What have you fixed on your motorhome this week? (2 Viewers)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I used K Seal on a Subaru that had just started leaking from one of the heads. Seemed to do the trick till I drove it and the leak started again.
I know a few people that have used that and Steel Seal, neither worked, seems you have been very lucky

Anyway, fixed a sticky cupboard door catch. Took it apart, lubricated with Super Lube synthetic grease ( if you haven't got any, you need some, it's brilliant)
Catch works better than new. Why don't they lubricate anything these days?

Allan

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I used K Seal on a Subaru that had just started leaking from one of the heads. Seemed to do the trick till I drove it and the leak started again.
I know a few people that have used that and Steel Seal, neither worked, seems you have been very lucky

Anyway, fixed a sticky cupboard door catch. Took it apart, lubricated with Super Lube synthetic grease ( if you haven't got any, you need some, it's brilliant)
Catch works better than new. Why don't they lubricate anything these days

Allan
only lasted a week then had to redo head gasket but at least i knew when i sold it it was right head scimed and rebuilt with new valve stem seals but as long as it keeps the new owner CAMPERING that is the mane thin :Smile: bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
not so much wat i have fixed a to wat have i done well rebuilt the engine for the van so we could use it till engine trains plant well removed the old engine and gear box removed gearbox from the engine only to find the fly wheels don't match and are not compatible
or interchangibil bolt holes difrant :Doh: arrrrrg
so spent til light oclock last night all of today striping original engine and cleaning all the components and inspecting them and any that nead working on by the engineering company will be sent tomorrow
well i have seen sum carbond up engine's before but noting like this on no wonder it was burning oil cylinder's are glazed polished like mirrors
i think that it has been run on wrong oil for a very long time or over heated
big ends seem ok but sending crank for inspection any way while i re hone the pots
pistons
strip clean re skim the head and rebuild the engine be finished by end of week to go back in
should have just done rebuild in first place:Doh:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
well after much work the engine is finally in the van it has not been a easy fix but hay ho
job don now just to bleed injectors plumb up radiator heater hose stick sum oil in her and away we go
new rings big ends crank case seals clutch thrust baring top end rebuild
yip hit the road bill next week is mid term wee brake i think :thumb:

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
well it's ruining after much work and head scratching the rebuild has been completed she went first turn of the key after bleeding the injectors a bit lumpy to start with but running sweet now maybe just needs sum fine tuning and a run now so happy after nearly three weeks on and off ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
i give up went for about 1hr out on a run and stooped after abut 20 miles cant seen to get it to start again bugger think fuel pump has shit it shelf :cry:
will be looking tomorrow was ruing sweet :Sad:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:Smile:Well all you technical, mechanical people..... this weeek I connected a notice board on the wall of my motorhome as you walk in through the habitation door - complete with coloured drawing pins.:Smile:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Half fitted remote switch for inverter, will finish on Saturday. My storage site is 15miles from home and found I was lacking a tool I needed to finish the job :Sad:

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
well it's bean a roller coaster of frustration but finally it is ruining good just been one of the most frustrating two three weeks of my motor homing time :cry:
got it started yesterday it stooped though the pump had s....t it's shelf :cry:
traced the fault to a broken fuel line near the tank replaced full fuel line from tank to pump that's wat i fixed today ::bigsmile:

Sarah65

Free Member
Oct 28, 2013
Bridgend Wales
Funster No
MH
Toyota hiace 1995camper
Exp
Not started yet!
Can't wait to get out!

Old happy camper but new to campervaning.::bigsmile:
Bought camper a month ago, looked forward to taking kids n dogs out this half term:Cool:
Mmmmmmm few problems emerged, rain leaks, battery, bit of rotten floor :whatthe:
Had a go but finally took it in to be repaired . :cry:
No half term holiday away in our new ( old) camper :cry:
Stay positive I keep telling myself..... Good news ,should have the van back end of week. Extra cost :Eeek: which I will send the guy I bought it from, don't hold your breath:Doh:
All a big learning curve but got loads of 365 day sites in my favourites!
And let the fun begin......soon ! :thumb:
Sarah

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Just fitted a new button to one of the Heki rooflights, the original had broken and wouldn't stay in. Got the spare from Leisure Direct.

Bill

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Bought some waste tank cleaner which will, hopefully, clean the in tank sensors and stop the gauge telling me it's full all the time.
Allan

pollensabob

Free Member
Jan 30, 2008
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
7 years
Took Autosleeper Transit in for MOT at locall garage passed ok first class service
As always from Ashurst Wood MOT and repair centre all time served mechanics.
Bob:thumb:

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Submersible water pump (again) bought a more expensive type to see if this will last a bit longer. Thankfully it failed when we were not too far away form home. We managed for a few days filling bottles out of the tank to use for the loo and washing hands etc.
This seems to be a common failure, although a friend has a motorhome for 12 years and hasn't had any failures.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
well hers hoping that we can be back on the road next week got the engine back together
it not been a easy road but hopefully by tomorrow night it will be in and ruining might nead tuning up but that's for later fingers x nothing will go wrong and we can get back on the road

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
The roof lining has shown signs of damp in the last couple of weeks so I removed both vents and re-sealed with CT1. Not used this brand before so I will b interested to see how it performs. While I was up on the roof I took the opportunity to clean and polish it. I took my trainers off so as not to damage or mark the roof and very nearly slipped off.:Doh:

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
well the lump is back in the van for the second time in fore weeks
could not believe that after rebuild braking a con-rod clamp
well reworked crank and engine later back together at last
fingers x :Eeek:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Fresh water tank filler cap was very tight so I've shaved a bit off the sides so it's much easier to get out. Been meaning to do it for weeks and only remember when I go to put another watering can of water in!

Bill

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Re-soldered the battery contacts on the PC's wireless mouse. Cost nothing, saved me a tenner.

Replaced the thermal fuse on one of the electric heaters. Cost £1.35, saved £20.

Replaced a component on the circuit board of the dehumidifier. Cost £1.96, saved £150 :Eeek:

A productive morning :thumb:

Melchior

Free Member
Jun 26, 2013
Amstelveen, Netherlands
Funster No
MH
Alcove
Exp
Since August 2012
Nobody's fixed anything for a while?

We finally got away in our MH last weekend, went to Kleve just over the NL/DE border to get our Germany fix. Arrived Friday evening in the stellplatz at about 9pm and left on Sunday morning. Well, tried to leave - engine battery was flat!! I had found the last couple of times I had to jump it off the car when taking it from the storage place. Despite it being disconnected it was discharging but this time it was only 2 nights. It was cranking the engine but nowhere near enough to start it. Got a jump off a friendly neighbour :)

So - things fixed... new battery. And... fitted a carpet! We had a new one in the bedroom at home a few weeks ago so I used the old one from there. Made up a template yesterday evening and today evening cut the carpet to size and placed it in. Never done something like this before so I'm really pleased with the result:

Take a big bit of carpet:

Cut to shape:

Throw it in..

GreenHell

Free Member
Feb 11, 2014
Lancashire Riviera
Funster No
MH
Looking for a new one
Exp
2013-2015
I've been losing coolant for a few weeks on my T5. And over the last few weeks i've changed the following:

Header tank and cap
Thermostat and housing
EGR Cooler
Oil Cooler

On Monday oil appeared in my header tank, so now the head is off and has been sent away for pressure testing. Gasket looks ok, so I suspect it's cracked. :Doh:

Hopefully have it back next week, as i'm off to Italy at the end of March :Smile:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Came over to France last week. While Mrs A was finishing washing up one evening, she complained of wet feet. Looked in the cupboards under the sink, and it was awash with washing up water. We were on a bit of a slope and the water had flowed through to under the front sofa, and out into the cab. Had to take everything out and dry it. All the electrics and batteries are under that sofa, luckily, the water wasn't deep enough to rech anything.
Found the culprit, one of the joints in the waste pipe behind the cooker had fallen apart.
Out with the trusty Gorilla Tape and fixed it back into place.
I'll glue it together properly when we get back home but disappointed that something as basic as a pipe joint hadn't been assembled right.

Allan

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Well this weekend i fixed the entertainment system.

The sat TV stopped working through the van, it plays on a flip down screen in the cab and the other TVs in the van. When away it said no signal and no matter how hard I looked I couldn't get.

So today I took the sky box the camos box the selector box and the reversing camera input box all out and went through it with a fine tooth Combe.

Eventually I tracked the problem down to a simple switch on the scart input in to the control box.

So a few hours could of been saved by locating the switch and realising that whilst loading the cupboard with food Nikki must of knocked it.
Still it was fun and it's all nice and tidy now so shouldn't give me any problems again

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Well this weekend i fixed the entertainment system.

The sat TV stopped working through the van, it plays on a flip down screen in the cab and the other TVs in the van. When away it said no signal and no matter how hard I looked I couldn't get.

So today I took the sky box the camos box the selector box and the reversing camera input box all out and went through it with a fine tooth Combe.

Eventually I tracked the problem down to a simple switch on the scart input in to the control box.

So a few hours could of been saved by locating the switch and realising that whilst loading the cupboard with food Nikki must of knocked it.
Still it was fun and it's all nice and tidy now so shouldn't give me any problems again

What about the shower door Paul?!::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back