What have you fixed on your motorhome this week? (1 Viewer)

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Ah, but you didn't do them out in the snow did you. That looks suspiciously like a nice warm workshop!

In passing, what's the general opinion about using gearbox additives? Don't recall any discussion about them before but I may (and usually am!) wrong.
I added it to my SAAB some months ago and you can feel the difference.

With the imminent 5th gear issue on my 2.8JTD, I wanted to add something to coat all the gears, in an attempt to prolong any unforeseen wear and tear.

As a rule, I also won't select 5th gear, until my engine coolant gauge has started to rise. I use this as a simple means of indicating that there should have been sufficient splash lubrication to coat the 5th gear train and then select it.

Don't think Slick 50 could market it, if there was a potential issue. Been using Slick 50 for over 30 years, but only previously in my engines.

Oh and it was -4 in the workshop, but out of the wind.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
779 post never thought it would get that many
bill
i fixed the alternator belt today and changed the oil it was fairly clean but decided to do it any way
bill
Brilliant thread @Wildbill, it's way up there with some of the rest and looks quite likely to run for some time yet.

Big pat on the back bud.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
after poping in a new gear box we have had the old bus out for a shake down run we we lost 1ST 3rd 5th
so we got to ware we whare going on 2nd 4th abut 30 mils
just a small retaining slid clip had come out.
Now bogged with a clip I fund in the van and sum zip ties till I get home
Bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Not really "fixed" as not broken BUT I fixed two 80w tube heaters to the dashboard to stop the screen misting, it is all fixed with Velcro so can come out in summertime.

Works well, just a little misting either side.

image.jpeg

Hook up only.

Martin

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Finally got around to taking the Drive lights out of the box they have been sitting in , for a few months, in the garage. Half heartedly tried to find THE place to place them, but it was blowing like hell and COLD!!!:cold:
Put them back in the box:gum:

I know! I know! bloody big whimp!

Next week:laughing:

May be? :drinks:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
If had a problem with my light switch, side lights are fine but when I turn the switch further to dipped headlights it either works or they all go out!
Took horn cover off, steering wheel, cowl and complete indicator/wiper cluster off and opened it up, found the dirty contacts but what a total nightmare getting it back together.
Took nearly two hours to get back and working properly but if I had to do it again I think it would take me about fifteen minutes but you live and learn.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
From steering rack to ebay Eberspacher! I've been trying to test it. It fires up runs for a minute or two then shuts down. I'm not sure why, maybe needs properly bleeding. So I've removed it and I'm disconnecting the pipework and replacing it with two short pipes fed into a bucket of water. I can get at the bleed screw when it's off. The weather has stopped play at the moment - no snow but rain, rain, rain.
Make sure the cables are big enough first off. If the voltage falls ,or batteries aren't good they will often do exactly as yours is doing. Failing that it probably needs servicing.

As a rule, I also won't select 5th gear, until my engine coolant gauge has started to rise. I use this as a simple means of indicating that there should have been sufficient splash lubrication to coat the 5th gear train and then select it.

I do the same.:xThumb:

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Not really "fixed" as not broken BUT I fixed two 80w tube heaters to the dashboard to stop the screen misting, it is all fixed with Velcro so can come out in summertime.

View attachment 204290

Hook up only.

Martin
I like that idea. Can you give details on where they came from?

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Rear facing camera fixed. It lost its power supply due to a loose connection. Replaced plug and ran a new cable back to the fuse whilst I was at it.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Hi

Tube heaters from Screwfix and then a domestic terminal box.

Martin
Might get one for the car that we park on the drive too

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I bought a Carver Fanmaster warm air kit a few weeks ago and finally got round to fitting it over the last couple of days.
Although the gas heater kept us toasty on the coldest days, the bathroom was always a bit nippy. Now with the Fanmaster fitted we have warm air going into the bathroom and in the rear seating area.
As a bonus, it also has a mains heating element inside, not that we generally hook up to the mains, but we now have the option to keep warm on electrickery.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Been doing some odd jobs over the last few weeks. Fitted a fridge ventilation fan before Christmas. It took me longer to work out where to put the controller and how to fix the fan to the opening than actually doing the work. Since Christmas I have fitted a new spare wheel in the garage. Again lots of planning because there were no natural places to put it. Ended up having to reinforce the wall under the bed between the garage and a cupboard to make sure it could take the load. Finally I also fitted a new dash cam which my son bought me for Christmas. It is much better than the old one. Still got one or two more jobs to do.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07

View attachment 204290

Hook up only.

Martin

It's even made a little flower grow. :)

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Finally got round to fitting a Battery Master £50 from eBay.

Very pleased with the results, now the solar panel keeps the leisure battery and engine battery topped up, no need to keep the onboard charger switched on.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2005 this time
3 piece Silver Screens for the Cab

Going in for a new handbrake cable and a Rad flush tomorrow, might even get "Elite" to fit the drive lights, haven't really decided on that bit yet.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Got a few bits of "Bling" today for "IT"

Chrome Exhaust Tail Pipe fitting
2 Sheepskin Rugs (got them on the Armchairs in the house at the moment).
Couple of blind spot mirrors
Reflective tape for the mirrors

:cheers: :rofl:

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
3 years of weekending with the odd month here and there.
Just got round to permanently fitting the Mirrorguard covers that I bought a wee while ago......very smart!

Sadly I also installed 2 mouse traps because I found a few mouse droppings on the hab area carpet when I went to take "Holly" for a run yesterday. Hopefully it/they have been in, found nothing to nibble on a b*ggered off but I'll be back tomorrow to check.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
My lights went out last night thers me thinking flat battery burger any its pissed it was down all day and did not want another night fumbling around in the dark
Three hrs later I find the fault a bad connection at the fuse bord why I did not Chek those first :doh:I don't know
Any way I have lights now :D
Bill

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Fitted 2 new Varta leisure batteries and sent the Carver Cascade 2 burner module for repair( previously removed and replaced with a Henry water heater burner module that doesn’t work properly)

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
My lights went out last night thers me thinking flat battery burger any its pissed it was down all day and did not want another night fumbling around in the dark
Three hrs later I find the fault a bad connection at the fuse bord why I did not Chek those first :doh:I don't know
Any way I have lights now :D
Bill

Very strange - I'd only just read your thread last night when all our habitation lights went out. I was left with the door entry light and the overcab lights, enough to go to bed with and believed it was a fuse I'd fix in the morning.
Sods Law, everything working okay this morning but I checked the fuses anyway for poor connections. Hope its not the control unit - a Nordelectronica which don't have a very good reputation.

Musicboy

Free Member
Jul 18, 2012
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7096+
Exp
fulltiming since 2003
Managed to get the 140 w solar fitted but have to link original factory fitted Alden 100W & upgrade the regulator .
All been a slow process cos' weather. ..
Decided to upgrade front springs to heavy /comfort ... to raise front end of van ... That's 1st week Feb at Conrad Anderson ... chosen to ok reviews & just 20 mins up the road ...
Also going to fit some angled plastic trim on the roof to prevent water sitting on the joins from cab to housing ...Re nose down .... Planned out on paper , but will see if it works... Keep ya posted on that one . Hopefully water sitting will be less, once springs fitted ...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back