What hobbies (other than motorhoming) do you have? (1 Viewer)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Is it possible to take images off old glass negatives? One of our friends in Spain has an old family farmhouse and in the attic piled up on the roof beams there are some glass negatives. Would be interesting to see what they are. Not sure whether they'd be bothered tho!

It's possible with a standard A4 flatbed scanner in a well-lit room provided you leave the lid up and are prepared to experiment with placing different amounts of plain paper sheets behind the glass plates to diffuse the light source .

Another option is to photograph them close up against a well-lit window and reverse the image using the negative image option in graphics software.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I was a radio Amateur and keep meaning to get my license back. I enjoy studying up on a variety of science and technology subjects. The current interest is economics.
I mess about with my guitar occasionally. I do some programming for fun. I do a bit of joinery when I get the opportunity.

Currently trying to mix my electronics and programming hobby by playing with some arduino stuff.
Just noticed this Karl.
Licences became 'for life' about 10 years ago mate..
So as long as you know your call sign you are licenced !
I believe you can download a copy of the paperwork

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofco...006/ofcom-deregulates-amateur-radio-licensing

https://ofcom.force.com/licensingcomlogin

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Oops.. in reply to the OP.. Who I suspect knows full well all my foibles and hobbies...

Over the years I have been interested in :
Train and Bus spotting ( yes, really ! )
Electronics of every type
Kite ( stunt ) flying
All sorts of RC stuff
Radio ( all sorts from broadcast to CB )
stamp collecting
Metal detecting
Motorhoming ( A tad obvious ! )
Pushbiking
Motorbiking ( all aspects )
sailing ( MANY moons ago )
banger racing ( again years ago )
custom car building
Slot car racing
fishing
air guns
collecting Zippo's
videography
photography
computer technology
graphics manipulation

And proly that list three times over with other flirtations !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
View attachment 126761 I built my 2 seater aircraft over 7 years and it's taken me to the canaries /north cape/ Croatia and over the top of mount blanc at 18000 ft,
fantastic way to travel if the weather is good, I tend to do my Motorhome touring outside the flying season,
a dream i always had to build a plane but we all have our dreams
bill

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
Washing the dishes, walk the dog, hoover, polish, make the bed, wash the dishes, walk the dog, hoover, polish, make the bed a man hasn't got time for hobbies. fun!!! fun!!! fun!!!
ps don't let mrs. tick see this she'd kill me.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Flew RC planes in my 20s then in my 30s tried my hand at speed hill climbing (Sidecar) then moved on to circuit racing. ran out of money had 11 years out, then went back & had a another go(y)
Was very interested in the flying thing @ivorantony but chucked every penny we earnt on racing, we don't regret one moment its been a blast(y) No 170 in this pic
1876_1026677620711976_6693627643023769509_n.jpg

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I let my license lapse before this came into effect. I have to find my City and Guilds certificate to get it back and I have no idea where that is.
Don't be too sure mate.. as long as you have the dates ( roughly )you will be fine.. At least two good friends had the same thing..
The only thing that is a must is the address where the original licence was sent to must be used.. I appreciate that might be a sticking point for you though :-(

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Don't be too sure mate.. as long as you have the dates ( roughly )you will be fine.. At least two good friends had the same thing..
The only thing that is a must is the address where the original licence was sent to must be used.. I appreciate that might be a sticking point for you though :-(
I have moved over 20 times since then and that is before I went fulltiming :(

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As I suspected mate.. But I would still contact them ( OfCom ) as they MUST have records ...

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Kayaking on rivers, lakes, the sea. Canoeing. Cycling. Metal detecting. Making glass jewellery. Silversmithing. . Reading. Gardening. Love medieval history. Travelling. Historical architecture :)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Until I broke my arm last Summer I played badminton twice a week, but am struggling to find the time to start again.

I have a boat, love to fish and SCUBA dive, though nowadays it's more posh snorkelling lol the days of 45 - 50m dives are gone

All things Rugby enthral me, and I would say I was a "cyclist" I do love bike rides

Luckily for me lyn either joins me or tolerates me in all these things

I am 56 and we have had umpteen motorhomes since we bought our first at 28, and as we have never been without a camper I guess that, motorhomes must be our first hobby.

Mind you, we are starting to think that we don't need a 33' monster anymore just for two of us lol

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Main hobby used to be dingy sailing, gave it up a few years ago but still have a Laser sitting in the garden & I was treasurer of the local sailing club for 20 years.
Now it's dancing, went to a Motorhome rally at Twinwood and got nagged into dancing lessons. When we are home we are now out swing dancing mainly Lindy Hop with a bit of Jiving 3 - 4 times a week, off to a tea dance this afternoon. Certainly keeps you fit.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I love to fish - both fluff chuckin' and maggot drowning, (y) walking and anything else that will get and keep me outdoors. Jane gets dragged along for the walking part, but refuses to go fishing:rolleyes: The dogs take up a large part of my spare time as well. And who can forget spending / wasting hours on MHF;)

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Scouting and all the organisation type stuff it brings, if you can call it a hobby. o_O

Plus waking, unfortunately not so much with the dog now as she is getting too old, and target shooting and fiddling around, making the impossible happen, with a bit of wire. :)

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
OK I used to do a lot of really risky stuff

Advanced open water scuba diver certed to 40m plus underwater photography
Downhill mountain biking over 40 miles a week touring too
Weightlifting
Geocaching

together with Photography /nature/ fishing/ trains and caravanning
BUT 2010 was a bad year ending up almost in hospital more than out of it and seriously ill

Now I am recovering I have to do a lot less physically

so I go Fishing using a bike trailer on my mobility scooter which gets used Geocaching too
Wildlife gets a good look in too especially insects
The Photography is still here with a Drone to add to my DSLTR
now the caravan has gone the motorhome is coming we are planning at least 180 nights away this year
the trains still entice with modelling coming up more too

Good grief when did I have time to work

Oct 24, 2021
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking To Buy
Rc Cars, CB/Ham Radio, Motocross, Gardening, Messing with real cars... Ehhh far too many interests to mention lol.

Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
like many, mine is motorbikes. since 1984. Now like riding and touring on my R1250 RT along with my son (ZX1000) and other mates at times. My wife used to enjoy being pillion but not so much nowadays.

Sponsored a racing team a couple of years ago for a few years who competed in British Supersports. They have now moved up to BSB after a year out and have asked for support for this coming season. Might do that as can also get to enjoy the racing too.

We started ballroom dancing a couple of years ago as enjoyed a few cruises. But this little bug has put pay to that recently.

We are looking forward to getting a motorhome soon though and planning a few trips to continental Europe.

also well into music and concerts. Going to download in June, mainly to see Iron Maiden. Also Shinedown are playing too.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Apart from occasional trips in the PVC (not as many as I would like but care for Duxette's mum takes priority) and lively discussions on FUN, we love modern jive and now have a weekly Tea Jive afternoon to enjoy.

Today that doesn't seem a lot, compared with the past. I used to compete in amateur motor sport at club level. I used to play 8 hours of tennis a week all year round, plus badminton. I also did loads of Salsa when that was the in thing, including weekenders at Pontins and a course in Cuba. And clubbing. Today it's trying to keep fit with Zumba Gold and Jane Fonda.

Edit: forgot to mention I used to do sound engineering for live gigs, for a funk soul band, and a Blondie tribute band.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back