Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Me and the old one have just been talking about the lovely places we have been and seen in our first year of MHing and among the top were the Falkirk Wheel (we had a go) and a lovely CL in north Wales which has been removed from the CC's list since it wasn't up to scratch. The owners were a lovely couple. He was blind, a charming man, and she persuaded me to buy eggs for double the price they were in the local Spar and she gave them to me in a Spar box. I didn't even need them. They took us out to look at their lambs. The site was empty apart from a caravan and the owners of that went off early in the morning so Ellie, our pooch, was able to just run over an acre. Lovely memory.

Ivy

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We have had some great stays at CLs, The ones with some owner interaction are always memorable. One of the best ones I can't remember was at CL in Cornwall where the owner, (with a rather large and very red nose) insisted I share a flagon of his latest cider brew ::bigsmile:

eribiste

Free Member
Dec 16, 2008
Pershore
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
about 12
Here's the wheel, a spectacular piece of engineering if ever there was one. I don't think one can go to Scotland without stopping off at the Forth rail bridge either.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• Falkirk Wheel 1 (447 x 600).jpg
    Falkirk Wheel 1 (447 x 600).jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Forth Rail Bridge (600 x 450).jpg
    Forth Rail Bridge (600 x 450).jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 14

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
Here's the wheel, a spectacular piece of engineering if ever there was one. I don't think one can go to Scotland without stopping off at the Forth rail bridge either.

The Forth Road Bridge has a pedestrian walkway which makes a splendid walk on a nice day too :thumb: Nearest parking is the service area on the south side, (or there is also a lovely free parking area on the riverside south side between the 2 bridges.)

(Unfortunately the post Thatcher bridges like the Dartford Bridge were privatised and consequently built at minimum cost so there is no footpath on them)

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
The one time that sticks in my memory is a nights wildcamping last may in Gruinard Bay car park on the west coast of scotland, it was flat calm and warm (for may) as we walked our little dogs down onto the beach and watched salmon jumping in the estuary as the sun went down to display a fantastic sunset and the best bit was we were completely on our own, not another soul in site and if I knew how to put some photos up I would.:Blush:

Last edited:

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
Best sunset I have ever seen was sitting on cliffs on the west coast of Islay, watched it until it was pitch black, just me and thousands of sea birds screaming overhead, Iceland 600 miles away and Canada 1800 miles away, the ocean different shades of grey to blue, its a sight that will stay in my memory for ever:Smile:

shell&tell

Free Member
Oct 5, 2008
Sth Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 days high up in the French Alps at the side of a lake around 20 years ago in July , we didn't see a soul , wish it was like that now:Smile:

Tell

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
We love CL's and quiet wild spots on our own. Not that we dont like company but sometimes its great to find a place all to yourself.

The list from last year is just too long as they were so many fantastic places but one spot sticks in my mind. In the first couple of weeks of our summer tour last year we did Brittany and found this fantastic spot which we had all to ourselves. The sun shone all day, we biked around the area on our scooter and in the evening I shot this rather shaky video. The music isnt dubbed on it was playing on Mrs D's Ipod. There was nobody in the holiday homes either. I sat and drank and played guitar and it was just one of those magical evenings at the start of a life changing tour for us. I think this was when I realised that I never want to do anything else.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rEWqwKUGfY[/ame]

Cheers
The Caveman (Ivy will understand! You minx!)

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Very nice! Obviously a Scottish Island cos of the Cal Mac Ferry but I cant make out which one, my guess is Mull or Jura

Here is one of our fav spots on another Scottish Island. Quite a view to wake up to!

Link Removed

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Not quite the same vain
when we took buster and tuppence first time in the van
buster didn't bark for over 36 hours we thought he was I'll

only barked when commandant
asked if we were happy with the pitch

and the picture on his face
when the squirrel fled up a tree
he was confused and tried to follow
went back 6mnths later
got dragged to the same tree he still couldn't climb it

when we got back home he went in the front door
straight out the back and barked to announce he was home

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I think my most memorable one must have been this:

I had parted company with a long term partner at the time and was at a low ebb - I just had that 'Lost' feeling in my life - so I went for a drive......I planned on maybe popping in to see a few friends up the coast.

I had a Forest Gump moment, I drove and I drove..lol! I spent the night behind a fuel station in Holland - the attendant was amazing guy to talk to, spoke 7 languages and was pumping fuel!

I went through Germany, where I visited Pracktika - thats a hardware store, and it was opposite Lidls - a name I knew. In there I purchased a sleeping bag - darn good one too - still have it after all these years - and in practika, I browsed the shelves of motorhome conversions. All off the shelf, chose the bathroom, lounge etc - just as you wanted it! How cool!

I carried on, and went into Chec Republic, and Prague, where i met some of the lovliest and most welcoming people I ever did meet. Hada 20p mcDonalds, that actually tasted of a burger and fresh, and chuckled to myself at the boy racers outside - just like any one in the UK, just all in Skoda Estelles! I popped into the city, and took in some great buildings, raised an eyebrow at some unusual scaffolding - they had this huge bank looking building and were doing the footings. The last few courses had been removed, and the place was being held up with tree trunks!

I carried on through austria, the alps as saw what beauty i just could not describe. Whilst having lunch, I got chatting to these lads, they loved my car (big patrol). One spoke pretty good english, and to cut a long story, he liked off roading too, so went back to theres and went to see his truck.

Spent two days there - and this is where it hit me how surreal it all was - We drank vodka the first nioght which left me ill - to their amusement, the second night they agreed to 'go english' and we drank lager - to my amusement!!

In the daytime, we off roaded round his quarry - he told me he instructed the army there, and we could use anything we wanted. I got to drive some army vehicles, from jeeps to small tanks. Then after the two days I got going again, said my farewells to christof and his friends and head back home.

Took in some sights all over on the way back - but kept myself to myself. Took a wrong turn in Brussels, and ended up stuck behind this car. It was 7.30 in the morning, and i was looking for a cafe. I looked towards this house and a woman was eating cereal in the window wearing undies...they are not shy round here i thought.

After a few houses, i realised i was in the wrong end of town!!

I headed on home and that was that really - I had found myself as it were. The trip was random and unprepared, everything was just chance!! My briefcase having all my docs in being in the car, and insurer near folkestone who covered me just for the trip, it was all just chance.

It was by far the best adventure that I ever had, and could ever dream of having. I met some great people, saw some pure beauty in the alps - the villages really were picture postcard. It was a once in a lifetime thing! But it was random - and that is what made it priceless to me.

I wanted to share that adventure - so now I hire motorhomes!

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Scotland features in most of the posts on this thread....and it's not difficult to see why. The first tour I did in my camper was over to the Outer Hebrides and Barra. That was it's 'testing run'.

Having always 'gone south' in europe and seen most places, I'd long wanted to go east and visit WW2 sites which interested me. Not everyones idea of a holiday I know as I wanted to visit Concentration camps. I've now visited nine including two extermination camps of which just five existed (a marked difference between concentration camp and extermination camp with people often confusing the two).

There is still much I want to see in the east particular involving the post WW2 period.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We have had our MH just 2 years now and seen many lovely places but has to be the Outer Hebrides for me. Went there last easter and to see my Daughters face when she spotted dolphins in the bay at Vatersay and to wake up one morning and open blinds to see a Golden Eagle sitting on fence in Lewis awesome.

Although my daughters only 12 like most shes growing up fast but when we go away in the MH she seems to turn into a little girl again and loves nothing more than running around with Toby (18 month jack russel nutcase) to me that is the best part of owning our MH sitting in the middle of nowhere and watching her smile.

Well thats enough of me being al soppy now :ROFLMAO:

Gerry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back