What have you fixed on your motorhome this week? (3 Viewers)

Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
Changed my hab door opening mechanism , does anyone know where who makes this one?

Attachments

• 4D03EC72-F5F2-4438-99B5-642F46BD79CA.jpeg
    4D03EC72-F5F2-4438-99B5-642F46BD79CA.jpeg
    119.6 KB · Views: 30
Aug 13, 2016
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2017
Fixed a gas leak on our GAS-IT system that I fitted last year.
It only needed a new rubber washer on one of outlets on one bottle.
The washers are 48p on GAS-IT’s website.

Guess how much I paid for 2 washers? .........

£4.64 with p&p ..they sent them in a reused envelope the postage cost is printed on the frank and states 41p.

Bill and Tracey

Free Member
Mar 12, 2018
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autostratus CK2000
Exp
3 years on a STEEP learning curve
Not got a photo of before! Any help appreciated,View attachment 304302View attachment 304303
If you remove the trim panel on the door frame/post there are normally enough holes in the metal work behind the trim to enable access to the rear of fixings. You will need a set of visegrips to hold the thread insert from the rear while you undo the Allen bolt. Be prepared to lose some skin in the process. Good luck.

Misterg

Free Member
Dec 8, 2017
N Wales
Funster No
MH
Self build PVC
Any help appreciated,

The allen screws look like they might be fitted into things called 'riv-nuts' - these are supposed to clinch tightly into holes in the bodywork and provide a secure fixing. Sometimes, however, they don't hold properly and just spin around in their holes when you try and undo the bolt.

You can sometimes get the bolt out in these circumstances by forcing the allen key sideways at the same time as twisting it (to try and make the riv-nut bind in its hole). You have to go very gingerly though.

If the allen screw will tighten, but not loosen, you can try doing it up as tight as you possibly can to see if it tightens the riv-nut in its hole before very cautiously trying to undo it.

In any event, it should be possible to completely remove the plastic pillar trim (I don't know about older Ducatos, but on newer ones, the trim at the base needs to come off first and then it comes off quite straightforwardly - someone on here will know). Hopefully this will let you see the rear of the allen screws and ideally get a pliers or molegrips in to hold the riv-nut or whatever while you undo the allen screw.

Doh! What @Bill and Tracey said!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
collected it tuesday have wire brushed exhaust treated with kurust and painted with zinc paint also did spare wheel carrier,new wiper blades and cleaned out washer jets, changed engine oil and filter air filter and gearbox oil,all done at work with the benifit of 4 post mot ramp, just cambelt and alternator belt to be changed then can bring home

Bill and Tracey

Free Member
Mar 12, 2018
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
Exp
Bought a box of shiny new screws from local Aldi a few months ago. Found it last night whilst tidying the shed. Spent most of today replacing every accessible screw and some not so accessible. Plus screw caps. Found a couple of problems along the way. Main problem was the head height cupboards by the hab door were not attached to the wall of the van. And worryingly have been this way since it left the factory......no tool marks anywhere. All hunky dory now and squeak free. Cleaned waste water tank, hoovered through, mopped and refitted the carpets. Serviced the fridge, cleaned the oven. Exeter here we come.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Well we leave for Thetford Wednesday and yesterday the weather was nice so wound out the awning cleaned it and wound it back

EXCEPT
it wouldn't lock into the rail So whilst I was trying to getthe lock to go in Steph wound the handle and CRACK!!!!!
the lock end cap split

I have made a fix which is a good job as we cannot source a replacement

So taking lots of Epoxy on our Meander just in case

IF anyone knows of a supplier that has stock of 2007 era

Onmistore (Now Thule -Omnistore ) 6900 spares please let me know as we would like to replace it IF we can find one we are guess they only come as a pair though

Bill and Tracey

Free Member
Mar 12, 2018
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
Exp
Well we leave for Thetford Wednesday and yesterday the weather was nice so wound out the awning cleaned it and wound it back

EXCEPT
it wouldn't lock into the rail So whilst I was trying to getthe lock to go in Steph wound the handle and CRACK!!!!!
the lock end cap split

I have made a fix which is a good job as we cannot source a replacement

So taking lots of Epoxy on our Meander just in case

IF anyone knows of a supplier that has stock of 2007 era

Onmistore (Now Thule -Omnistore ) 6900 spares please let me know as we would like to replace it IF we can find one we are guess they only come as a pair though
Leisure spares.com. They are usually pretty good with most of the fiddly bits. And there are plenty of caravan recyclers out there. Also Brownhills near Nottingham have a decent service department. Good luck

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Leisure spares.com. They are usually pretty good with most of the fiddly bits. And there are plenty of caravan recyclers out there. Also Brownhills near Nottingham have a decent service department. Good luck

No no and nope so far tried Roseawnings in Hull
ALL the shops in North Derbyshire

no-one stocks them and to order them will take far too long unless we have it shipped to Twin Lakes and that increases the cost somewhat

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Sorted the Autotrail 12volt system to work while engine running, also fitted 12volt sockets & usb’s So kids will be happy while travelling :D
If you have done it the easy way, just check it is still charging the leisure batteries from the engine ;)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Rehung the washroom door so it now aligns correctly with the latch striker plate It was about 1/4" too low and has been since new. The alarm switch on the engine cover lost a bit off the back so alarm would not set.
. Couldn't find another the same so cleaned it up and refurbished it from spares box.
Dash cam packed up (quite elderly and non replaceable battery dead) replacement on route from fleabay.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Bloody rubbish construction methods! :swear:

A gap started to appear between the kitchen unit and wall under the window, it looked like the whole lot was coming apart and I envisaged having to have the whole lot taken out to refix. So emptied the wardrobe and took off a plastic angled panel that was hiding the wiring - well took off is an exaggeration, there was only 2 screws out of six holding it! Careful inspection showed the screws in the plastic clamps holding the side panel to the wall had pulled out; in fact the clamps had been fitted the wrong way round and don't look as if they have ever been holding anything so managed to prise them out without any damage.

Still had a gap but thought a bit of judicious thumping might help so found a nice block of wood and my trusty 50 year old mallet and went looking for something solid to have a go at. Success, I managed to ease the whole lot back against the wall, no gap and no damage. So refit the clamps the correct way round, tighten the screws and a thin line of sealant finished off the job nicely!

No idea how long it will last but at least it's properly fixed now!

Tomorrow it's take the fridge out to replace the mains element - have changed the 12v before so shouldn't be a problem. Then have the back off the habitation door to find out why it won't lock with the key fob - probably bent actuator road, it's happened before.

Bill and Tracey

Free Member
Mar 12, 2018
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
Exp
Bloody rubbish construction methods! :swear:

A gap started to appear between the kitchen unit and wall under the window, it looked like the whole lot was coming apart and I envisaged having to have the whole lot taken out to refix. So emptied the wardrobe and took off a plastic angled panel that was hiding the wiring - well took off is an exaggeration, there was only 2 screws out of six holding it! Careful inspection showed the screws in the plastic clamps holding the side panel to the wall had pulled out; in fact the clamps had been fitted the wrong way round and don't look as if they have ever been holding anything so managed to prise them out without any damage.

Still had a gap but thought a bit of judicious thumping might help so found a nice block of wood and my trusty 50 year old mallet and went looking for something solid to have a go at. Success, I managed to ease the whole lot back against the wall, no gap and no damage. So refit the clamps the correct way round, tighten the screws and a thin line of sealant finished off the job nicely!

No idea how long it will last but at least it's properly fixed now!

Tomorrow it's take the fridge out to replace the mains element - have changed the 12v before so shouldn't be a problem. Then have the back off the habitation door to find out why it won't lock with the key fob - probably bent actuator road, it's happened before.
Had a similar problem. Bathroom door was a bit reluctant. Turns out the wall between the bathroom and kitchen had gone walkabout. Same solution solved the problem.

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
If you have done it the easy way, just check it is still charging the leisure batteries from the engine ;)

No not the easy way, thanks for your concern :thanks5:

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Changed speedo fascia dial to mph, adjusted headlights to flat beam - hopefully will sail through the inspection tomorrow and send off for the V5. Already has twin rear high vis lamps
Nothing else required is there?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp

Well, dead chuffed. Fridge was a doddle and everything worked first time. Re-routed the heater element cables as they were rubbing on the pipework & cleaned the flue whilst it was out.
Hab door lock turned out to be a stiff pivot, cured with a drop of oil. (Must get a tube of graphite grease, would have been better).
At the same time I repaired the window blind - wasn't holding in the interim slots. Just a missing screw (again!) allowing the track to bow outwards and not engage properly.
Then a session with the steam cleaner around the hob and oven, nice and sparkly now!

Fridge shelves are getting a bit shabby (plastic coating coming off) but cost £130 to replace with new so I'll see what I can do to "refurbish" them. Any ideas?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Disconnected my two leisure batteries and checked with the battery analyser. One said ok the other needed replacement Removed the duff one and put in the boot of my car with a view to getting another the same, rechecked and result was good battery at 90% of nominal capacity. It looked like a bit of a shake on removal had improved the battery Put back in and now seems ok. (Numax 110Ah). Very odd but currently saving me the price of a new one

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Windscreen washer pump changed out with spare from local car breakers. Fiddly job but easier if the scuttle drain hose is released. Also had the aircon recharged, getting through the list!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back