What have you fixed on your motorhome this week? (4 Viewers)

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Had to order two sealed batteries for ours, the solar panel seems to have cooked our lead acid batteries whilst the van has been parked up. To be fair full flooded lead acid batteries in a none vented box at the side of the water and van heater seems a bit naughty but that is our friends at Brownhills sent it out. To be fair they are 3\ 3.5 years old so cannot really complain

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
nothing, but got a couple of things we need to fettle after taking the grandchildren away. Not that they broke anything just things we have lived with and they were surprised about.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Had to order two sealed batteries for ours, the solar panel seems to have cooked our lead acid batteries whilst the van has been parked up.

Your solar charge controller is not doing it's job if it lets your hab batteries cook. What's to say it will not cook your new batteries. Will it not warrant some investigation of your solar charge controller before taking the chance of ruining your expensive new batteries.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bill and Tracey

Free Member
Mar 12, 2018
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autostratus CK2000
Exp
3 years on a STEEP learning curve
The shower tap in our van is more of a valve than tap because the hose and on/off bit are two separate entities. For a while we have coped with the valve bit dribbling when operated, this weekend I had a go at it. Had to remove the access panel at the rear and disconnect the pipework and wiring (typical Elddis cowboy build quality; every connection was either loose or hand tight) luckily no leaks round the back. A new micro switch is in the post as the cable on the old one had been pinched in numerous places. Surprised anything worked. Will be all sorted by Tuesday hopefully. Also fitted a couple of straps and press studs to stop some lanky sod from stretching out and splitting the bed. And I also flushed the radiator and filled up with antifreeze.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Not do much fixed as rejigged. Decided it was ridiculous carrying £3500 worth of bikes on a tow bar rack when all the stuff in the garage is probably with less than £1000.
I've completely gutted the garage & starting again with the bikes securely tucked up in there. Now let's see what else I can get in it.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Thankfully the repair of the fresh water tank, which was damaged when I ran over a stepladder, seems to have held okay. The ladder caught the end of the drain, breaking it away from the tank. I was able to force it back into position then seal it off with Loctite Kintsuglue, a shape and fix putty that dries hard but still slightly flexible so any vibrations shouldn't affect it. I left it to harden off for a couple of days then refilled the tank. Just checked and the tank remains full with no leakages.

Never come across this stuff before, wife spotted it in Tesco, thought it looked "useful" so she bought a packet. It's quite expensive but cheaper than a new tank or a plastic weld, which would have involved taking the tank out. It dries waterproof so I'm not too concerned about water contamination - we don't drink from the tank anyway.

Bill and Tracey

Free Member
Mar 12, 2018
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
Exp
So I fitted the new micro switch for the shower valve and tightened everything up as it should be, not how Elddis left it......shower valve still leaks so a new valve is on its way. Only £9.50. Surprised me how cheap it was. The o rings in side the old one had perished and since they are shaped it's probably cheaper and easier to buy the new one. Didn't stop me from buying a set of o rings though. Best to have and not need.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Also fitted a couple of straps and press studs to stop some lanky sod from stretching out and splitting the bed.
Bondage???? :p

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
My big shiny gear knob got wobbly from too much rough action in the North York Moors. I gave it some attention and it's now standing stiff and true again.

20170402_093944.jpg

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Fitted a new tap to the sink and in doing so the hot water pipe melted on the back of the oven and started to leak. :cry:
So, purchased a heat protective sleeve (up to 277 Deg C) and encased both water pipes inside it. That's another job done and hopefully will last for several years at least.
20180724_150001_001.jpg
20180803_141125.jpg

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Connected fridge directly to leisure battery (with fuse!) fiddly job but worth it.

Finally got round to installing a Battery Master. The BM was easy to fit, but the installation of the VSR/Split charger had been poorly done. So what should have been a 15 minute job was a 3 hour 'let's do this properly' job!

All done now & I will be less worried about van starting when on my 4 week snowboarding trip this winter

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Replaced another core plug that I didn't know was there and which decided to leak on the motorway and taking an hour to stop leaking just to get Mr back to a friends. All OK now fingers crossed.

Bill and Tracey

Free Member
Mar 12, 2018
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
Exp
Parts didn't arrive in time so had to take the grandkids to Conwy and Colwyn Bay with a leaky shower tap. No matter. (Varying degrees of) Fun had by all. (Ever had to retrieve a dummy from a well used toilet cassette????) Got the kids back to mum and dad, parts for shower were ready and waiting. Another job for another day. Waved to loads of vans on the way back. Was that you? A55, M56, A51.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
So proud of this fix. Upcycled a pencil to repair the broken D holder in the door mounted bin. Almost invisible repair. Could only be improved with fawn coloured gaffer tapeView attachment 245850
Alice is so pleased with me, she has bought me a present that’s coming on Tuesday. It’s a new D holder.
Is there no end to my talents? Now that the new one came and is installed, I have used the broken ( but fixed) one to wrap the two 5m wire dog leads around. It stops them getting tangled and keeps them tidy

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Connected fridge directly to leisure battery (with fuse!) fiddly job but worth it.

Finally got round to installing a Battery Master. The BM was easy to fit, but the installation of the VSR/Split charger had been poorly done. So what should have been a 15 minute job was a 3 hour 'let's do this properly' job!

All done now & I will be less worried about van starting when on my 4 week snowboarding trip this winter
Not meaning to be critical, just curious. The fridge will not run very long on your leisure battery unless you are on electric hook up or have plenty of solar power. So if you are on hook up, why not use the fridge on mains, or better still, gas?

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Not meaning to be critical, just curious. The fridge will not run very long on your leisure battery unless you are on electric hook up or have plenty of solar power. So if you are on hook up, why not use the fridge on mains, or better still, gas?

Thanks for your concern. The fridge (Waeco CRX-50) was connected to the leisure battery via the PMS 3 control panel (a permanently 'on' connection) Voltage drop can be a problem & it's recommended that a direct connection is better. (I was also advised to do the same for the Wallas diesel heater/hob)

I don't have solar or gas, just a 110Ah leisure battery. With careful planning, I can last 3 days static, without hookup. Most of my time away is on sites with EHU, but I do have weekends away for classic bike race events without hookup and it's not a problem. That said, I have a generator for longer stays without hookup

For the record, I don't use the PMS 3 in-built charger as it is crude compared to modern chargers and eventually I will remove the PMS 3 unit - it now just does RCD for mains sockets and 12v to sockets, lighting & water pump

Rationale for no gas, is that I carry motorcycles inside the van, so I don't want naked flames and no solar as I try to keep everything as simple as possible (also it always rains at motorcycle events, so solar can't be relied on!)

Hope this satisfies your curiosity :)

Last edited:

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Thanks for your concern. The fridge (Waeco CRX-50) was connected to the leisure battery via the PMS 3 control panel (a permanently 'on' connection) Voltage drop can be a problem & it's recommended that a direct connection is better. (I was also advised to do the same for the Wallas diesel heater/hob)

I don't have solar or gas, just a 110Ah leisure battery. With careful planning, I can last 3 days static, without hookup. Most of my time away is on sites with EHU, but I do have weekends away for classic bike race events without hookup and it's not a problem. That said, I have a generator for longer stays without hookup

For the record, I don't use the PMS 3 in-built charger as it is crude compared to modern chargers and eventually I will remove the PMS 3 unit - it now just does RCD for mains sockets and 12v to sockets, lighting & water pump

Rationale for no gas, is that I carry motorcycles inside the van, so I don't want naked flames and no solar as I try to keep everything as simple as possible (also it always rains at motorcycle events, so solar can't be relied on!)

Hope this satisfies your curiosity :)
It’s good to know that you can get 3 days of fridge on the battery. Thanks for sharing the tip about direct wiring

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Popped this in the fresh tank 2 days ago and now flushing through.

Hope it’s sorted the intermittent sensors in both water tanks :)
E2CDC579-838E-4501-838C-154F37CD62A0.jpeg

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
(also it always rains at motorcycle events, so solar can't be relied on!)
Never had a problem getting power from our solar no matter what the weather, rain, hail, fog although you might have to sweep the snow off.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
im completley knackered i have just spent 2 hours polishing my wheel balance weights and they look fantastic now cant believe i have never done this before now time for a beer

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Went to change one of the high level marker lights on the van and found the fitting beginning to burn out. Ordered two new from Caravan Components and fitted them today.
upload_2018-8-12_14-37-31.png

As you can see the lens was also cracked. This was the nearside, the offside was starting to go as well. Fittings made by Hella as usual, ten years old, 65k on the clock.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I have fixed the date of the start of our next trip - fly to Gatwick, train to near Canterbury to MH, one night Canterbury P+R and charity shops for Basia, meeting for me with P+R Manager, then on DVR-DRK ferry next morning. Normandy, South of Paris and slowly back to Poland.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
How much water did you put in the tank with it?
Put in the 1kg bag and filled the tank up full. Ran it through all the taps and heater and left if for 2 days, then drained and rinsed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back