What I-Pad? (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Interested in a Apple Mini I Pad, Only need it for taking photos, E Mails etc what do you think.

Some have I think the name Retina what is that?

Colyboy

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Don't know what Retina means in an ipad. I've had my iPad mini about a year and a half. Love it, very light to carry in a bag/backpack. Takes good photos easily. Nothing about it I dislike.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Retina is Apple's high res display (326ppi vis 163ppi on the standard one) If you are only reading text it doesn't matter but if you watch video or look at pictures it does make a lot of difference. Well worth the extra 60 or 70 quid on the iPad mini IMO

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Love my ipad. Use it to surf the net. Read my mail and the daily mail on line ! And of course MHF. Don't do face book or twitter.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Don't know what Retina means in an ipad. I've had my iPad mini about a year and a half. Love it, very light to carry in a bag/backpack. Takes good photos easily. Nothing about it I dislike.

By how much can you zoom in? My small camera does 35X?

I mention this simply to point out that though the resolution may be OK most tablets have cameras are very limited.

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Don't buy an iPad for photo's

Buy a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3.

The iPad is OK if you are already an apple user. The Samsung has a far superior camera, with more effects, and much better results all round.

I used to train people to use these tablet computers. The Galaxy is far superior. More apps, better battery, screen is more than adequate, and easy to see in the sunlight. Plus it has the same OS (Android) as your phone (Unless you have an apple phone)

iPad has a very limited camera capability, less functionality, far lower quality picture output.

The "retina" display is just the name they give the technology used in the screen. No biggie

Reactions: JJ

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
By how much can you zoom in? My small camera does 35X?

I mention this simply to point out that though the resolution may be OK most tablets have cameras are very limited.

How much of that 35X is optical though? You loose quality with digital zoom.
Neither the iPad nor the Samsung has much optical zoom capability. They are not camera after all.....

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I'm an Android fan for phones, but there is not a tablet yet that will beat an iPad. The build quality is superb and it will outlive most the samsung products, we have the a first generation iPad that works everyday, and even though its old even it is better than ANY android tablet I've ever used, and I've used a few. IMO Nothing comes even close to the stability or usability of the iPad. Photos though is a different matter, cameras on Apple devices have only just got any good and are still way behind others.

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm an Android fan for phones, but there is not a tablet yet that will beat an iPad. The build quality is superb and it will outlive most the samsung products, we have the a first generation iPad that works everyday, and even though its old even it is better than ANY android tablet I've ever used, and I've used a few. IMO Nothing comes even close to the stability or usability of the iPad. Photos though is a different matter, cameras on Apple devices have only just got any good and are still way behind others.

Beg to differ I'm afraid. I trained dozens of people on whatever device they happened to have purchased. Probably 40% iPads, the rest Android based, many Samsungs. In every case the student leaned more quickly and easily on the Android device. I found them to be reliable and well built. Yes, the build quality of Apple is very high, and they work well, but my father had one last year which went so wrong so often apple gave him free lessons for a year it was so bad! They have gone down hill. Plus, the OP stated he wanted to use it for photography, and you can't beat the Samsung for that with any tablet.

Plus Apple are a horrible company. Seriously nasty business practices, treat there staff in China like slaves. I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole! When they had a problem with too many workers commiting suicide off the roof of their buildings they solved the problems by putting up nets to catch them. they also wrote into contracts that an atempted suicide would result in termination without pay. They employ girls as young as 16 to work 12 hour shifts for a few dollars a day. Unethical and mean spirited. And the richest technology company in the world.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Mrs BB has an iPad mini with retina display. From IT virgin to enthusiastic apple fan in the first six months. She loves it, shame I can't afford one too. Her photos are brilliant and our eleven year old goddaughter teaches her something new each and every day!

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
If your buying new then I think you will only get "retina" version as they are the latest ones.. Second hand or refurbs units may not have retina but still very useable...

GO FOR IT....

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I have an iPad mini. Love it. Great apps, easy to use, great screen too.
I've tried Android, so have all the family, but we all ended up with iPads because they are easier to use. My mother in law struggled for 4 years trying to get her Galaxy phone and android tablet to do what she wanted. She gave in and bought an iPad mini and iPhone 4 and could use them perfectly in a couple of days.
What a relief, I don't know how many times I explained how to use her Galaxy, it was just too complicated for her.
If you are going to be taking pictures to email and use on the web, the ipad will do it. Photos aren't it's best feature through, especially as the light starts to go.
Allan

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
My 5 year old loves gadgets. He has used my iPad for almost 2 years. We got him a good Android tablet and after a few days he said,

"Can I use the iPad again Dad, it's so much faster and easier to use. This (Android) Tablet is so lumpy!"...

out of the mouths of babes...........:RollEyes:

JonMac46

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
Limerick, Ireland
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2013
Recommend you look into the ProCamera HD app for the iPad rather than use Apple's one.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I wouldn't get an iPad just for photos. It can take them but as has been said you can't really beat a camera.

As for usability I consider the iPad is far superior to any other tablet I have used. For a start it is idiot proof and reliable so much so that even elderly people with no computer experience soon get the hang of them.

My daughter is now using my first generation iPad which is about 4-5 years old I think and no problems. I currently have the IPad Air which I love. Personally I would avoid the IPad 3 because the one I had was very heavy on the battery,

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I wouldn't get an iPad just for photos. It can take them but as has been said you can't really beat a camera.

As for usability I consider the iPad is far superior to any other tablet I have used. For a start it is idiot proof and reliable so much so that even elderly people with no computer experience soon get the hang of them.

My daughter is now using my first generation iPad which is about 4-5 years old I think and no problems. I currently have the IPad Air which I love. Personally I would avoid the IPad 3 because the one I had was very heavy on the battery,

I told Mrs BB what you wrote about her and she doesn't like you anymore!:D(y)

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
I've a standard sized iPad and my wife has the Mini version.

She loves hers. I love mine. I'd never have the Mini as I find it just a trifle too small. The larger version is better for zooming in on things occasionally, whereas I find myself doing that a lot on the Mini. My eyeseight is perfect, but I just prefer the larger screen.

Agree the camera isn't brilliant, but as we both have late model iPhones with good cameras, all images are shared anyway. It's easier and more convenient to take a photo with an iPhone rather than an iPad.

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
It is a joke!!!

Why do people spent £400 on an iPad just to browse the net, look at Facebook, do some emails and take the odd photo.

You can do all of this just as easily on an Android tablet costing £130.

Unless you have money to burn then an iPad is a ludicrously expensive piece of fashion technology that has been built up by amazing marketing and a me-too mentality.

I'm constantly amazed how zombie-like people are when it comes to buying iPads and iPhones. It seems perfectly rational people lose all their common sense when it comes to analysing their tech needs and then making a purchase based on those needs.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It is a joke!!!

Except an iPad will outlive 3 cheap android tablets. Infact our original iPad has outlived at least 6 Hudl and Samsung tablest (lots of kids) And the user experience just browsing is twice as good as the best Android let alone the 130 quid ones. People buy them for the same reason they buy German motorhomes ;)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It is a joke!!!

Why do people spent £400 on an iPad just to browse the net, look at Facebook, do some emails and take the odd photo.

If that's all you ever want to do you don't need to bother with a tablet at all. Any smartphone will be more than capable.
Some of us use iPads for far more than that though.

And I agree with Jim (apart from the german motorhome bit! :whistle:) Our lad has a new Nexus 7 running whatever the latest version of Andriod is and it's horrible, nearly as bad as Windows 8. I wouldn't use Andriod if they were going to pay me!

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I've bought an Anker bluetooth keyboard (excellent bit of kit ) linked to my ipad I use the Apple apps, Pages and Numbers for word processing and spreadsheets. My desktop PC is virtually redundant now I only use it for storage of photos, music and documents that I can access from my iPad or iPhone via cloud, well sorted

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
It is a joke!!!

Unless you have money to burn then an iPad is a ludicrously expensive piece of fashion technology that has been built up by amazing marketing and a me-too mentality.

I'm constantly amazed how zombie-like people are when it comes to buying iPads and iPhones. It seems perfectly rational people lose all their common sense when it comes to analysing their tech needs and then making a purchase based on those needs.

We bought our last iPad direct from Apple.

It's classed as refurbished, but to all effects they are brand new, with new cases, batteries screens etc and full 12 moths warranty. Cost £249 inc delivery....

We still have every iPad we have bought. Two are over 4 years old and run just like the day they came out of the box.

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
Crikey! Tablet wars. Clearly I'm a civilian. I've never owned a tablet and my phone cost £2.99 this year at Tesco. I push a button and speak into it and it answers back with commands using my wife's voice. How sad am I.

Kevc

Free Member
Feb 20, 2012
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Compact Leisure vehicle
Exp
Since 2011
I have to agree with Jim, I still use an iPad 1 almost every day (4 years now). OK it has no camera, but the newer versions do and the cameras are OK. Samsung ordinarily have better cameras, but both Tablet cameras will be restrictive. Doing a lot of photography really needs a camera, quick general shots will work on any of the Tablets.

The user interface is much more intuitive on the iPad, for a non users to get up to speed I think Apple have it sorted, also as has been mentioned build quality.

Whichever you go for, enjoy

Kev

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
[/QUOTE]Plus Apple are a horrible company. Seriously nasty business practices, treat there staff in China like slaves. I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole! When they had a problem with too many workers commiting suicide off the roof of their buildings they solved the problems by putting up nets to catch them. they also wrote into contracts that an atempted suicide would result in termination without pay. They employ girls as young as 16 to work 12 hour shifts for a few dollars a day. Unethical and mean spirited. And the richest technology company in the world.[/QUOTE]

I think you will find that these factories you talk about are not owned by Apple, but do do some contracted work for them.
These factories also do contract work for Microsoft, Amazon, Rim, Nintendo and Sony, so please get your facts right before making such statements.
Also the company Foxcon employ 250,000 people of which 18 have committed suicide over the last few years. I suggest you look up the amount of suicides each year, in the UK per 250,000 people. It's considerably more than 18.
I'm not saying the factories are the best places on Earth as no factories are, but they are not the "Sweat Shops" you seem to be claiming they are.

Last edited:

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
Buy a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3.
The iPad is OK if you are already an apple user. The Samsung has a far superior camera, with more effects, and much better results all round.
I used to train people to use these tablet computers. The Galaxy is far superior. More apps, better battery, screen is more than adequate, and easy to see in the sunlight. Plus it has the same OS (Android) as your phone (Unless you have an apple phone)
(y) Thanks Oddsocks you have just solved O/H birthday present.
:unsure:Think I got a deal at J. Lewis.
All he will need now is the bottle of Malt for when he's tearing his hair out over finding the footy.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

:) Jude

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I've bought an Anker bluetooth keyboard (excellent bit of kit ) linked to my ipad I use the Apple apps, Pages and Numbers for word processing and spreadsheets. My desktop PC is virtually redundant now I only use it for storage of photos, music and documents that I can access from my iPad or iPhone via cloud, well sorted

Gooney, can you give us a source for that keypad please?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back