Apr 14, 2015
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi
Offo on our first trip at the weekend and just wondered what settings you funsters use at night? Do you just use the electric and turn gas off or a mixture etc?

Thanks
mikeh71

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you've got EHU just use electric, no point in using gas when you're getting EHU anyway! We actually don't have heating on overnight in our camper - we don't go on sites so no EHU and never have heating on at home overnight so don't see why we should in the camper either - a couple of good duvets for when it's really cold and I also like to wear an old hoodie to keep my head warm.:D As I feel the cold if I had the heating on overnight the rest of the camper's occupants would be sweltering!:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
If you are on hook up use electric. We turn ours off when we go to bed because it is to warm in bed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mikeh71

mikeh71

Free Member
Apr 14, 2015
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi ok thanks for that, I just wondered as I understand that on EHU the heating is not too good but my OH is similar to you and feels the cold!! I guess just boost on gas before lights out and then run on EHU overnight !! Trial and error ....

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We had webasto, diesel heating on our previous van . It was brilliant.
So much so we are fitting it to our project Pug, the PVC.
Neither of us sleep in anything at home, and prefer not to when away too.
This new webasto that we're having can also work on electric. I think I'm right in saying so. So if on the rare occasion we have hook up, we can still have heat.

Upvote 0

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
On EHU we use heating on electric overnight.. Can just about reach from the bed to switch to gas if we need a boost in the morning..

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We've got Alde on ours. We had the thermostat set quite high so it ran through the night a couple of times over the winter. We had no EHU so that was on gas.

Upvote 0

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Well.. Our van is very well insulated too but a little heating is fine.. Use it at home and use it in the van if required. Maybe it's because we open the door to go out and windows to cook and ventilate that makes it a wee chilly sometimes. .. Wouldn't consider a van that didn't have heating..??

Upvote 0

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Warm duvet & an occasional hot water bottle but only if it is sub-zero outside or very damp. Most of the time we don't need any heating on.

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Our built in heating is gas only but we have taken a fan heater on the odd occasion we are on EHU.
The only time we use any heating at night is if there is a danger of low temperatures causing the water dump valve to operate.
We have two light duvets to which Jill has stitched some Velcro strips. We use both together in colder months and a single one in warmer months and are plenty warm enough in bed.
It doesn't take long for our heating to warm the van in the morning.

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Never found the need for heating at night even in sub zero temperatures, most vans are very well insulated.

You need to experience somewhere a bit more sub zero!
We, as do other Funsters, take our MH on ski trips.

Failure to leave the heating on WILL render your water system unusable in Alpine Winter conditions!

Upvote 0

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Once we've gone to bed we don't usually bother about heating, but, if it's 'really' cold then we leave the Truma gas heating on tickover just to ensure that the system doesn't freeze or dump our water, but having said that I usually end up having to get up during the night to turn it off 'cause it gets too hot.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Heating on electric and gas if ehu available. Gas if no ehu. Swmbo insists on temperature of 24C whether at home or away. When on ehu we also have a fan heater as the Truma electric heating is not really up to it in really cold conditions.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Heating goes off at night when we turn in. In the morning, the heater controls are on wifes side of the bed, she switches it back on and makes the coffees :D
Sadly about 2 minutes after that we tend to have a mad 6 year old jumping up and down on our bed telling us it's time to wake up!

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
SWMBO is on HRT, so some times we need the heat on, other times it's open all windows and no bedding :) :)
If she's on HRT she shouldn't be getting flushes ... I do sympathise though ... I went through it for 7 years (mine have never totally gone away:cautious:) and by dingo they are horrid, horrid things :mad: .... one minute you can be freezing the next you feel like you've fallen into a volcano! :confused:

Upvote 0

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Electric Heating on low when on EHU except when weather is warm. Boiler is under bed, toasty. If we are on gas hwmbo says we can manage without! He gets up for a loo visit and puts gas on to warm up before I get up to make the tea!

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Aye. With a huge [edited]
.... I know ... I know ....

a huge ...

nay massive ...

ginormous even ...

hunger for ....

Swedish meatballs ... (seeing as you've been dreaming of Swedish men!:ROFLMAO:)

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We had webasto, diesel heating on our previous van . It was brilliant.
So much so we are fitting it to our project Pug, the PVC.
Neither of us sleep in anything at home, and prefer not to when away too.
This new webasto that we're having can also work on electric. I think I'm right in saying so. So if on the rare occasion we have hook up, we can still have heat.
If you are getting the Webasto dual-top which we have, it has two electrical settings, 1000W and 2000W plus the diesel of course which from memory is something like the equivalent of 5000W+ so if you crank that up you can almost cook things with it! We find the 1000W setting gives nice quiet background heating when on EHU.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back