What Have You Learned About Your Motorhome This Week? (1 Viewer)

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
laneside

I am next door, Mytholmroyd, and it's pi..p..persitently raining here now :Eeek:

Hey you are only about five miles away how about a pint or two of real ale whilst awaiting the return of the sunshine. I can even show you some of the best walks.

:rain::rain::rain::beer::beer:

Alan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Something I have learnt about my motorhome

I need a new vehicle battery. Anyone recommend a source for a good 90/100 ah battery for my Hymer S670?

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I learned that if theres no booze in the house thers allways a little left in the motorhome,:Smile:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Laughed at that one, when we run out of almost anything in the house we raid the motorhome cupboards!

BobProperty

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
It's got some damp in it I didn't know about.

I could make a real mess of any "flimsy" with a cordless jigsaw and a few minutes.

Although Calor suggest using copper olives on pipework, no plumbers merchant has copper 8mm olives, they are all brass.

I'm getting worried about the exhaust manifold.

Whoever designed the header tank and brake master cylinder reservoir location was on secondment from British Leyland.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Fridge needs a new burner :cry:
Solar panels need re-wiring correctly with a new regulator (old one was only 6Amp,when it should have been at least 15Amp)
We can't find any space for 2nd battery without losing locker space-but,hopefully when solar panels re-wired we won't need 2nd batt.
It's been in workshops for 2 weeks now-and we only had 5 weeks to get ready for next trip ::bigsmile:
Mike.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
No local garages have air pumps that go high enough to put air in the tyres.:Angry:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I discovered that I do like driving big motorhomes now I have my C1 back after long last.

Drove a Kontiki 660 down to Robertsbridge and loved it and then had to go to Eastbourne to pick up a Kontiki 665 3 litre and bring that back, drove brilliantly, loads of power and no judder even in reversing back up the forecourt.

Now both vans I had to drive back with no moosic, radios would not switch on then of course my knowledgable lot showed me where the separate on/off swiitch was on the dashboard:cry:

So I discovered two things yesterday.

Next trip down is to deliver a LHD Hobby 700, I wonder what I will discover apart from being on the wrong side of the cab:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Peter

Castaway

Free Member
Mar 2, 2008
Darlington
Funster No
MH
Gone back to tugging
Exp
40 years
Just learned that mine has failed its MOT 'cos of iffy front brakes! :cry:

BobProperty

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
Today's "What I have learnt about my motorhome". I may have an answer to the "supertanker" brakes. The brake fluid looks reasonably new but I'm not willing to take a chance on it so want to change it. So, first off, find rear brake bleed nipple and clean it. Can't find it. Check other rear brake. Go back to first rear brake. Yes, sure enough, the brake nipple has been sheared off flush with the face. As the front wheel callipers are new-ish then you can bet the brake fluid in the front end of the van is a year or two old and the stuff in the back end is late 20th century.

BobProperty

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
Just learned that mine has failed its MOT 'cos of iffy front brakes! :cry:
Front disc brakes? Luxury! We used to dream of having front disc brakes.

Seriously, at worst it will be the callipers, more likely the discs will have worn and all you will need are new discs and pads. If you are really lucky you will only need new pads.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Laughed at that one, when we run out of almost anything in the house we raid the motorhome cupboards!

But do you remember to put it back, Jean always forgets. :Doh:

My van loves the LED lights I fitted, battery hardly notices them.

Castaway

Free Member
Mar 2, 2008
Darlington
Funster No
MH
Gone back to tugging
Exp
40 years
Front disc brakes? Luxury! We used to dream of having front disc brakes.

Seriously, at worst it will be the callipers, more likely the discs will have worn and all you will need are new discs and pads. If you are really lucky you will only need new pads.

It may be a sticking piston but hopefully only pads. Apparently it failed because of an imbalance in the braking effect of the two front wheels.
They can't have a look 'til Monday so I won't know 'til then. I know they aren't trying to rip me off 'cos it's at the garage my missus works at!

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
What have you learned about your motorhome this week

No local garages have air pumps that go high enough to put air in the tyres.:Angry:

Same here, tyres need 65 psi, BP and Texeco garages only go up to 60.

Have to go to speacial tyre place:Doh:

S.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010

Same here, tyres need 65 psi, BP and Texeco garages only go up to 60.

Have to go to speacial tyre place:Doh:

Thank you...thank you :thumb:

You know you're going to have a bad week when...you read the original post about pumps "not going high enough" and assume high = distance, not = pressure. :Doh:

I've been trying to work out how a garage can be so awkward as to install a pump that won't reach the tyre valve, but didn't have the nerve the ask :Blush:

Gawd....what am I going to be like by Friday? :shout:

Porche040

Free Member
Jul 30, 2010
Chesterfield
Funster No
Exp
since July 2009
Sweet-&-Sour Tofu, Tofu Chasseur or Tofu Korma? :winky:

I've learnt that when Dunelm Mill promise to contact you in a week to let you know the mattress topper you ordered is available for pickup....they won't :Angry:

They don't bother tellling you when the cushions you ordered are available for pickup either.

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
This week we learnt that i 'can' get 400miles to a tank :thumb:
and that when we nick the can opener from the van we should put the damn thing back :Doh:

cheers....nige

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
I also learned a couple of new things yesterday, over and above my earlier today post:cry:

19.5" RV wheels and tyres are :censored:2:swear: heavy.

I also learned that taking one off next to the house wall, mmm next to, a distance from wall to hub that was slightly shorter than the diameter of tyre:Doh: is not an easy task given the affore mentioned weight:Blush:

I also, wow that's three things (need lie down), discovered yet another way of securing brake calipers to thier carriers, thought I'd seen 'em all but bloomin Americans had to come up with yet another method, actually not showing off, didn't take me long to figure and ever so simple:thumb:

This led to another discovery, bottom 'slider' on the off side was ever so slightly sticky, hence the slight bind (howly squeak) when hot and moving off stationary:thumb: Cleaned and a smear of copperslip and alls loverly now.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
flushing toilet

NOT to empty the fresh tank till i get home, as when the call of nature occurs you need it to flush on the one we have.

Serves me right for penny pinching, less weight = more mpg, but in reality its marginal from the computer thing that tells you lots of information.

AND, granchildren love waving to other vans - please wave back as even if i am busy looking in mirrors and watching plonker in front, behind and at the side of me, they will wave.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Why is it?

750 miles now.

Why is it that me coming down the road makes those at junctions decide to pull out in front of me, NOT accelerate away quickly but wait till I have had to brake and lose at least 20mph, before then accelerating away like idiots?

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
750 miles now.

Why is it that me coming down the road makes those at junctions decide to pull out in front of me, NOT accelerate away quickly but wait till I have had to brake and lose at least 20mph, before then accelerating away like idiots?

Well, I know the answer to the first bit. They see a motorhome coming and do not want to be stuck behind a slow moving vehicle.
I would try to get in front of a motorhome or large slow vehicle if I could.

The second bit :Doh: don't know.

Lesley

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back