846

Deleted User
A lot of people seem to use iboost, could someone explain what that is, I seem to have been left behind with this Technology and can't find anything on ebay.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
iBoost system (modified) connect to:
Macbook
4tb server (movies,TV shows etc)
Roku USB stick
2 x phones
Internet wifi radio

Micro box for all Sky UK channels
If no internet external I have a 4G mifi

Meki

Free Member
May 18, 2016
The Earth
Funster No
MH
Hymer 640 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Android phone + iPad + Mac Book pro - I have to work occasionally - and a 'mobile wifi' by Huawei - it is excellent in France, Spain and Blighty

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Agree with comments on mifi etc I use a variation on the theme which I won't bore you with as I think you have enough to chew on! However what ever solution(s) you come up with, particularly if you have devices that don't charge via usb, (i.e 5 volts) that you have a means of charging them both on and off grid.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I now have an Iphone 6S and although I haven't been away until the van is ready I have tried it as a hotspot on 4G, wifi'ing to a tablet and it works well. I cannot get on with the phone itself as my eyesight is not good enough close in to get the screen resolution so I can read a site properly , but on the tablet it is much bigger. So I will be using that away next trip.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Android phone and tablet with iboost. Use laptop if I have ehu as using it zaps battery. Mostly only use laptop now to transfer downloaded films from my phone or tablet to my cyclone micra 3 as I do not have enough room to store them on either device.I then watch the films through my tv. Don't use as much data in the uk as we don't have aires we can use so have to use sites.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back