What height for new motorhome? (1 Viewer)

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
We are thinking of changing our MH to give ourselves a bit more weight capacity.
I would buy a Cathago Chic C line which is 289cm high, himself wants an E Line which is 305cm high. These heights are excluding Sat dish.
I know that it does not make much difference but will we find a big change in access to car parks and shopping centres, also will we change classes at peages if we go over 3 metres?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
In theory @305 cm you would be in class3 on the tolls as would 289 cm plus a sat dish (just) but in practice you may well get away with it.

I can't see it affecting car parks and shopping centres.

Have what you want and avoid the tolls and see a bit of the country.

Martin

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Strictly speaking yes at peages, but I've found (in my 3.12m high van) that pressing the button and telling that I'm Class 2 gets it changed with no problem. The automatic machine does normally say that mine is Class 3.

Height barriers? I doubt it'll make much difference - when you get height restrictions for car parks it tends to be closer to 2m anyway. I'm sure there's the odd bridge that will affect you but not many.

Mind you, I chickened out at this one in Barmouth last week - my van is 10' 3" !

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@52.71982,-4.051272,189.33h,0.46p,1z

I didn't fancy testing if the sign was right! Logic says they must allow a few inches grace, life experience says do you really want to trust the man from the Council with a tape measure, have they resurfaced the road but not changed the sign, etc etc. Luckily the diversion to get round it was only a few hundred yards!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I don't think the difference in height will make any difference to height barriers, they are usually a lot lower so nether would get under. I believe over 3m is a higher toll cost, but I'm sure someone with more experience of toll a will be along shortly.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Would think it would make much difference really especially if you're planning on having a sat dish fitted.

We have a 3.2m Euramobil and usually get charged Class 2 but on one occasion got charged Class 4 at an automated booth. I pressed the button to say we were a camping car but he kept saying trois metre, trois metre so ended up paying Class 4.

Don't use toll roads generally and will do so even less now that we're retired and not limited on time so much.

Denise

D

DL42846

Deleted User
If your travelling across France often I would go for something under 300 cm Anything over that and your class 3 which is a lot more expensive. Under 3 meter's height and your class 2.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
If your travelling across France often I would go for something under 300 cm Anything over that and your class 3 which is a lot more expensive. Under 3 meter's height and your class 2.

True, but we've found the attendants change it to Class 2 with no quibbles. If that's down to the relaxed French attitude or the difficulties in conversing with my terrible French language skills over a crackly intercom is another matter! :D

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
So if the van height is sub 3m, but you have an accessory such as a satellite dome which breaches 3m, are you still routinely classified as Class 2 at automated toll booths?

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
I *think* they have a light beam that scans if you break the 3m limit as you approach the booth - I can't see how else it could be done - so yes, if that's right then in theory anything over 3m could trigger it, including a satellite dome, but how sensitive it is I've no idea. We certainly do, the toll booth comes up with Class 3 automatically, but it's the body of our van that is over 3m.

But given that we've not had any problems with getting it changed I wouldn't worry overly.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
True, but we've found the attendants change it to Class 2 with no quibbles. If that's down to the relaxed French attitude or the difficulties in conversing with my terrible French language skills over a crackly intercom is another matter! :D
French are fairly relaxed but every now and again they have a crack down. The difference between a class 2 and 3 is quiet a lot. I wouldn't want to get caught out especially on a long toll run.

.http://www.autoroutes.fr/FCKeditor/UserFiles/File/DEPLIANT TARIFS 2016 01(1).pdf

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We are 3.05 according to the manual and have never been charged anything other than class 2.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
My van is 2.89 with Sat Dome gives 3.4. In the past two years I have only had to pay class 3 once (teenagers on board and an August Saturday queue behind an auto booth so a bit of pressure to move on). I am caught virtually every time. Millau Bridge they did ask for the make and model once but that was fine.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
As I said earlier, the French are fairly relaxed. When I was driving a with van around Europe I was stopped by the Gendarme traffic department on a routine check on one occasion. We had to keep a log of our hours . I had been doing several runs to Belgium which was about a 19 hour return trip. When the Gendarme saw my hours he replied " this is no good" I told him of course it is, I have logged all my hours. "yes he replied, but your not supposed to do more than 12 hours a day plus you have to have a break every four and a half hours. If you get caught you will be in trouble" I thought, well if I get caught by who?
A friend was recently stopped by the police who were doing breathalyzer test.They asked him if he had been drinking. He replied " yes, I have had three glasses of Rosie wine" thinking he was going to fail the test. They told him to be more careful next time and sent him on his way without doing the test.
The police were carrying out Breathalyzer test on another occasion, I was driving a right hand drive car, they were on the left handing the breathalyzers, They gave it to my wife to do the test who was the passenger. We laughed, the Gendarme replied never mind and shrugged his shoulders, he didn't care who blew into the tester. But every now and again they will have a crack down.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I have just come through France being 3.45 high we got Class 2 on occasion and Class 3 mostly, we didn't have the Car in tow this time but when we do it's often Class 4.

Personally I think it diabolical they charge for Fresh Air! The Weight,amount of Axles, Wheel Numbers is questionable but charging for Height is seriously taking the Mickie how does it have any bearing on anything that costs them?

I do love it when they are straining to see if the Axle has 2 or 4 wheels and they get it wrong, Result !!

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I do love it when they are straining to see if the Axle has 2 or 4 wheels and they get it wrong, Result !!

I thought the Toll charge purely related to the number of axles not the number of wheels on an axle! i.e. 3 axles is much more expensive but 2 axles is OK, well you can't have less can you!

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We once had attendant come out his booth and look under the van to see how many wheels we had, most amusing as it was a rather wet day.

ruthiebabe

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1989
So if the van height is sub 3m, but you have an accessory such as a satellite dome which breaches 3m, are you still routinely classified as Class 2 at automated toll booths?
No according to the rules you are class 3. As others have said you will often be able to negotiate class 2 but it is are at their discretion.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Yes ours is 3.05 and when we once mistakenly went on a peage, it was around €26 but that was before I was on here and know what to do.

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
Our motorhome is quoted at 2.89m by the manufacture and it was about 10cms under empty but with a 25cm high sat dish on top and loaded it is just under 3m so class 2 on the tolls.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
If you plan to not do tolls in France allow plenty of time for disappearing N roads and take a spare passenger side mirror.
(y)

D

DL42846

Deleted User
Using the tolls can save you a lot of time and effort depending on where you are going. I always check the map first as some toll roads can take you miles out of your way when the national road is more direct, less miles and not much difference time wise. I wouldn't want to go through tolls as class 3 however, far too expensive.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
No problem for me off toll roads (so far) but I do stay on my side of the road.

Martin
Yes but The French sometimes do not.......especially French white van man!

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Using the tolls can save you a lot of time and effort depending on where you are going. I always check the map first as some toll roads can take you miles out of your way when the national road is more direct, less miles and not much difference time wise. I wouldn't want to go through tolls as class 3 however, far too expensive.
That's ideal if you have a destination in mind. We've been regulars to France for last 10+ years and although occasionally we might have a destination we're not bothered how long we take to get there. We soak up the sights and stop frequently and just plod away at it then meander back.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Just drive at them till you can see the white of their eyes and then jig right.

Martin
My last French WVM incident took place when he overtook me!! (so only a smell of Gauloises warned me)
I was hugged over to the r/H side edge of the road, he took my indicator repeater off, (plus the customary bang) Anyway he drove off into the distance, l used the bulb & casing from the spare mirror I carry & replaced it :)

D

DL42846

Deleted User
My last French WVM incident took place when he overtook me!! (so only a smell of Gauloises warned me)
I was hugged over to the r/H side edge of the road, he took my indicator repeater off, (plus the customary bang) Anyway he drove off into the distance, l used the bulb & casing from the spare mirror I carry & replaced it :)

Hope you got his number and report him

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I understand that if the automatic height detector puts your MH in Classe 3 due to an accessory, such as a roof box, roof rack or satellite antenna that means you break the 3m height beam, the rules are that you should use the intercom to tell the toll staff immediately that you are a "camping car" in Classe 2. This correction of incorrect tariff class should be as of right under their operator's Regulations, and does not involve use of discretion by the toll booth staff. You also have the right to contact the motorway operator company by letter or email to request a refund if you have been wrongly put in Classe 3.

PS I am in Classe 1 but on one occasion the machine made a mistake and charged me as a Classe 2 vehicle. Grrr.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back