What hobbies (other than motorhoming) do you have? (1 Viewer)

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
And
Used to be a 1/12 dolls house miniaturist but my eyes went and found the detail difficult .
Now like eating and sleeping oh and shopping and handbags I'm very shallow !

And purple crocs!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Walking (mountain, hills, etc), biking (mountain, road), climbing (rock, including Via Ferratas), orienteering and running in general. Reading, cooking (and eating). Used to do depoucage but stopped when had cupboards of finished pictures!

Dabbling in a bit of bird watching and visiting natural/historical sites, but saving most of this for later!

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Not sure I have a hobby as such - most of my spare time activity is linked to the jobs I do. In a sense it's quite nice to think I'm earning money from things I enjoy doing anyway.

I spend a fair bit of time buying, restoring, reviving, and repairing old odds and sods and bric a brac, mainly for resale. I particularly like scanning and restoring old photo plates and negatives that I pick up at flea markets. Not sure what to do with them yet but I'll think of something. Only a few days ago I bought a 1930s-40s family photo album containing three shots of a very early VW Beetle taken during WW2 - I'm sure they'll have some potential. I'm also involved in an area of historical re-enactment which provides opportunities to learn old skills and to work with unfamiliar materials.

I quite like doing evening classes from time to time, provided they're interesting and well taught. I also take photos whenever it suits me, which is a long standing interest I've had since childhood.

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Oh, if we're talking about the past,,,

Judo, football, cross country ( running)
And every now and again, at present,, golf !!!!!

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I particularly like scanning and restoring old photo plates and negatives

Is it possible to take images off old glass negatives? One of our friends in Spain has an old family farmhouse and in the attic piled up on the roof beams there are some glass negatives. Would be interesting to see what they are. Not sure whether they'd be bothered tho!

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Dingy sailing in the summer and curling in the winter.
A bit of skiing and hill walking when we can as well
Some other bits and bobs when time permits
Tried curling once - it was absolutely fascinating. Sadly, not much opportunity here in Suffolk. I've always been a dinghy racer (I see you sail solos - you might have met Steve Ede, a friend of mine) and have owned many, the favourite being an Osprey. Powerful easy to handle boat. Would like to take up air rifle target shooting soon

Excuse the poor technique, we had just recovered from falling off a big wave and tea-bagging my crew....

IMG_0052.JPG

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Tried curling once - it was absolutely fascinating. Sadly, not much opportunity here in Suffolk. I've always been a dinghy racer (I see you sail solos - you might have met Steve Ede, a friend of mine) and have owned many, the favourite being an Osprey. Powerful easy to handle boat. Would like to take up air rifle target shooting soon

Excuse the poor technique, we had just recovered from falling off a big wave and tea-bagging my crew....

View attachment 126890
Are you the little fat one, or the guy caught short over the side?? :tmi:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Are you the little fat one, or the guy caught short over the side?? :tmi:
Short fat one, Toots.........you don't think that a gorilla like me would dangle off a thin bit of wire, especially when there is a nut loose on the helm? Seriously........ come on....;)

OP
OP
Scotties

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
A recent similar post on the ukgser forum!

Ian

Thanks for the reminder Ian, credit to Captain Black for the original idea, but make no apologies for giving the Funsters a chance to share their passtimes and passions.

What a great variety of hobbies and isn't it nice to see there are so many bikers.(y)

Richard

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
you don't think that a gorilla like me would dangle off a thin bit of wire,
......................Or even the pump of a punctured blow up awning.........Suppose your right David. :)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Since turning vegan I have become passionate about plant based low processed cuisine
As we travel around in our van I carry all the herbs spices and ingredients for a myriad of meals that I broadcast on my YouTube channel Vegan on Wheels.
Check it out and save money by making meals from scratch !
Screenshot_2016-10-01-19-05-32.png

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Motorbikes, Reliant cars, Amateur Radio, making swarf. My 'problem' is that I like fixing and improving slightly more than using so I have lots of 'almost finished' projects.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
we had just recovered from falling off a big wave and tea-bagging my crew....
Realising that there must be a dinghy sailing specific meaning to 'tea-bagging', I looked it up, exercising due caution & choosing my search terms with care. In the context where I have come across it before, it would require an impressive level of physical agility to undertake while dinghy racing (unless sailing in very much warmer waters).

I would advise against using an internet search engine to research further, if of a sensitive disposition, without exercising all due caution. :eek::cautious:;)

(In case you were wondering, in the sense I hope @DuxDeluxe meant it, it refers to briefly dipping your crew into the water while they are out on the trapeze.)

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
it's also what the Swedish airforce search and rescue helicopter guys call the conscripts,
the conscripts are put in a survival suit and dropped into the Baltic to be picked up by a winch, hence tea bag:LOL: then promptly dropped back in again,

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Early on was all profession related. Building home computers (pre PCs) and spending hours typing in programs from the computing mags. Raced home built 1/10th scale radio controllled cars and boats. Spent several years doing sports kite team flying travelling all over the country to kite festivals. Also made some pin money from woodturning at craft fairs.

Now am into classic cars (have a 1968 MGB). Working with glass (stained glass and fused glass), hope to get my wood lathe recommisioned. As we have now retired the motorhome is taking up more time but am trying my hand at weaving and watercolours, both of which are fairly portable. Want to build a portable spinning wheel for the wife to take with us as well.

Have always played acoustic guitar and have one with me when we go away in the MH. Not quite as intrusive as a saxophone (which I also try to play!). I don't intend to get bored in my retirement!

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
A bit more than briefly, as my half drowned crew will testify.....
I did wonder, but didn't think it polite to ask. :D 'Briefly' came from the official definition - I can understand that a duck might do it differently.

Just because you like your tea on the strong side, there's no real need to leave the crew in for the same length of time. Although I guess it would increase the strength of his language .... :unsure:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Yes Anthea, & she is preventing me from crocheting much because wool is such fun to play with.
Yes I bet she will unravel everything but look at you with those puppy dog eyes and all will be forgiven!!

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I did wonder, but didn't think it polite to ask. :D 'Briefly' came from the official definition - I can understand that a duck might do it differently.

Just because you like your tea on the strong side, there's no real need to leave the crew in for the same length of time. Although I guess it would increase the strength of his language .... :unsure:
Suffice to say that Jerry was not impressed........

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Dux Deluxe
Generally stick with Solo now
Have had Ents and an EPS Laser in the past but it was trying to kill me.
Did try 470s and RS 400 but they are a a bit of a handful on the Loch where we sail.
Sailing was the main reason we first got a PVC.
Have done a bit of yacht racing but its not really my thing you seem to spend a lot of time doing not very mutch followed by a couple of minutes of mayhem while you tack etc then go and site on the side agaun

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back